What would you tell Centrelink?

I have received in the mail a letter from Centrelink regarding the tenants that recently abandoned one of my properties without paying rent and water excess. There is a questionnaire enclosed for my property manager to complete. They start the letter of with:

We need your help to enable us to make correct decisions about Centrelink payments and services to *****.

I will forward the questionaire to my property manager, but also plan to send them the following letter:

Dear ******,

RE: ** ****** ST. ELIZABETH NORTH

Further to the questionnaire you have asked my property management to complete regarding the above mentioned premises, I wish to give you a brief run down on the tenancy of **** **** **** at the premises.

Both rent and excess water usage were continually paid late. I received on average one Form 12 notice per month from my property managers. The tenants were brought before the Residential Tenancies Tribunal no fewer than four times during this 13 month period for failure to pay.

I had put up with it as I did feel somewhat sorry for them being on Centrelink and also gave them the benefit of the doubt since I have good experience with my other Centrelink tenants. For this reason I also refrained from increasing the rent which I was entitled to do under the periodic lease. During their tenure the market rate rose from the $170pw they were paying to $210pw upon their vacating.

After their 4th tribunal appearance and subsequent payment plan order, I decided I had been more than fair and ordered my property management to issue a 90 day eviction notice. The tenants made the first two payments ordered by the RTT but upon failure to make the third required payment, the RTT ordered immediate eviction.

Upon entering the premises with the baliff, my property manager found the premises abandoned and in poor condition. Apart from the interior floors, walls and amenities being filthy, garbage was strewn over the front yard, littered through the backyard and the entire garage was full with it. Some items included in the garbage that was removed from the premises included multiple mattresses, baby’s pram, numerous children’s toys, pillows, chairs and so on. A large skip bin was required to remove all rubbish from the site. Please contact me if you would care to see photos of the above mentioned conditions.

I believe that the garage to the rear of the property was being used as a living area/bedroom as the walls had sheets of giprock attached to them and there was carpet and multiple mattresses inside.

At the premises they also abandoned two kittens believed to be no older than 6 months and 1yo which appeared to not have been fed in more than a week.

Also found at the premises by professional cleaners were hooks in the ceiling which we were informed were to hang marijuana to dry. Whether or not the tenants used these we not cannot say, but in any case the hooks have now been removed.

What disturbs me the most is now this tenant is free to move to the next premises to continue the exact same behaviour without any consequences what so ever. Even the bond amount seized by the insurance company to cover costs and lost rent has been paid by Centrelink.

I own multiple properties, including others of which the tenants are or have been Centrelink recipients and can honestly say I have never experienced tenants as poor as this and find it quite disturbing. If the tenant does suffer any repercussions for her actions, I would sincerely like to be made aware of this, as if they are not as I suspect, I fail to see why I should take on the risk of letting any of my properties to Centrelink recipients in the future if this is the added risk I face.

Also, if you are able to provide the RSPCA with the tenants new address, they would like to contact them..

Thankyou for your time.

Regards,

Steve

Does the above sound fair? Is there anything I should add or remove?

As I mentioned in the letter, I doubt anything will come of it, but for the 5 mins it took me to write - I figured it was worth a shot.

I own multiple properties, including others of which the tenants are or have been Centrelink recipients and can honestly say I have never experienced tenants as poor as this and find it quite disturbing. If the tenant does suffer any repercussions for her actions, I would sincerely like to be made aware of this, as if they are not as I suspect, I fail to see why I should take on the risk of letting any of my properties to Centrelink recipients in the future if this is the added risk I face.
It is fair, well explained and straight to the point... I would definitely include it. I would change the above paragraph (the sentences are too long) to something like:

I own multiple properties including others which the tenants are or have been Centrelink recipients. I can honestly say I have never experienced tenants as poor as this and find it quite disturbing. If the tenant does suffer any repercussions for her actions, I would like to be made aware of this. If they are not (as I suspect), I fail to see why I should lease any of my properties to Centrelink recipients in future, if this is the added risk I face.

