what do you use your frequent flyer points on?

what do you use your points on? i have used mine a few times now to upgrade to business class from syd to perth but now wish i saved them for a good trip. anyone done any good trips on them? :)

I use them for routes that you don't typically get cheap flights on, e.g. have redeemed them for flights to Moscow, Seoul, Cairo and Tehran. The Tehran points were refunded when my visa was refused, a nice feature of reward tickets (cheap tickets aren't refunded).

I wouldn't use them for an upgrade since I don't value upgrades very much.

The best bang for buck isbuying an economy fare and using the points to upgrade to business class
But obviously for international flights in premium carriers
Ie not jetstar or tiger

Accommodation at Hervey Bay. Every second year we do the trip up north for Christmas with the outlaws on the north coast of NSW.

We get accommodation vouchers for a pet friendly town house near the water so then I feel like I've had a real holiday.

We almost never use the CC these days unless no other option - ordering online for stuff.

Hence, don't accumulate many points anymore.

Our points usually get used to pay for a hire car, or towards accommodation wherever possible.

I've got about 320,000 Altitude points but don't want to "spend" them on something just because I can. I could buy a washer/dryer when I looked the other day but I don't need one, and I would want to choose the brand I want, and not just pick the one on offer through the reward system.

I spoke to a man the other day with the same card as mine and he said that what he does is shop around for the best price he can get on what he might need. Let's say he needs a washer/dryer. He rings around and gets the best price. He then calls Harvey Norman, David Jones or Myer to see if they will beat that price, or match it.

Whichever of the stores that offer vouchers through the rewards scheme will give him the best price is the store that he buys from, but he buys the gift cards and uses them to make the purchase. It means a few days waiting for the voucher to come but that is probably a better way to buy the washer/dryer than using the points to buy it.

I might find out how much the washer/dryer is and see how his method works. I reckon it would be "cheaper" than cashing in the points but haven't looked at the figures yet.

I've done this comparison with some of the rewards I've cashed in, but not for a big ticket item like a washer/dryer.

I've never used it on flights (don't fly much anyway) and don't understand the way it works. Maybe I need to check this out.

I was "saving" for flights but ended up redeeming them recently for $400 of Harvey Norman vouchers which will pay for part of a dining setting.

We use FF and velocity points on flights internationally. Use credit card reward points for Coles or target vouchers once a month or so - usually covers a weeks grocery or items we need.

Hubby "used" to travel a lot for work so junior and I would get a free trip to NZ to visit the grandparents once a year. Unfortunately have to pay our own way nowadays.

Use my Altitude rewards to cash in for Bunnings or Harvey Norman vouchers (which you can use at the much cheaper Joyce Mayne). Saving up enough for a new dishwasher atm. I use my CC for every payment possible (pay it off every month) so the points add up pretty quick ... bought my last oven with the vouchers

Flybuys tends to get me a mag subscription to Home Beautiful once a year

Last edited:
We use our FF points for domestic flights. Best value was when daughter and her two kids flew Perth-Kalgoorlie. Fares were over $1000 but took only around 12,000 Qantas points.
Marg

I've got about 320,000 Altitude points but don't want to "spend" them on something just because I can.

Cash them in for Harvey Norman vouchers - haggle the price down at Joyce Mayne (owned by HN but heaps cheaper) and then whip the vouchers out at the checkout. :D

I use ours for domestic flights .. I run as much of our business expenses through as I can (not the ones that want to hit me an extra 2% for CC)

the card gets paid out in full every month so we pay no interest and earn bucket loads of points.. Funds our aussie trips every year. I always book flights ages before so get good "prices" for my points.

Was talking to a mate about this the other day, he said not to use them on international flights because the flight value is low and you still need to pay quite a bit on taxes.

He recommended using them on domestic flights.

Nothing else to use them on really, being tight I'm not going to spend points on consumer goods for the sake of spending points.

Back