What's the best cladding option

Trying to price a renovation on a possible PPoR as best I can. Want to know if the purchase is good value considering reno costs.

Looking at different cladding options (currently it's asbestos/fibro) and going for a weatherboard type look.

Options I have read/considering are.

- Actual timber weatherboards
- Scyon Linea (haven't found a lot on these but seems positive)
- Formplex PVC boards (heard mostly terrible reviews so far, appear cheap considering they are installed and painted)

If things price up OK I hope to make a thread on the (hopefully not too disastrous) renovation

I live in Sydney and I build project homes. I would say 90% of new homes we do with cladding are sycon cladding. Not a bad product and it is made from fibre cement

I don't like fake timber weatherboards. So I would go for timber. But that's just my personal preference.

Timber isn't even that expensive. And if you go for pine like I did then it's easy and quick to put up.

Problem with just putting it over the top of the fibro would be trying to nail the weatherboards into the timbers, because with the fibro still there, how would you know where the timbers are? Probably a solution to this?

How much would it cost to rip off the fibro before recladding it?

Provided it's asbestos fibre, the removal/disposal costs would outweigh just putting the new product over the top. You could use a stud finder and draw them in before fitting to get a good idea where they are.

Most studs are at 450 centres.

Start at the corners and then punch a thin nail in every 450 until you find a stud. Then draw a plum line up from there. Easy peasy.

Being an external wall they don't usually set the nails or joins so you should be able to see where the nails are in the studs. Another thing you can do is knock along the wall and you will hear when you hit a stud. Or you can cut a strip of fibro about 100mm off around the bottom of the frame and find the studs, this won't matter as you are putting cladding over the top.

Removing the existing cladding will just incur an unnecessary cost.

I have had vinyl cladding over weathertex on my place for near 40 years.
Never had to lift a paintbrush in all that time ;)

Being an external wall they don't usually set the nails or joins so you should be able to see where the nails are in the studs. Another thing you can do is knock along the wall and you will hear when you hit a stud. Or you can cut a strip of fibro about 100mm off around the bottom of the frame and find the studs, this won't matter as you are putting cladding over the top.

Removing the existing cladding will just incur an unnecessary cost.

IF its not asbestos.

pinkboy

would cladding be worth the money on an investment house to be sold? would be worth the extra cost or is it usually for PPOR?

Thanks guys and girls. I have got a quote for 10k to remove all asbestos, its a local my gf knows so I hope its a good price, seems ok. Including, roof, interior and exterior cladding. Needs a new roof as its leaking which has damaged the interior plasterboard. Figure might as well get rid of it all while the guys there. Leaning towards the scyon, reviews on vinyl put me off. I haven't read up on vinyl in bushfire zones either. I know the scyon rates highly with standard install.

$10k sounds ok for removal and dispose of all that. I would go with scyon, even though you have to paint it every 8-10 years. Vinyl cladding is out dated now.

Back