What does being wealthy mean to you?

your comments make a lot of sense especially last night when i saw some dude having a go at someone else (going back 2-3 years pulling posts) and changing his signature to mock the other indivdual while going on and on.

To me - it just makes no sense as that person had not lost anything tangible other than his ego. I could debate with all my knowledge and education but it's probably be for nothing if there wasn't any monetary value attached to it

I only come on and off to see if there is any interesting discussions.
Hey but there are better ones than that....how about people who (for no apparent current reason) decide to pick fights with a poster just so they can drudge up grievances of that person's posts from years gone by! Now there's entertainment!!!!!!! :rolleyes::p

Hey but there are better ones than that....how about people who (for no apparent current reason) decide to pick fights with a poster just so they can drudge up grievances of that person's posts from years gone by! Now there's entertainment!!!!!!! :rolleyes::p

Naw, it takes two to make it entertaining:p

Cheers

Pete

Naw, it takes two to make it entertaining:p

Cheers

Pete
Thanks turk, you make a great point and I realised after I read that, that the problem was my responding to the troublesome types that get off on stirring things up. Thanks so much, I know exactly what to do now. :)

Last edited:

Indeed it had some entertainment as two parties were having a slugging match

I would have handled it differently - and just PM a legal contract wagering 10K that my figures were right and revealed everything upon acceptance. And if i was 100% confident that at least it would prove the point and as well as being paid off otherwise it is just senseless to go back and forth without an ending to it.

Indeed it had some entertainment as two parties were having a slugging match

I would have handled it differently - and just PM a legal contract wagering 10K that my figures were right and revealed everything upon acceptance. And if i was 100% confident that at least it would prove the point and as well as being paid off otherwise it is just senseless to go back and forth without an ending to it.
I must confess I didn't read ALL the posts, but I know which two posters you're referring to and the nature of the debate. I don't believe anything should have been posted up for scrutiny, or for public display. I know another poster big in the commercial arena was criticised for posting his figures, and I thought that was pretty good of him to volunteer it but I don't think HE should have had to do that for anyone's sake. A person's financial standing is between him/her and their financial adviser/banker/institution and his/her own family members; not put up for public show to appease the masses.

I know what I have, and how much and I don't care if people believe me or not. It's not about "who's got more" here but about sharing of information that is the most valuable, not who's got the biggest bank balance or portfolio or appendage!!! :rolleyes:

Being wealthy in monetary terms to me means being able to;

a) buy pretty much anything you want that the average person would like to be able to buy,
b)whenever you want, and
c)not even ask what the price is.
d)not have to work either at all or full time to afford it.

Until you can tick a-d, you are short of dollars.

I know some wealthy people who can pretty much afford anything, and live a good lifestyle, but they also work quite hard. Not necessarily because they have to, but choose to. One of them is a true workaholic.

Choice is the operative word there.

Now, surely that doesn't happen here amongst us mature, sensible, intelligent adults? :D

Being wealthy in monetary terms to me means being able to;

a) buy pretty much anything you want that the average person would like to be able to buy,
b)whenever you want, and
c)not even ask what the price is.
d)not have to work either at all or full time to afford it.

Until you can tick a-d, you are short of dollars.
The downside to being able to tick a-d (and yes there are definitely downsides to not being short of a dolar) is that much of the satisfaction associated with spending it, is the looking forward (the striving to) be able to purchase your desired X, Y or Z.

Sure...money is good to have, but there is nothing more rewarding than when you FINALLY get to buy what you've saved sooooooooo long to get. So in that regard...there is much to be said in favour of delayed gratification!

Being wealthy for me is when I can have as much passive income as working income. Of course, working income changes during your life, so I poked a stick into the sand in 2005 and set a target of $150k per year in 2005 dollar terms, with my PPOR owned outright.

Then I'll officially be wealthy.

This will mean having almost 3 times the average annual income without having to work, or pay mortgage/rent.

I'll be able to buy a new car every couple of years (swapping out the oldest of the two), travel overseas a couple of times a year, eat out when I feel like it and support my chosen charities and church.

I'll still buy my clothes at K-Mart. And I'll probably still work a bit. But I'll be free as a bird.

