what renos to do for this one: Newbie Q?

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

Apologies for the newbie question,
The above property I was looking at but has now been withdrawn from sale for whatever reason. Property is in Bendigo, asking price, approx $160k, 2bdr, small block, current rent, my guess $170pw, after reno, my guess $220-$230pw.

Since its an entry level pricing + regional, don't want to go overboard and keep it basic. Want to make it look newish and not an old house that looks a bit nice, so I guess the works on a budget.

1. 2nd pic: what could you do to the 2 stage walls, was thinking of using a bright white paint from top to bottom getting rid of the bumps, and possibly on the ceiling as well

2. in the bedrooms, what do you recommend for cheapest but neat, polished floor boards
This is what I was thinking: (everything done by professional except paints)

Paint: $500 + my labour
Kitchen: $2000 (includes, bench, shelves)+ labour
carpet: $5000+ labour
Tiles: (kitchen area) $2000 + labour
bathroom: $2000 + labour (includes sinks, taps, shower)
electrical work: $1000

I guess I want my kitchen to look something like this (maybe a bit brighter lights)
image4.jpg

or
image2.jpg

that comes up to $12,500 + labour (say $5000) which brings it up to $17500
but ive heard people do renovations for $7000

Am I on the right track at all?

This is what I was thinking: (everything done by professional except paints)

Paint: $500 + my labour
Kitchen: $2000 (includes, bench, shelves)+ labour
carpet: $5000+ labour
Tiles: (kitchen area) $2000 + labour
bathroom: $2000 + labour (includes sinks, taps, shower)
electrical work: $1000

that comes up to $12,500 + labour (say $5000) which brings it up to $17500
but ive heard people do renovations for $7000

Am I on the right track at all?

Kitchen would be more if a decent size. For $2K you would only get a small kitchen + stove + plumbing if you need to move anything. Tiles won't be anywhere near $2K (maybe a few hundred- they don't need to be fancy). We just use Bunnings white ones. Tiling a splashback is easy.

Carpet shouldn't be that much (and it would include laying). Decent carpet for a standard 3 bedroom would be half that. If you polish living ares would be less again.
Bathroom. If you strip it yourself, will save some money (same with the kitchen).
Elecrical- depends on how much work. $1K would be nearly a days rate.

The more you do yourself the cheaper it is (of course)- assuming you don't stuff anything.
I would suggest at least- rip out the kitchen, bathroom (check for asbestos though),carpet and old lino or whatever is on the floor. If the tradies can get in with a clean slate it saves time. Time = money.

It looks like the stove is in the old wood stove recess with chimney,is this the case?

If that is the case I would rip that area out and run the new kitchen along that wall and use the chimney for the new exhaust fan,

Picture 2: I actually like the edge shelving around the room,
Just strip the wallpaper off ,paint the ceiling and top wall in the same white,paint the lower walls in another color of your choice.

In the bathroom I possibly would be shifting the shower from where it is(Depends if it is on stumps or a cement slab)to the far wall,using a bath/shower setup with tiles to the ceilings or similar.
Put a nice vanity where the shower is now.

thanks everyone,

i ve just been doing a fair bit of reading, and it seems that Nathan does a $6900 reno which includes, kitchen, carpet and paint, bathroom

Can anybody explain what the exact process is?

That would be greatly appreciated, that would save me major $$$$, and I could save the rest on lights etc.

Back