What job would you like to do if things were different?

I realise those of us on Somersoft are people who make things happen against some pretty tough odds, but are there still those like me who would never dare to apply for their dream job for one reason or another?

OK, so for my dream jobs I was never going to be tall enough, blonde enough or have the right chest measurements.

After the Women's Movement changed all that, I will still never be confident enough to apply for a job as Presenter on Getaway. I would be really good at cruising through Europe, especially if I have my own hairdresser, makeup and wardrobe experts. It is great to see more ladies in the media these days who have dark curly hair. Do you remember when any woman in a leadership role, like Hilary Clinton or Jana Went, had straight hair? No tight curls allowed. Oprah straightens hers.

Straighten hair, dye it and get a boob job?

Not that I agree with the above. I much prefer my women shorter, dark haired, and non-front heavy.

My dream job.

Running my own construction business. I wanted to be a manager since I started uni. Implement some of the great social and environmental changes I've read about and witnessed.

Then I became a manager doing LOOOOONG days and realised, if I was going to do such long hours. It would be for my own business not someone elses.

I do exactly what I want to do and love it.
And it was investing in property that let me get where I am.

I have not achieved everything I want to yet of course.

If could do anything differently I would:
1. Have a National Town Planning Practice

2. Have a National Property Law Practice

3. Have a National Property Accounting Practice

What am I doing about the above to achieve my goals
1. I have recently opened in Rockhampton to cover central Queensland and I have almost finalised negotiations to open a Melbourne office.

2. My division of the law firm is going to be structurally separated and trade under a new property law name early in the new financial year. We are also going to open a 2nd office by Christmas.

3. I do not anticipate establishing an accounting firm within the next 3 years. If I was to come across a suitable experienced accountant that I could work with that could change.

I think it is vital to make plans and set goals but to be fluid as well. For example I was not planning on establishing interstate offices in the planning firm until I had Townsville and Cairns up and running, then my next expansion would be into NSW. But then I have a great planner who is going to move to Melbourne, he has great skills, good communicator, good networker and is a top bloke to boot. Rather than lose him I will take advantage of the opportunity.

Can I just win lotto?

I would be happy to win lotto now, But...

When I was younger I always said that I was worried that if I did win lotto I would have a lingering doubt in the back of my mind that it was the luck of that win that had made me get to where I was.

I have always wanted to earn the achievements myself. That is not to mean that I have to do it alone, having partners and learning from others are enormously important. It is the idea that if you got a lotto windfall that was more money than you could spend, would I still be driven to achieve things, or if I did use it to achieve things, would I have had the same sense of achievement.

When I was younger yea probably would have gone a bit silly with it.

Now, a nice lotto win, oh the possibilities of the achievements - fast tracking them I guess, rather than playing the waiting game to get more funds to do more things.

Dream job -

1. Competitive and successful tournament golf pro.

2. Helping homeless and disadvantaged youth/adults etc.

3. Doing both.

I would like to own a string of cattle stations like old Sydney Kidman did back in the day . Travel back and forth checking everything out and telling everyone what I want done .

I love what I do.

but, if I had to change anything I would be more involved in incubators and angel investing like this guy

I am slowly getting more involved in this world right now and love the super bright individuals it tends to attract.

Any one of the following would be gr8

Chief Whip Master in Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Fishing Guide in Fiji
Palm wine inspector in Borneo
Border Police Officer in Arizona ( provided with a muscle car )
Slumlord in Mumbai - India
Manager of Monastery in Tibet
Riot Organisor for the Uyghurs/East Turkestan Liberation Organization in China
Tea Plantation Manager in Colomo, Srilanka

I'd keep doing what I do now (write books for young people) except every manuscript I wrote would get accepted by a publisher, and I'd earn a lot more from my books than the tiny amount I make now.
:) Dreams :)
I'm working on it...

Back