What were these people thinking?

I can't understand why a couple with 1 child spent $750k on a 5 bedroom/ 3 bathroom house:eek:. I don't know what they were thinking but now that the repayments are $1600 a week they have to sell. Who decided to give them the credit in the first place? What have they done to reduce the payments? (such as renting out a couple of rooms.) Ultimately, they have to be responsible for the decsions they made. With people like this, it is no wonder the worldwide economy is unstable at the moment!

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22262868-5013110,00.html
Daily Telegraph said:
A CONDELL Park family forced to sell their dream home at a loss of more than $150,000 has become the public face of a world mortgage crisis that has divided Sydney.

As the inner-city experiences a second real estate boom struggling homeowners, such as Hana and Ayman Itaoui (pictured), in the city's west and southwest have been left behind while Eastern Suburbs residents reap the rewards.

Sydney-wide auction clearance rates have reached their highest levels since 2002 but the Itaoui family haven't been able to sell their five-bedroom, three-bathroom home for the past six months.

They have spent $750,000 on the property since 2004 but after consecutive interest rate rises increased repayments to about $1600 a week they have no option but to sell.

"We really need to sell now because the repayments are too much and my husband will have to stop working for six months after a knee operation,'' Mrs Itaoui said.

"He needs a total reconstruction so we will have to sell the courier business and move in with family until we can get back on our feet.

"But before we can do any of that we have to sell our home.

"It's a real slap in the face to have to sell for less than what we've put into the place but I'd be happy just to break even. The problem is that no one is interested in buying.''

After dropping their asking price from $649,000 to $599,000 there has still been almost zero interest from the area.

The home, on a 650sqm block, was supposed to be where they would raise their family but with an interest rate now over 8 per cent they have been forced to leave before their first child, Markell, celebrates his first birthday.

"I'll never buy a house again. I'd rather rent and be happy paying a reasonable $300 or $400 a week rather than the $1600 we are paying now. That is massive. Something we just can't afford anymore,'' Mrs Itaoui said.

Over the past six months auction clearance rates in Sydney have reached 61.5 per cent, the highest since 2002 when clearance rates were at 67 per cent, according to figures from Australian Property Monitors.

This time the market is being carried by the city, lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs where about 75 per cent properties are being sold at auction. In the west and southwest, however, it is only about 35 per cent.

A Housing Industry Association report said the past three rate rises have increased the number of households suffering mortgage stress by 77,000 - up 14 per cent to 624,000.

I read the article this morning. She says they are paying $1600 per week. By my reckoning thats servicing a loan of about $900k. If the house cost $750k they probably bought the courier business and the plasma and all the latest gear on the mortgage as well.
Numbers don't add up when you don't give / get the whole story.

Something doesn't add up here. Look at the brickwork of the house in the background. This is 1980's workmanship not 2000 construction.

typical media hysteria. I just had to pay $10.50 for a sandwhich yet people say they can't handle $50 a month on their mortgage.

I could be totally wrong about this, but isn't there insurance you can have that pays your mortgage for a certain period of time if this sort of incident occurs ie. unforseen work stoppage for his knee reconstruction?

I've been offered insurance by everyone for my loans - my bank, my life insurance guy, my financial planner etc. Although this would'nt help if it's just the interest rate rises that are stopping them. I'd like to know what their weekly payment was before the rate rises, because if it's $1400pw now - it still would have had to be well over $1000 to begin with?

Obviousy it's too late for insurance now, but it does raise the question.

Condell Park is near Bankstown which has been affected by bank repossesions.

If they bought a crappy fibro place at the peak of the cylce for $500k and then knocked it down and built their Mcmansion the borrowings could have got to $750K. But their loan wouldn't be an 100% loan so something doesn't add up.

It could be that the media changed the story to suit them or in the $1600 they are including the principle or even repayments for their courier business.
Anyway, I don't see why their story is news worthy:confused: .

I read this story in the telegraph {front page of all places} this morning and was gobsmacked. Why would anyone take a massive mortgage to buy a five bed three bathroom house when their only child is not even a year old??? They have had the house on the market for six months so its not this latest interest rise that has pushed them over the edge.
These people get no sympathy from me. They made their bed now let them lie in it!
If the telegraph wanted to highlight 'the plight of interest rate rises on struggling families', they have, with this story, only managed to show how stupid and greedy some people are.
Ummm....bet they got a no doc loan....

I agree with all the above posters. For our first house we got a two bedroom villa unit in Austins Ferry in Hobart, for 180k. Its now worth 200k (based on the selling price of a unit across the driveway). We could have bought bigger but who needs a big mortgage!.

Just goes to show that the housing affordability crisis is a load of BS. What twits! Why not just buy a normal house instead of a mansion? I can't believe they have the guts to advertise their stupidity like that. If it was me I'd be hiding with embarrassment.

When we got married (feels like a century ago :D )
we rented for several years before we could afford to buy our PPOR.

Today, I see a lot of young kids who just want the best straight away.
Brand new house, brand new furniture, latest model car, latest appliances etc.

It's nice to enjoy it all now but IMO they are doing things the wrong way.
When things go wrong (interest rates increase, lost their job, wife gets pregnant etc)
they can easily lose everything.

Cheers

When we got married (feels like a century ago :D )
we rented for several years before we could afford to buy our PPOR.

Today, I see a lot of young kids who just want the best straight away.
Brand new house, brand new furniture, latest model car, latest appliances etc.

It's nice to enjoy it all now but IMO they are doing things the wrong way.
When things go wrong (interest rates increase, lost their job, wife gets pregnant etc)
they can easily lose everything.

Cheers

Went and did my boat license today (what a joke, name on a list and revenue raising) and was having a yarn to the young punters doing theirs in Yeppoon with me.

Most were under 25, had kids, had the newest Landcruiser, V6 Navarra or Triton and all had new boats (can't have 2nd hand) worth between $25k and $45K or $20k jetski.

All were talking about getting a house near or on the beach at Emu Park, Zilzie or Corio Bay.

Some already had

Freaked me out at their 10 ft tall and bullet proof attitude towards money.

Scary stuff

Dave

I could be totally wrong about this, but isn't there insurance you can have that pays your mortgage for a certain period of time if this sort of incident occurs ie. unforseen work stoppage for his knee reconstruction?

I've been offered insurance by everyone for my loans - my bank, my life insurance guy, my financial planner etc. Although this would'nt help if it's just the interest rate rises that are stopping them. I'd like to know what their weekly payment was before the rate rises, because if it's $1400pw now - it still would have had to be well over $1000 to begin with?

Obviousy it's too late for insurance now, but it does raise the question.

Yup,
Income protection insurance... depending on your age, occupation and hobbies (Risk) you can pay less than $1,000 p/a and have 80% of your income covered... (there is some fine print though).

We've got it just in case I drive my car over a cliff on one of my late night call-in's. (Live up a mountain 30 min's from work).

If you have debts, dependents or a fear of no income, it's well worth the payments. (It's also tax deductible which makes a big difference).

Back