Thanks Steve, have made the changes you suggested. My letter writing skills are getting better, not quite there yet. :D

Steve, you could also post some of the pics onto the net and give them a url to view them. They aren't likely to go to the trouble of asking you to send copies.

I don't think there's a lot that they can act on, but maybe when their discreton is required in future, they'll make it more difficult.

Good idea with the pics WW.

No I don't expect much will come of it either. Based on their questionaire - I'd say Centrelink are mainly concerened with getting back the bond they put up for the tenant. No chance of that happening! :cool:

Yes 6 kids according to my PM!! I didn't go into details in the letter about the cleanliness of the house, but among other things they had to use industrial strength cleaner for the bathtub as the household stuff didn't budge it (see picture attached). They had a new born baby, which I assume would have been bathed in there. :eek:

Edit: The photo doesn't do it justice! Yuck!

Attachments

• bath.JPG
    bath.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 160
how totally satisfying just writting the letter, I agree that it will make no difference. These sort of people manage to continue to rent properties over and over again. I hope that your PM listed them on TICA to stop them renting other properties through agents.
I had a tenant recently who never paid rent on time and had a phone call from Housing SA wanting to know about her, I told them the truth and then at the end of the conversation the lady from Housing SA said I think I will refer her to the housing dept to see if I can help her...there are probably so many people who are of high quality but down on there luck who are on massive waiting lists and they continue to assist the ones who dont deserve it. Wheresthe justice in that

Unfortunately the main thing Centrelink is interested in is if the tenant had a legal responsibility to pay rent and, if the owner is also on Centrelink payments, that they have declared the rental property and rental income is reported to them.
As long as there is a legal responsibility to pay rent they will pay rent assistance.

They dont enforce the payment of the rent (although Centrepay is an option but that can be easily stopped by the tenant anyway) and they can do nothing about damage, arrears etc. Nor can they pass on the outcome of their enquiries or the whereabouts of these people due to privacy legislation.

All this is courtesy of the do gooders who created lop sided privacy laws to look after the interests of these scumbags instead of the rights of people trying to provide a better lifestyle or future for their families.

At least you will feel better putting your thoughts & feelings to paper...and make sure they are listed on TICA asap.

Cheers
Stella

Yes 6 kids according to my PM!! I didn't go into details in the letter about the cleanliness of the house, but among other things they had to use industrial strength cleaner for the bathtub as the household stuff didn't budge it (see picture attached). They had a new born baby, which I assume would have been bathed in there. :eek:

That is really worrying as you said, perhaps point that out as well, perhaps they should get a visit from more than the rspca

Steve, the other thing you might consider is enquiring whether your state dept of public housing is interested in leasing your property. From what I understand, they take care of all damages and tenant problems, and pay your rent 52 weeks a year.

try bubble bath. Squirt it on and let it soak. It works well for me.Iuse a kitchen sponge with the scouring side to remove it.Afterall it is just body grime, and that is what bubblebath and body washes do...cut thru grime.

try bubble bath. Squirt it on and let it soak. It works well for me.Iuse a kitchen sponge with the scouring side to remove it.Afterall it is just body grime, and that is what bubblebath and body washes do...cut thru grime.

Apparently they left bleack to soak over night and that did nothing. They borrowed some industrial cleaner from the carpet guys when they came around.

WW, as far as leasing directly to the Housing Trust, not really sure if I'd be comfortable with that. ie. potentially losing control of the property and rent, bit like DHA housing.

The other properties we have in the area seem to be pretty good with tenants so far - this was the worst and a few minor incidents with one other tenant. Both of them are now gone and replaced by tenants of my PM's choosing (we inherited the other tenants) at much higher rents. So far so good.... I know, famous last words! ;)

I don't understand why Centrelink are contacting you? From your short quote it seems as though they are asking your opinion on whether your ex-tenant should continue to receive their "services". If that is the case I would be telling them that the tenant is a feral pig and doesn't deserve a single cent more of taxpayers money and that her kids should be taken away and adopted out to better parents.

