What's happening in the USA?

The forum has been fairly quiet on US properties for a while, with indications that the right time to buy has long passed- especially in areas where forum members have been active (Atlanta and Las Vegas especially).

But there's still seminar presenters touting the advantages of US property, talking LLCs and tax liens.

While I have a good idea of what these people are probably trying to do, I'd be interested to know what people on the ground are seeing.

Those who follow crowds usually don't to as well as the mavericks. A number of forumites have done especially well in the USA over the past 3 - 4 years. Handyandy and MTR come to mind. There may be more. By my reckoning HA and MTR have at least tripled their money in a very short time by adopting a counter-cyclical approach. And when i say they have tripled their money, that does not include rent collected along the way or the fact that they played the exchange rate to their advantage. Full marks to them. They truly deserve every penny they have made.

IMHO the lower hanging fruit in the USA is mostly gone. The ship has well and truly sailed. Yes, even Las Vegas is no longer as cheap as it was barely 18 month ago.

still got my 2x house..

sold 1 recently.

unfortunately that is how much i can afford, being a small potato.. i wish i get more..

rent no prob..

a lot of maintenance (washing machine died, etc etc), but compensated by high return. so no complaint so far.

how about others ?

The forum has been fairly quiet on US properties for a while, with indications that the right time to buy has long passed- especially in areas where forum members have been active (Atlanta and Las Vegas especially).

But there's still seminar presenters touting the advantages of US property, talking LLCs and tax liens.

While I have a good idea of what these people are probably trying to do, I'd be interested to know what people on the ground are seeing.

vegas..

rents still the same (really under market for the property to be rented).

have been holding for 2 years.

the one got sold:

purchase price: $61k
reno: $10k
sold: $116k
selling costs: $15k
approx $30k in profit (not including tax), approx 3k tax (10% FIRPA tax).

send money when aud 0.97 (september 2013), got the money back 0.90 (31/01/2014).

selling to another investor.

house is coming from short sale (waited 1 year $1500 down), which is neglected really bad.. even the 10k reno still doesnt makes it looks good.

obviously the interested party wants to make quick buck here (agent, me), therefore it is being sold straight away on the market, a very competitive market to find tenant, the property have to be really outstanding or really good location to secure a tenant.

Long88

Which city? What sort of prices are about now compared to when you bought? Rents, now and then?

Atlanta

Prices are still rising, foreign investors still buying, homes owners in US now able to access finance, US economy improving.

All my properties rented, however the key for great cash flow is to keep long term tenants otherwise with every vacancy there are additional costs required, ie repainting etc. as tenants expect top presentation, in Oz we can rent anything out, totally different beast.

Has the ship sailed?? I believe so. I know investors who are buying with much lower yields, perhaps they are expecting to capture growth, perhaps possible as market still rising?

I have started bringing income/rents home as the Aus$ has dropped.

Overall its been good experience, only down side has been the fact that I have not been able to leverage my money in US and having to deal with Banks, IRS etc. their system is totally flucked.

I also know investors that are flipping properties in US, picking foreclosures at good prices, doing a minor reno and on-selling, still plenty of buyers out there.

Cheers
MTR:)

Currently holidaying in Hawaii, staying at self contained condo (apartment)

Paying $1100 for 7 nights US dollar x 3 weeks

A quick search online you can buy an apartment from 250k + with it renting for min 100$ a night

You could rent it out all year and also have a holiday home for when ever you want!
I know nothing about the US investing just thought about the potential while laying on the beach ;)

What are peoples thoughts on investments like this?

Last edited:
Back