What property "experts" do you rate?

I've got to say that Margaret Lomas's smile really annoys me. I haven't seen her TV show but I'm guessing she talks through her teeth. Never understood the school of thought that teaches TV women they must smile at all times especially when talking. It's fake and looks ridiculous.
I think that you a bit tough on Margaret. Let's concentrate on her content and not on her "fake" smile. I've never seen Margaret on television but have heard her speak at seminars and on the radio. I think that she always makes a lot of sense.

Henry Kaye!! I got sucked into one of his $3500 courses.. Did he go to jail? I was overseas travelling when all the court stuff was going on.
I know of many people who have paid big money to go to courses run by these so called experts. I don't know of anyone who has benefited much from these courses.

Some more:

Terry Ryder
Phil Jones (NZ - Richmastery)
Monique (Sasson) Wakelin
Anita Bell
Michael Matusik
Dolf De Roos
Nathan Birch
Kevin (Sampy) Young (Investors 'Club')
Steve Navra

You also have your Noel Whittakers/Paul Clitheroes/Daryl Dixons/Scott Papes but they're more shares or super.

I agree that reading their books may provide a purer version of their approach than using their services.
christopher joye has been spot on ever since i started taking note of him a few years ago

How do we measure the success. Is it mow much wealth the adviser/ mentor has achieved, how good a speaker or mentor the person is or how good the advice is over a long period.

Most people in the public forum are marketing a product and the buyer needs to assess the benefits based on the outcome they wish to achieve.

Met one of mum's friends the other day who has estates around London, Manhattan, HK, Shanghai, Syd, Melb, Gold Coast etc. .... she spends most of her time on board luxury cruises and shopping for pink and champagne diamonds.

Holy COW! That IS impressive!! How do I get to be like that?? How did she start? What was her strategy.

(Edge of my chair here.... :))

Step 1. Get successful.
Step 2. Tell others how you did it (for a price).

The fact is everyone on the list(s) above have been successful in some shape or form. Or maybe they're successful at marketing themselves and nothing else.

And which ones don't you rate? Feel free to rank them. Feel free to mention any I have missed. Some experts:

Michael Yardney
Stuart Wemyss
Steve McKnight
Jan Somers
Ann Somers
Peter Span
John Fitzgerald
Margaret Lomas
Paul Geizekamp
Mark Rolton
Dr Tony Hayek
Chris Grey
Dymnphna Boholt
Rick Otton
Carly Crutchfield
Rixter from Somersoft

We know that some of these experts are not everyone's cup of tea and whilst some may have a -ve experience, others may have a +ve experience. Don't be afraid to honestly say what you think.

Why thank you, thank you, thank you very much.

I don't mind Margaret Lomas - when starting out, I enjoyed her books and I don't mind watching her show if I manage to catch it.

I don't agree with her thoughts on property financing though - she's a big advocate of cross coll.

Cheers

Jamie

From what I've heard her say about cross-collateralisation, she is not necessarily an advocate, she just points out the people falsely believe that their properties are protected if they are financed by different lenders.

She says that if a lender loses out, they can still go after your other properties that are financed by a different lender (through legal action?).

I'm not an expert in this area, just showing my understanding of what she says about it.

Sorry to get off topic!

I need to find a mentor or get some advice as I've now got a reasonable portfolio but can't work out what to do next. I dont want to do a course, I think I'm past all that and have read lots of books. I had a good morgage broker (she never charged for advice) but she's moved overseas, so now I have to decide where to go next, but don't want to go to a financial advisor.

I've looked at the list and have read most of the authors and have taken bits of advice from quite a few. Should I now just concentrate on one strategy? Go see Lomas or Yardney?

Add on

Jane Slack Smith

who posts here as Buzz

Well published with a front cover story in Money mag this month, monthly features in API, YIP and SPI, and lots of interesting snippets in various other publications.

Believes in relevant and affordable education so still runs courses for less than $200 at community colleges so the average Jack and Jill can learn how to become wealthier.

