What is the average time between joining the forum and buying an IP?

Apparently the majority of people get into a market near its peak and exit near its base. You can probably add those old chestnuts fear and greed to your old mate procrastination above

Because the closer the peak you are, the more 'sure' it seems that you'll make money.

The closer to the trough, the more 'sure' it seems you're going to lose more money.

If people are looking for 'sure' things, that's the exact trap they're going to step into.

It's not just about having the information or advisors or whatever. It's about having the guts to go through with it, and to do it when it looks like there are a lot of risks.

Some people just never do it, because they just can't get past the uncertainty. As usual with these sorts of topics, the average doesn't matter. Only what you do (or di not do) matters.

. The ostentation of many high earners can be their downfall.

Agreed but my suspicion is that many high earners are probably the opposite - as discussed in "millionaire next door" - you would never suspect that they are high earners from the old cars they drive, the old clothes they wear and the modest house in which they live.

Especially if you have come from a background of reasonable affluence, there is an unlikely need for ostentation. Conspicuous consumption usually afflicts those who are the "nouveau riche" who feel a need to prove something as they have come from backgrounds of scarcity.

It's real simple.

Keep earning what you earn, buy properties that yer average school teacher would buy - in a decent neighborhood - and wait.

That's about as low risk as this game gets.

And, in your case, if you use some of your saved cash - say 50% of the purchase price - the risk is even less because your cashflow from the rent is much better than the teacher who has to come up with an 80% loan or worse to get on the ladder.

Mind you; the more money borrowed and less of your own cash used means your IRR on the cash is way higher.

Or, just keep on doin' the Super and/or TD, and/or stick the cash under the mattress and hope for no break-ins while you are out.

Thank you. Due to all the regular pep talks that I regularly receive here, which by the way, I greatly appreciate, because it addresses my fears and procrastination, I have actually lined up a LOC against my PPOR for ready action should I ever find the right IP.

Thank you. Due to all the regular pep talks that I regularly receive here, which by the way, I greatly appreciate, because it addresses my fears and procrastination, I have actually lined up a LOC against my PPOR for ready action should I ever find the right IP.

Oh china....I think you just need the right push.

I hope it is OK to ask this question here:
What is the difference between LoC and equity loan, if the PPOR is unencumbered?

Agreed but my suspicion is that many high earners are probably the opposite - as discussed in "millionaire next door" - you would never suspect that they are high earners from the old cars they drive, the old clothes they wear and the modest house in which they live.

Especially if you have come from a background of reasonable affluence, there is an unlikely need for ostentation. Conspicuous consumption usually afflicts those who are the "nouveau riche" who feel a need to prove something as they have come from backgrounds of scarcity.
The reality is that most humans - unless financially educated and disciplined due to it - will fill up their income with relative consumer spending.

In this day and age - in most Western societies - the average person is spending almost - if not more than - their income.

I think the average USA Joe Thong is at about 105% of income on spending, here in Aus I heard it was 110% of income.

In the last year or so apparently the CC debt has reduced somewhat - it was said that "people are saving more"...I think it is more like reducing debt is the reality, so still mostly in the red.

I have been a keen observer of humans through my work and just in general life since beginning work some 34 years ago.

It is a common thing for folks to think higher income earners are Scrooge McDuck and get around in the old Falcon and live in rags, etc...but really that's BS.

No; folks work hard, study hard and strive to get high paying jobs for the money as a large % of their motivation - so they can spend it on a better life.

Otherwise, if there was no motivation for the money then doctors would work for free, barristers would too, and so on, and everyone would be driving around in Toyota 180B's from the 80's, etc...or catching buses and there'd be no cars on the road...certainly no Beemers and/or Mercs, etc

And the rest would simply live off the dole - because money, and doodads, and a nice life doesn't matter, right?

Last edited:
I hope it is OK to ask this question here:
What is the difference between LoC and equity loan, if the PPOR is unencumbered?