So...in a way being wealthy could be having all at once.

Nah...I like having things one at a time and yes the reward is a good thing to chase. If I had it all right now, I'd be bored and divorced within weeks.

I like being able to move up to the better quality items as they become replaceable and to plan for a holiday and save for it. Not that it takes too long to save, but it's a joy to take that reward and thoroughly enjoy it knowing you will do it all again in 6-12 months...another destination.

Not the high flyer, I remember where I came from and I don't want to lose friends because they are being left behind. I have very wealthy friends as well and they work far too hard for the rewards....if they ever take them that is...:eek:

Working hard because you have to, and working hard because you're an incurable workaholic are two very different creatures, even though both have their merit.

I've worked many more (and longer) hours voluntarily, than I ever did when I was part of the PAYG system.

Stopping work or "retiring" is a hard thing to do (well I think so) and it's important to keep your mind and body active, otherwise the risk of turning to pot (and no, not the weed type although I'm sure some would do that too) or even going potty :p is very real! :eek:

For me, it's not about having the available money to buy "things" but more importantly about the freedom to do things without care or concern for tomorrow.

Being wealthy for me is when I can have as much passive income as working income. Of course, working income changes during your life, so I poked a stick into the sand in 2005 and set a target of $150k per year in 2005 dollar terms, with my PPOR owned outright.

This will mean having almost 3 times the average annual income without having to work, or pay mortgage/rent.

I'll be able to buy a new car every couple of years (swapping out the oldest of the two), travel overseas a couple of times a year, eat out when I feel like it and support my chosen charities and church.

I'll still buy my clothes at K-Mart. And I'll probably still work a bit. But I'll be free as a bird.

Best post in this thread. Couldn't agree more, although I would swap the car thing for a motorbike and perhaps a nice 45 foot catamaran... :)

But replacement of exertion income with net passive income, alongside no personal debt is the name of the game for us...

Mee too...... basically summed up what I've been trying to say.

Hey looks like HE and I agree on something as well....life is great...!;)

Good question Xenia!

I personally have found that what you 'think' would be your end goal in dollar terms, turns out to be a bigger house instead :D
You begin to live like a wealthier person, unless you don't have a wife and don't mind wearing the same potato sack around.

I've found that to 'feel' wealthy in terms of living well, I would require millions in equity, and a fully paid out expensive PPOR.

I used to think I'd just keep living in the house we are now (which isn't bad, it's fairly nice but not real fancy) and leave work, going on holidays whenever we wanted, but now things seem different and the posts have been moved further.

Okay so we've embarked on this journey to becoming more wealthy.

YES!!! ...and the journey is fun for me too, I like learning.

Have you ever considered what being wealthy actually means to you?

I equate it with my independence, 'my autonomy' in the financial sense, I am responsible for my own, (financial) wellbeing/life. I am a person who regards autonomy very important 'for me as a person', and the financial aspect is part of that. Property investing is the vehicle of that. The catalyst being the seeking, the desire for as much independence as I can muster. Plus I really enjoy it.

How will you know when you are there?

I will take time to think about that...

What sacrifices will you make along the way?

...but it isn't sacrificial for me, sacrificial is not having as much autonomy as possible...I have still done, achieved and contributed the things I consider important, I have traveled extensively, I have experienced love and relationships, I have a warm, loving family..dear friends, my life I consider a very fortunate one. The sacrifice would have been my strong principle of not gaining/achieving financial independence.

What are you prepared to give up to get you there?

There is no need for me to 'give up' anything, 'sacrific' anything, I find my world is richer in many ways by investing, the networking, the people I have met, my learning curve, the education...I am a much wealthier person apart from the financial aspect if that makes sense..

A long time ago, my dad told me, "I can teach you to have a lot of money... do you really want it? Or do you want a simple life? He was so right, being rich is not simple.

With all respect to your dear dad, I have not found I have had to forgo my 'simple life'-I am by nature a person of simple character, needs, living...I am enjoying myself immensely and find investing, my modest wealth building, (once diligence and research is done), fun, learning and a game for me, I love it..

Back