What tradie fixes this?

There's a gap appearing between the cornice and the wall. It's been there close to a year but is getting worse. There's also one appearing actually running along within the cornice as can be seen in the pic on the right (nearly the wavy bit). Scattered cracks also. Any idea of cause? I pushed up gently with the vacuum hose to see if the cornice had any spring in it to check if it was sagging and only succeeded in nearly pushing the hose through the actual plaster/cornice - I heard/saw some cracking appear too. So who fixes this? Plasterer? Painter? Please say it's repairable and I don't need a new piece. :eek:

Attachments

• bedroomcornice.jpg
    bedroomcornice.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 206
Depends. If there is a building defect or settlement going on then any repairs that you do will crack again.

The style of the cornice indicates its an older house and should have done most of its settling by now... depends on the soil eg clay, sandstone etc, weather, dryness/wetness etc etc. Is there any cracking in the walls? Piers/stumps/dwarf walls/slab construction? Any discoloration of paintwork or dampness? The area with the X crack looks like a cornice issue I had not long ago where a drip from a broken tile dripped its way through the cornice!

If the cracks are getting larger then first stop would be a builder to determine if theres a structual issue but they look like movement/settlement cracks to me. The cracks can be filled with a flexible filler like No More Gaps which wont crack with further movement.

You can do this yourself using Cornice cement. Comes in a powder form and you mix with a little water. Easy to use and sand off. I use it for all sorts of things. Even a Taffy can do it!

You can do this yourself using Cornice cement. Comes in a powder form and you mix with a little water. Easy to use and sand off. I use it for all sorts of things. Even a Taffy can do it!

Agree.

Unless you were planning on hiring a painter at some stage to paint the room, in which case you'd get them to do it as prep, getting out a tradie for such a small job would be expensive; that's assuming you manage to get someone out in the first place.

The good people at Bunnings and M10 can help you out in regards to products to use.

Olly, Fix it asap something with adhesive strength you can get through the gap (as indicated above) - I watched my cornice do the same thing, and one day, the whole thing came crashing to the floor!! :eek::(

The Y-man

Olly, Fix it asap something with adhesive strength you can get through the gap (as indicated above) - I watched my cornice do the same thing, and one day, the whole thing came crashing to the floor!! :eek::(

The Y-man

Which is exactly what I'm afraid of! All was OK until I found some white bits of stuff on my pillow and realised it was dropping bits. I've moved my bed out of the way but I really want to fix it. I'm prepared to have a go, but as I said I only applied a bit of pressure with the vac hose and nearly went through the cornice! :eek: It appears quite fragile. I'm scared of having a go and going right through it and making an even bigger problem. I know the gap between the wall and ceiling is a gap filler, but what about the cracks in the actual cornice. They appear quite fine i.e. nothing to spread spak or other filler into..:confused: Do I try to sand first? I'm scared stiff the thing is going to come down on me especially as I'll be on my own when I do it. My balance isn't the greatest when looking up either! :(

Lean back, place some glue in, and then nail it down.

If it falls or crumbles you may be better off taking it down all together and putting up a new cornice.

Can't your hubby do that?

Otherwise get a handyman or hire a hubby to do it. They're more likely to be interested than a tradie that does big jobs only.

Lean back, place some glue in, and then nail it down.
Put glue where? Nail what down?

If it falls or crumbles you may be better off taking it down all together and putting up a new cornice.
I wondered about that. They have to take a mould somehow to match don't they? Any idea how expensive that is? Or can you tell from the pic it's a 'common' mould that can be bought.
Can't your hubby do that?
No hubby or handyman to help without hiring one unfortunately. I have a go at most things but not sure how to tackle this - technique wise. Then as I have high ceilings and balance issues I'm a bit nervous about climbing up and leaning back to look up.
Otherwise get a handyman or hire a hubby to do it. They're more likely to be interested than a tradie that does big jobs only.
I think I might have to but will try for someone with insurance & license in case the whole thing goes pear shaped.

Glue goes in the gap. Forget the nailing - saw that done elsewhere and would probably not work there.

Most cornices have been replicated.

When I last went to purchase some old Victoria replica cornice I saw that they stocked 2 different ones that we had in our last house (art deco type).

Cornice is cheap.

Look in the Yellow Pages then take in a phone photo or get them to post out their catalogue.

I'd imagine hire a hubby and other franchises would be licenced and insured.

I wondered about that. They have to take a mould somehow to match don't they? Any idea how expensive that is? Or can you tell from the pic it's a 'common' mould that can be bought.

I agree with Dave and you need to determine whether there is a external reason for the cracking.

The cracked cornices would be near impossible to repair as these were made by casting plaster and seeing it is now cracked in the middle there possibly is no structural strength left.

You can try these people who are reasonable close to you for a supply of various different styles..

http://sydneyplasterworks.com.au/product_list.php?cPath=6

The easy way to fix the cracking between the cealing and the cornices is with a mix of cornice cement and setting cement. You just mix a little up and then run it along into the crack with your finger. Then use a damp sponge to clean of the excess.

See this youtube as to how plasterer would do the job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13xOxmxvayE

Hi Olly,

I was just thinking that the best tradie I ever found was by going to the wholesaler of the product and discussing my needs. I then decided that the job was beyond my DIY skills and asked the supplier did they have a regular trade customer who could do it for me ?

"Sure, old Bill would do that for you"

They were right :)

Could be worth a try

Thanks everyone. I really think the actual mould has become quite brittle and unrepairable so filling in the gap between the cornice and wall is now a moot point. I think I have to buy a new mould. Curiosity Question: Having not done this before do you tell them what length you want and they make it to suit? Or does it come in shorter sections you join up? Am I going to have to get a full wall length in other words (which may include fancy corner sections at either end) or just the section I need? I imagine a long length would be scary to transport and put up wouldn't it - being made of plaster wouldn't it be subject to snapping?

Thanks everyone. I really think the actual mould has become quite brittle and unrepairable so filling in the gap between the cornice and wall is now a moot point. I think I have to buy a new mould. Curiosity Question: Having not done this before do you tell them what length you want and they make it to suit? Or does it come in shorter sections you join up? Am I going to have to get a full wall length in other words (which may include fancy corner sections at either end) or just the section I need? I imagine a long length would be scary to transport and put up wouldn't it - being made of plaster wouldn't it be subject to snapping?

They usually come in standard lengths (5m?) - which didn't fit my car so I had to get them to cut it!

They are heavy - you'll need a helper (or 2) to apply the cement then lift into place (and yes they can snap).

I ended up doing 3 (lighter) pieces and splicing them together where there was one single piece.

The Y-man

Back