What will be your "retired job"

And, if you want to be a serious competitor on the US senior Tour, you'd wanna have been at least an Australian Open Champ and/or Order of Merit winner to be remotely good enough to not starve..

Yeah, i don't think that's gonna happen, just qualifying would be enough.
Qualifying for the Aus open would be a good start though :)

I am retired and travelling through bits of middle Japan at the moment. So, travelling does become a priority after retirement. By necessity of insurance, travelling should be done before 80. After 80, apparently insurance companies will not want your business. It is entirely self-insured after 80.

Travelling and enjoying lifestyle in other environments may mean one day I will live a number of months overseas and will face on some challenges that come with it. Challenges include foreign language and food. Then, there may be opportunities or ideas that may be interesting to follow up.

I also like to pursue religious themes as some of my postings have shown. I feel it my obligation to do missions and have done a number of trips in South East Asia for a number of years. Hence, my wife and I will be travelling to help with mission work: English teaching, religious teaching, property related development. I have just done a design for a septic tank for a new church and provided advice on layout and design. It is qood to put some of my engineering and property background to work in new ways.

As to my Australian portfolios, they will require my time as well. Hopefully I can pass them to my son or in some ways evolve the situation into the 'end game'. As my health and time permit I rather enjoy some renovation but not so much of maintenance. So, renovations and property maintenance will take up some time.

Should my son live overseas, my retirement plans may shift its pivot to the country he has taken residence in. That will come with its new sets of challenges to ponder upon. :D

Yeah, i don't think that's gonna happen, just qualifying would be enough.
Qualifying for the Aus open would be a good start though :)
I managed to do that twice, but didn't make a cut.

FYI, the qualifying procedure was (back in those days) they used to have about 25 spots available out of a field of approx 144 players. The rest were exempt.

They would invariably host the quals at 3 or 4 different courses, and each course would have about 8-10 spots up for grabs; depending on available spots.

At each course there wold be approx 100 players, so your chances of qualifying were about 10-1.

I think the current handicap for amateurs to avoid being balloted out of the quals is around scratch?

Shows you how hard it is; most folk think it's money for jam.

ATM I'm feeling quite jaded with the 9 to 5 grind and the idea of pulling the pin is most enticing.

Here's the plan when it does happen:

Have my retirement party and go out in style
Dust off my clubs and get my HC into single digits (got a golf course behind me, so works there and I can get free games :cool: )
Spend some quality time with my dearest. Go out to lunch etc
Get all those odd jobs done around the house
Spend some quality time with the family expecially on their holidays (and especially the 8 weeks over Christmas)
Get away more with the family

That'll fill up the first six months. In the longer term, not too sure, probably need to sit down and formally map it out with the wife, but the general tone in discussions have been:

Do some travelling with the wife (We have a four and a half y/o little sprog so retirement now won't allow travel for say the next couple of years until he gets a bit older and our older kids will be about 20/18 then and could do a OK job watching him). Want to spend time in France in a Villa and do a bit of travelling arounf there and check out the local vino.
Look at doing some reno work with the wife to generate some play money along the way
Learn another language (probably either French/Catonese/Mandarin)
Set up an education scholarship trust for the two schools our eldest kids went to

I managed to do that twice, but didn't make a cut.

FYI, the qualifying procedure was (back in those days) they used to have about 25 spots available out of a field of approx 144 players. The rest were exempt.

They would invariably host the quals at 3 or 4 different courses, and each course would have about 8-10 spots up for grabs; depending on available spots.

At each course there wold be approx 100 players, so your chances of qualifying were about 10-1.

I think the current handicap for amateurs to avoid being balloted out of the quals is around scratch?

Shows you how hard it is; most folk think it's money for jam.

Cheers - seems you're the man to pm nearer the time :) (i'm around scratch with very little practice)

Hubby "retired" three years ago, aged 50. He had enjoyed his job for many years and it had given him the flexibility to work longer hours when needed but with the upside that he saw our kids more than many men do in their growing years, and he was able to come home early and take the kids to the park etc, but the last couple of years it had all changed and he was working long hours and getting stressed.

When he retired (and continuing still) we have a brekky at local cafes probably once a week or so. We fossick about in stores and watch shows together. Hubby fossicks about in the garage doing "things"... reframing pictures.

Eighteen months ago, I started a casual retail job that I enjoy (one to three days a week - up to me really). It gets me "dressed up" and among people, so I would miss it if it stopped. It brings in some pocket money but that is not my motivation for doing it.

Hubby has lots of things to keep him busy. His mother has lists of jobs for him every week or two and she just loves having him there, clucking and fussing over him. He loves his mother but hates being fussed and clucked over, so those visits are pain and pleasure combined :p.

He has done work on our son's house and does maintenance on the IPs I manage (with my brother) that belonged to our late parents. There is a major reno (kitchen/bathroom/floors/paint/rebuild patio) coming up between now and January and another reasonable size driveway job on another place. We are meeting people to get quotes. We will paint it ourselves and with my brother, do a major landscape job to increase the outdoor/indoor flow.

