What's a fair salary to pay a 22 year old assistant?

No problem, friend. Just as a suggestion - maybe discuss openly with her the negotiation issue. Teaching her how to negotiate might be a better solution?

I don't know whether this still applies, but employees paid above the award were exempt from award conditions several years ago. This could work to the employer's advantage at times.

From a brief scan of SEEK, it seems 'assistants' are worth 30-70k in Melbourne.....suppose it depends on
- how big your business is
- your (RedCat) position and value to the company
- whether she is more an office, personal, or executive assistant.

I think it helps to remember too, that no one is indispensible....and one day she may meet a guy who drags her off to Sydney or overseas or sprogsville.

I think it also pays for small business to model the practices of larger business, and in this respect, that means ensuring more than one person can perform her duties. Consider it risk mitigation.

Hi Redcat,
Don't forget that actual $$$ is not everything :)

I have had employees in the past you would walk over hot coals for a $50 bonus and then others who couldn't give a rats about the cash.
On the other hand that same "don't need the $$" person would walk over the same coals if I offered a couple of hours off (same $50 value)

We were in retail at the time so we had a "performace based bonus"thing going. So basically I had a range of "prize bonuses"for when the staff hit target. $$$, time or the opportunity to do a different job for a while.

Everyone has different motivations and those motivations can change with time. While your 22 yo might want cash now... when there is a boyfriend around she might want a Friday or Monday off to go away for a weekend.

Good luck

She has that freedom already and I've never denied her a day off - for music festivals she wants to go away for usually.

She's a PA/Office Assistant for my small 3 person business just to clarify, though I'm teaching her different aspects of my job as we go along and she's taking them over (under my direction). It's difficult to ensure more than one person can do her job since it's a tiny business and yes, life WILL go on when she eventually leaves. I just intend keeping her as long as I can.

Hi RedCat

I've noticed you've got a bit of a problem on your hands :( Since you've obviously got too much money, and don't know what to do with it, you can just give it to me, and i'll make good use of it.

Just like your other employee who you love so much, you don't have to pay me anything! I too however, won't stop you from paying me what you think i'm worth ;)

Instead of upping her base pay why not just offer more perks or bonuses. That way you don't need to increase her compulsory 9% super contributions, workers compensation premiums, payroll tax etc in line with a rise in her basic pay.

Back