What to look for in a draftsman/architect

Hi all
just wondering what should i be looking for in a draftsman/architect?
besides asking about his experience and looking at previous work they have done is there anything else i should ask or look for?
looking to do a small 2 unit development.
what costs should i be expecting as well?

thanks!
regards,
Kylie

if your doing it for a development you want to know there up todate with the current DEP and LEP for the area you are developing in, this will save you a bit of cash.

The most important thing is they need to be able to communitate with you clearly.
tell them what u want and ask them for there advice, try not to get focused on looks like a lot of architects do and go for function and maxin your profits

Hi Kylie,

Try finding a draftperson/architect that has had some building experience or was involved in the building industry at some stage. You can spend a little fortune trying to fix problems architects didn't foresee at the planning stage.
Keep things simple. You will generally have a good feel for who to go with by having a 10 min discussion with them. Find out what previous work they have done, their experience etc...

Ben

if your doing it for a development you want to know there up todate with the current DEP and LEP for the area you are developing in, this will save you a bit of cash.

+1. Dont waste your money with one that doesnt know the local LEP and DEP inside out. Best way to find one is in the area your building and make sure they've done several similar jobs to yours in the area.

Hi
thanks for the replies
I have spoken to a couple Architect and im kind of leaning towards one as his local and has been in the business for the past 26years and didnt mind sitting and speaking to me for over an hour since i was new to all this.
Sorry for being a bit neive but what is LEP and DEP? Local environmental plan?

I was told that i might want to cut down any trees around the block before the surveyor comes in as it may affect what i can build even if my land has no Planning Overlay. Do you think this is something i should do? tried confirming with council today on this but they already closed for the holiday. So busy around xmas else i would have called earlier!

Thanks again for the advice.
have a merry and safe xmas

Regards
Kylie

Sorry for being a bit neive but what is LEP and DEP? Local environmental plan?

You got it LEP=Local Environmental Plan and DCP=Development Control Plan

Sorry I think I put DEP in my previous post but its DCP.

Just remember that generally an architect will charge considerably more than a draftsman, could easily be 2-3 times more.

You got it LEP=Local Environmental Plan and DCP=Development Control Plan

Sorry I think I put DEP in my previous post but its DCP.

Just remember that generally an architect will charge considerably more than a draftsman, could easily be 2-3 times more.

Hi Shady
what are the specific difference between the 2?
thanks
regards
Kylie

Hi Shady
thanks
regards
Kylie

Between which two? LEP & DCP or Architect & Draftsman?
Architect is a 6 year degree course at uni. Draftsman is a 2 or 3 year dimploma course at TAFE. A very simple explanation would be that an architect comes up with a design/arty farty concept and then gives it to a draftsman to draw up working drawings.
Saying that archtects do alot of their own drawings and draftsman come up with alot of their own work.

What are you doing posting at 7.15am on christmas day? go be with your family and have a great day

As stated above,
Im a draftsman my self and have no desier to be an architect due to personal experiance lol.
If your after a special one off super nice to look at then get an architect but expect to pay for it.
If your after somthing nice, funcitional and ideal then get a draftsman

Both should be happy to consult you befor starting anything and both should be able to get the required information to sketch up somthing close to what your after, do expect a few meetings no matter what tho to get everything right.

Hi Shady
thanks
regards
Kylie

if u are in melbourne, victoria, we have slightly different terms (but essentially the same things!)....victoria planning provisions, planning scheme, state and local planning policies

Back