We also want to put in a second bathroom into one of our IPs in February, so that all needs to be planned, drawn up, shopped for, organised and project managed.

With the bigger reno, we will either rent it again or possibly sell in order to free up cash to buy and reno another place. This is something we are both keen on (and my brother too) but whether it is appropriate in this market remains to be seen. If we buy well and renovate well, we will hold for twelve months and made a decision whether to sell and go again, or simply hold it.

Hubby painted the front of our house, but hasn't had time to do the sides or back yet. Retirement is keeping him too busy to get back to it as yet.

How long he will keep busy is unknown. We'll simply "go with the flow" and work it out as we go along.

Cheers - seems you're the man to pm nearer the time :) (i'm around scratch with very little practice)
Hey, I noticed you're at Orange, NSW.

We used to have our Australian Trainee Championships there each year for a few years.

Nice course; loved that little 14th (driveable par 4).

One year, I shot 70 in the pro-am on Wed, went and practiced all arvo before the first round, then proceeded shoot 81 in the first round on the Thurs. :eek:

So, I thought; "F this; I won't make the cut now!" and proceeded to go out and get smashed that night, didn't go to bed and had to tee it up at 8.45am for the second round....

Shot 71 and made the cut....just! (the standard to make the cut wasn't that great back then).

Now; that shouldn't happen and makes no sense, but there you are; you can drink and "drive". :D

Last edited:
Thanks very much for everyone's replies. There's some food for thought for the next several months.

Mrs Godzilla is concerned my brain will turn to gelatin within moments of pulling the plug. She was heard muttering "We married for love, but not for lunch. You're not hanging around the house all day!".

The many replies show that there are heaps of things to do and not enough time!

Strive for the endless summer - kiteboarding around the world.

Oh - and obviously spending more time with the family.

Also - looking forward to doing something where I see a result at the end (development) as opposed to endless politics at work.

I met a couple from Melbourne in Prague. They intended to buy a property on the Gold Coast to spend a few months each year. Then they visited Prague and fell in love with it. They ended up buying a unit in Prague. They said with the cheaper buy price the extra money funds the airfares. They spend 3 months a year in Prague and sometimes let the unit out (they don't advertise though).

I'm going part time next year or the year after but don't want to retire as I love my job. Hubby will retire in a few years. We aim to do one buy, reno, sell per year.

We will travel more and I will do more volunteer work. May even do some more teaching overseas. Hubby wants to buy an RV and drive around the US. We are looking at doing the same here as well. But RV's in the states are really cheap.

My professional institute runs schemes that are essentially 6-12 month programs to provide for the right framework for developing countries to actually, well, develop. Training people, teaching them, investigating low cost options, those kinds of things.

My goal 20 years from now is to be in a position where I can actually undertake work like that. It's an area I enjoy, I'm good at and provides a positive outcome.

I don't personally want to retire in the traditional sense. I am aiming for having the flexibility of working when I want, where I want, travelling when I want, where I want.

I'd prefer to be working in a job I enjoy than vegetating around a gated retirement village, looking forward to having a gossip at 4pm over what Marjorie has done with her petunias.

Quite an interesting thread.

A lot of the plans which have already been mentioned resonate with my own, as I would like to spend a fair proportion travelling. See the world, especially the odd and unique parts.

The other thing I'm quite interested in is taking part in volunteering, particularly internationally. If I can give back whilst integrating it with a trip, that is quite the worthwhile experience.

I'd like to renovate/develop in Sydney's eastern suburbs in 5-10 years. A bit of work mixed with coffees at the beach while the kid's are at school. Hubby would love to develop web sites that generate income for themselves. He has a few good ideas but no time to do them with a real job. We've still got around 20 years at least til the kid's will fly the coop so retirement just for me and hubby is a while off yet. No idea what we will do then.

We will be down-shifting within the next 10 years, before we turn 50. The kids at the stage will be 19 and 21, so we'll have freedom to travel and work part-time, and do volunteer work. We will be spending some more time in Italy, including an intensive language course, lots of exploring, and I'd like to continue my art studies. Travelling to the UK to visit family, and loads of other places that are beckoning.
My parents have been involved in Rotary since their retirement and they are finding it very fulfilling, some of the things they've achieved for their community have been inspiring, so that's something I'd like to get into as well.
I think the key is to always have something to look forward to, and keep your mind active.

At a guess, I will be just focussing on my 3 tier tan! :p

Not sure what my 'retirement job' would be, hard to think about right at this time. Im not the 'volunteer' type person (being self employed, I put a value on my time - is that selfish or what? :confused:). I dont really have a heart, so that puts most people related 'feel good' positions out.

pinkboy...think I just work on my wrinkly tan lines when Im old! :cool:

Back