I first met Janey about 10 years ago as an emerging IP player, and have been along most of the way. When I first met Jane she was a BIG WIG explosives engineer (unusual for a girl!) and carried some of the skills of that role into her investing which meant a low risk growth strategy to build a portfolio exceeding 7 mill. ( i believe there is another thread on this here somewhere)

5 years ago Jane took the focus off "herself" to help others, and in doing so set up a business to do exactly that. I could tell at the time she sensed that a lot of folks were "being taken advantage of", and rather than whinge and whine about her perspective, she made a difference right there and then ! That drive and passion is even stronger today, as evidenced by the continual commitment to help, immediate financial reward or not.

Hubby has now also left full time work and is chasing lifestyle choices, and Jane has done the same by providing superior and revolutionary wealth education "products and services".

Jane doesnt like talking publically about it, but I will :)

One of her life purposes is to create 1000 millionaires using low risk strategies so their wealth is held to benefit their families for generations to come.

Nice purpose !

ta
rolf

Me with a plan? no but I was lucky property was cheap at the time and I just kept adding to my portfolio.

What you have done is a kin to jumping in your car driving around (because petrol cost is no concern) with no particular place to go.

You now find yourself exactly where you planned on being - no particular place. Thus your confusion now

You see property investing is not about property. Property is merely the vehicle to transport you to you chosen destination.

Where your destination is and the time you choose to get there dictates the vehicle you purchase and how you drive it is your investment strategy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Add on

Jane Slack Smith

who posts here as Buzz

Well published with a front cover story in Money mag this month, monthly features in API, YIP and SPI, and lots of interesting snippets in various other publications.

Believes in relevant and affordable education so still runs courses for less than $200 at community colleges so the average Jack and Jill can learn how to become wealthier.

I first met Janey about 10 years ago as an emerging IP player, and have been along most of the way. When I first met Jane she was a BIG WIG explosives engineer (unusual for a girl!) and carried some of the skills of that role into her investing which meant a low risk growth strategy to build a portfolio exceeding 7 mill. ( i believe there is another thread on this here somewhere)

5 years ago Jane took the focus off "herself" to help others, and in doing so set up a business to do exactly that. I could tell at the time she sensed that a lot of folks were "being taken advantage of", and rather than whinge and whine about her perspective, she made a difference right there and then ! That drive and passion is even stronger today, as evidenced by the continual commitment to help, immediate financial reward or not.

Hubby has now also left full time work and is chasing lifestyle choices, and Jane has done the same by providing superior and revolutionary wealth education "products and services".

Jane doesnt like talking publically about it, but I will :)

One of her life purposes is to create 1000 millionaires using low risk strategies so their wealth is held to benefit their families for generations to come.

Nice purpose !

ta
rolf

I am a new investor and have used her mortgage broking service last year.
I follow some of her comments in magazines and also read through her websites.
She is down to earth, provides lots of information which will help investors who are just starting out like me (and many others who are experienced investors I believe).
I have purchased her discounted course on money magazine November issue.
I recommend it to all who are new and don't know where to start!

I was wondering why her name was not mentioned...
I am glad you did Rolf!

Thanks

M.Lomas.......God I hate those bloody teeth........every time I open a magazine they jump out at me as though they're ready to chomp an apple out of the palm of my hand!!.........sorry forgot to have my Avanza this evening.

Experts:

#1 Jan & Ian Somers
#2 Les, Rixter, Dazz, Brenda,......and a host of others on the forum
#3 Ron Forlee (books)

The other "experts" I tend to meet up with every now & then are:

Gut Feel and Hind Sight......these experts usually show up on Mondays for some reason; they seem to know all the footy results too.

Interestingly they coincide their visits to be just after the twins:

Ana Lysis and Para Lyisis have paid a visit and long overstayed their welcome.

:rolleyes:

Time for my meds.......night all!

None of them are "experts", none of them know any better than most other people.

I am a new investor and have used her mortgage broking
I recommend it to all who are new and don't know where to start!

How would you know if it's any good if your a "new investor"?
A. You don't, but this is what most often is uses as testimonials.

Me with a plan? no but I was lucky property was cheap at the time and I just kept adding to my portfolio.
What you have done is a kin to jumping in your car driving around (because petrol cost is no concern) with no particular place to go.
But this is what almost everyone else has done as well, and then take personal credit for what was a bull market.
And that includes that whole OP list of experts, plus a few more.

My wife's uncle (who is not a known property guru) but has amassed many (I'd guess at least 100) IPs over his long life. His advice has been very wise and useful, and is never anything like the stuff you read in published material.

Back