What does $1 Trillion dollars look like?

I used to think $1million was an impressive number, but after the numbers getting bandied around recently, a lousy mill doesn't seem like much now, especially seeing as we have cracked that amount, on paper anyway.

So, heres a graphic showing what $1 Trillion looks like.

http://silverbids.com/?p=1617

My defeatist attitude says we wont get there.

Dave

Or one of these

Dave

Attachments

• trillion-n.jpg
    trillion-n.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 89
Nice Dave,

And since the time you posted, it's worth less already. Knock off three zero's. By tomorrow knock off multiples thereof :p
In fact, knock off 9 zero's to start with so that it actually represents $1 trillion. ;) Nice graphic, but they got a bit carried away with those zeros.

Cheers,
Michael

In fact, knock off 9 zero's to start with so that it actually represents $1 trillion. ;) Nice graphic, but they got a bit carried away with those zeros.

Cheers,
Michael

Good pick up. I only read the "trillion" in words. So in current form of zero's it's a billion trillion.

In $US a trillion bucks would be a cube block of gold 13 metres high, wide and long. Weighing about 33,000 tonnes.

See ya's.

ps. Someone want to check the maths?

Someone want to check the maths?

OK, I'll have a crack at it.

Necessary inputs for the calculation :

1. Price of Gold = $ USD 878.08 per troy ounce (as at today)
2. 1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams
3. Specific gravity of gold = 19.3

The calculation :

1. $ USD 1 trillion (1,000,000,000,000) would buy 1,138.848 million troy ounces of gold.

2. That would weigh 35,422.144 million grams

3. There is a million grams in one metric tonne (mT).

4. So the gold would weigh 35,422.144 mT.

5. Volume of gold would be = 35,422.144 / 19.3 cubic metres

6. Volume of gold therefore is = 1,835 cubic metres.

7. Cube root of 1,835 is 12.24m

Therefore, the box of gold would have a side length of 12.24m

Obviously the variation that changes the weight and size of the box is the varying price of gold at any given day.

The wife said she wouldn't mind having that sitting in her front yard. :)

Gee's, took ya a while Dazz.

I must say I've got a massive rounding error there if you are right. I'll check your figures tomorrow though, so don't get too cocky.:D
Had too many beers right now to do it. ;)

See ya's.

Good pick up. I only read the "trillion" in words. So in current form of zero's it's a billion trillion.
Correct, or more accurately that note is for one sextillion dollars! i.e. 1 x 10^21

Wasn't long ago and Trillion was the new kid on the block to replace Billion as that uber-big number we all used. I wonder how long it will take until Quadrillion catches hold. i.e. 1,000 Trillion! At the rate Obama is going, we might need to get our head around it sooner rather than later... ;)

For the Retentive types, they're all derived from the Latin prefixes: Billion derived from Bi meaning two, Trillion from Tri for three, Quad for four etc. From Sext it continues sept, oct, non, dec etc. upwards. all from the Latin prefix. So why then is Million not Unillion derived from the Latin for one? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Michael

1 trillion dollers

1 trillion dollers is a stack of 100 doller notes lying flat on top of each other that is 26 km high , but don' t q me on this i am 80% sure its right though!

Back