Hi Aries,

I did not know this before I joined this forum so you are in fine company.

Aaron C usually gives good answers to most questions I have about property finances.

Loc refers to line of credit. So essentially, I asked the bank to give me a loan secured against my unencumbered PPOR. But I don't pay the bank anything until I use the money. Based on the value of my PPOR, I have a LOC limit of up to 600k.

When I do find a property to purchase, I will draw from this loan / LOC and start paying interest to the bank. This way, at the end of financial year, all interest payments on the LOC is tax deductible, making for easier accounting.

Hi HA

23 years, were you one of the first to join.

Anyone else been here that long????

:D:D No. -23 meaning 23 years before I joined the forum.

Same as Player.

I have bought very few properties since joining the forum. Worst thing I did was start looking at more esoteric investments. Should have stuck to property.:eek:

Still saving for a deposit for IP while lurking on the forum. Would have done it sooner if I could, but I was almost starting over from zero 3 years ago. Bought a PPOR since and hoping to get an IP this year. Hopefully I can still get one this year with the boom happening and my deposit growing at a slow pace.

:D:D No. -23 meaning 23 years before I joined the forum.

Same as Player.

I have bought very few properties since joining the forum. Worst thing I did was start looking at more esoteric investments. Should have stuck to property.:eek:

..... and you now have 60 properties?? does that include USA;)

Just a side issue, could you imagine trying to manage 60 properties in the USA with their current PM model... that would be fun NOT:eek:

It was a few years from joining the forum to settling on our first CIP. Since then have had a few deals fall through for one reason or another. Still hoping to get CIP#2 soon.

When I joined we had a reasonably history of bog standard RIPs and PPOR equity. Sitting on that equity we were staring down the barrel of around 15 low class RIPs or one big fully managed CIP to get the same level of exposure. With the CIP providing far more net cashflow than the RIPs would have after all costs by a massive margin. Leverage appeared lower in the CIP but we would have hit the serviceability wall anyway with RIPs so there wasn't any real difference there.

I work full time and have a young family at home. I don't want the transaction and PM issues of 15 RIPs (couldn't think of much worse!) nor do I want another job as a property developer - I work too much already for my liking. I just want a good level of exposure in a leveraged investment for the future that provides good net cashflow and doesn't need a lot of my time to manage. We appear to have found that although of course it's not without its risks - nothing comes for nothing but the cashflow helps mitigate those risks.

While China could do well buying bog standard in outer suburbs RIPs, in my view he could probably do considerably better buying quality CIPs. It takes time to get comfortable with CIPs when you've never bought one before so don't beat yourself up about it - but you do have to buy something eventually (it's by far the best learning experience around!) and unfortunately yields are getting lower as IRs get lower so it becomes harder to find a good deal. I believe we all need to be mindful of the opportunity cost of settling for "second best".

Good luck in your search!

Good post as always HE.

I agree with you in that China should concentrate on getting a good CIP. He is in the position to bypass all the rubbish of dealing with lots of low yielding resi IPs and can go straiht to the good stuff, i dont see any point in going down the cheap resi path imo.

While China could do well buying bog standard in outer suburbs RIPs, in my view he could probably do considerably better buying quality CIPs. It takes time to get comfortable with CIPs when you've never bought one before so don't beat yourself up about it - but you do have to buy something eventually (it's by far the best learning experience around!) and unfortunately yields are getting lower as IRs get lower so it becomes harder to find a good deal. I believe we all need to be mindful of the opportunity cost of settling for "second best".

Good luck in your search!

Thanks Hi Equity. My thoughts exactly. I don't think that this process can be rushed. Otherwise, I could regret it forever.

Good post as always HE.

I agree with you in that China should concentrate on getting a good CIP. He is in the position to bypass all the rubbish of dealing with lots of low yielding resi IPs and can go straiht to the good stuff, i dont see any point in going down the cheap resi path imo.

But if he has a vacancy it could be a long one, and we'd never hear the end of it.

Back