What is the best landlords insurance?

I'm currently with SGIO for the property I was considering changing insurance. It looks like with Terri Scheer, if you have a claim in the first 8 weeks you are not covered. I had a quick read today of a few different policies. I'll do some more reading tomorrow. I think SGIO could be Ok and may give me the cover I may need.

They are called different names in diff states;
SGIO is a provider of car insurance, motorcycle insurance, home insurance, business insurance, travel insurance, boat insurance and caravan insurance in Western Australia. Get your insurance quotes today. For insurance in other states and territories visit NRMA Insurance in NSW, ACT & TAS, NRMA Insurance in QLD or SGIC insurance in SA. SGIO is part of the Insurance Australia Group, who also own The Buzz Car Insurance and Home Insurance.

Has anyone used them before?

We have our insurance with CGU. Have had 3 claims in 10 years including one for malicious damage which they paid out $20 000 no questions asked. Highly recommended. No sure how it compares on price.

I used to be with CGU. Nothing but trouble. Had extensive damage from tenants. I had to harass the inspector to come out after more than a week. It was urgent as there was some exposed wires and I was advised I had to wait for the inspector. After he came out he advised it was going to take about a month before he can organize the tradesman. The realestate agent insisted on using there tradesman (another long story). CGU transferred the money before the job was even started.
I tried to claim loss of rent as nobody could move in until at least the electricity was "made safe" as per their request. CGU refused to pay me loss of rent as they made up some excuse about the job should have been completed within a couple of days the inspector is out.
I have dealt with many people in CGU and they will all tell you something different and very rarely get back to you. Also overpriced.
I have not had to claim from any other insurance company so can't compare but this mob is very frustrating to deal with.
Also want to make sure your agent knows what they are doing if they are going to deal with insurance companies. If there was a name and shame section regarding agents I could list a few.

Am currently using EBM - very comparable on price and coverage is good. Have had to lodge claims (unfortunately) and have been paid each time. Would recommend them.

ok, does this fee tax deductible :
1. LL insurance ?
2. PM fee

Yes John, both items are tax deductable.

other tax deductable expenses:

Interest payments
Water Rates
Council Rates
Land Tax
Postage & admin costs
Costs of travelling to the property
Maintenance / repair costs
Accountant costs
Bank fees & charges
Depreciation

As with anything else, do your own research. I think some PMs get a kickback if they sign you up with EBM, (ours was going too).

I decided to stick with Terri Scheer. Your situation may be different though, so check out the details on the net reading through all the boring fine print.

I swapped from a insurance combo of WBC for LL and NRMA for building costing about $1100p.a. to EBM RentCover Platinum which is a combo LL/Building/Contents for $850p.a.. Happy and easy to arrange.

Back