What to do?

A few months ago, the brick fence of my IP was damaged. As I am overseas, I can't do anything except agree to the agent who insisted that it should be removed to avoid causing harm to pedestrians in case it collapsed. (See the first photo.)

Since then the agent left the company and I heard nothing about it. Recently I asked for a photo and found that the fence was removed but there is a big gap and debris around. (See photo).

The property manager now suggests filling the gap with garden soil. I wonder if the soil can withstand wind or rain. But the agent says the soil will stay as grasses will grow on it by themselves.

As I am a city person, I have no idea of whether it is a proper way of doing it. Will the soil be blown up and mess up the surrounding before grasses start growing? If grasses grow on it, will it be very difficult to mow it as it is on the edge?

Or do you have any good advice as to what to do to fix up the mess?

:confused:

Attachments

• brick fence April 2012.jpg
    brick fence April 2012.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Fence and letterbox 001.jpg
    Fence and letterbox 001.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Fence and letterbox 003.jpg
    Fence and letterbox 003.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 109
Looks like it just needs some soil to fill in the hole and stop anybody "doing an ankle", and then let the grass grow over the soil.

If they haven't removed the footing from where the fence was tell the agents to get a handyman to lay a course of bricks on edge as a kerb to stop the soil eroding.

Doesn't look like it just fell down.

Anyhow now you have a gap.

Fill in with soil and let the grass grow.

Fill in and maybe put up quick picket type fence or something and actually try and bring back a little bit of street appeal.

New brick fence

Plenty of choices just depends on your budget and requirements.

Concrete the whole front yard and paint it green - Problem solved.
Seriously tho, have to ask, who knocked down the fence in the first place? If it was the tenant, why didn't the PM get them to fix it?

Hi, cheapest solution: fill with soil, tamp it in & that's it. Rain & shine will do the rest. Looks OK too. Nature strip.

The other solution is to put up a tubular fence, like pool fence. Not expensive, less than $2K. Adds instant appeal.

I saw some cheap [$42 per m, I think, can't remember now] pool fencing, and the tradie said it was ugly but I insisted.

Even the tradie himself was impressed by the end result.

From your pictures, soil is best because you can then plant either hedging or small perennials. Fits with the appearance of the house.

KY

Cut the grass and soil down to the footpath level as it looks like it built up over the years against the brick fence.

Basically slope the front lawn down to footpath over say a foot or two along the boundary.

Cost = 1 hour tops.

not bottletops either:D

Cut the grass and soil down to the footpath level as it looks like it built up over the years against the brick fence.

Basically slope the front lawn down to footpath over say a foot or two along the boundary.

Cost = 1 hour tops.

not bottletops either:D

Sorry, can't understand fully. Do you mean instead of getting some soil to fill the gap, we can ask someone to dig up the front part of the lawn, slop it and use the soil to fill the gap?

What does it mean by '1 hour tops" and "not bottletops either"?

Who wants to bet it was either a car or trailer reversing into it after parking on the lawn?

Who will believe that it falled down by itself except the PM! But as I am overseas, I am powerless and after rounds of arguing with the PM, I yield!

Back