If you were feeling particularly vindictive, you could also allude that your ex tenant was working while receiving benefits, didn't really have 6 kids and was rorting the system. There may be some satisfaction out of setting Centrelink onto her just for the hell of it.

On top of that I wonder if there is any way you could claim their unpaid rent and water excess from Centrelink directly. Your posts re this person (loose term) reinforce my decision to never ever ever rent a property to anyone on welfare. Ever.

Great letter.!!!

This thread made me think, if there isnt already a website based "Dob in a bad tenant" database, there should be.

I have lived in a rental property most of my life. My parents rented from the housing commision for a good part of 25 years and treated the houses as their own. We always had the garden perfect, inside was always pristine and the condition of the house was perfect. As for the neighbours, they always had excess rubbish in the front yard, smelly interiors, bad attitudes and bad manners.

There is a "Dob in a doll-bludger" hotline and some others, maybe someone should start up a list of names of "trouble" tenants?

I can see how this would cause some people to jump up and down, but if you do the right thing, you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Mick

I don't understand why Centrelink are contacting you? From your short quote it seems as though they are asking your opinion on whether your ex-tenant should continue to receive their "services". If that is the case I would be telling them that the tenant is a feral pig and doesn't deserve a single cent more of taxpayers money and that her kids should be taken away and adopted out to better parents.

If you were feeling particularly vindictive, you could also allude that your ex tenant was working while receiving benefits, didn't really have 6 kids and was rorting the system. There may be some satisfaction out of setting Centrelink onto her just for the hell of it.

On top of that I wonder if there is any way you could claim their unpaid rent and water excess from Centrelink directly. Your posts re this person (loose term) reinforce my decision to never ever ever rent a property to anyone on welfare. Ever.

If you read the cover letter it appears that they are genuinely seeking feedback about the person and how that would effect their benefits. But the questionaire attached is mainly just a list of questions that have to do with the house itself and how they got it and were dealt with by LL. ie.

When did the tenants move in? Who showed the tenant the property? How often were inspections carried out (please attach inspection reports)? Who was present at these inspections? Please describe property. How many people appeared to be living in the house? What was the relationship of the occupants of the house? How was the rent paid?

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the general sense they just want their bond back and possibly slap the tenant on the wrist if they had a partner living there that wasn't stated upfront.

I agree with your sentiments towards them for the most part NM. I still can't for the life of me fathom why it's even an option for Centrelink rent relief recipients to allow the rent to come to them first to then hand to the LL. I honestly cannot think of one good reason why rent assistance shouldn't go immediately to the LL.

Steve, I thought rent assistance wasn;t that much (?) sure you would have got some of your money on time, but would it have made that much difference ?

Perhaps cost to centrelink in setting up multiple transactions per renting recipient is one (?)

Last edited:
Steve, I thought rent assistance wasn;t that much (?) sure you would have got some of your money on time, but would it have made that much difference ?

Perhaps cost to centrelink in setting up multiple transactions per renting recipient is one (?)

Rent assistance would vary with each case Jaycee - I have no idea what it is. But the point is at least a portion of the rent would arrive on time. There is no need for it to even go to the tenant if it is for rent ie. it's not for kids clothes, it's not for groceries - that's why they also receive welfare payments if necessary - 'rent assistance' is just that. That's my opinion anyway.

No, Centrelink do automatic payments to lanlords. Someone here mentioned it costs the LL $0.50c-$1.00 per transfer. However the tenant is free to cancel that at their discretion and have the rent assistance sent back to them directly.

Many low to average income families are on rent assistance. It is like family tax benefits. It isn't like its a program for unemployable/drongo's or anything. It is a relatively small payment compared to the total rent. Steve, you sound like only imcompetant lowlifes are able to get it, and that they should pay it to someone responsible like the landlord instead.....

Back