What's the funniest/worst excuse you've heard for NOT investing from people?

Best one I heard was after a discussion on property cycles with my former boss was "I'm going to invest just before the next boom" I should ask him when that boom is about to start!

My Kids can earn their own money.

Was around at one of my IP's tidying up the garden before tenants moved in and got chatting to the neighbour. It seemed she wasn't interested in investing and making money 'just to leave to her children' and in her view 'her children should work hard and support themselves' just as they had!

"If I had known property prices were going to go up that much, I would have invested too" (from a family member)

Good one! Did anyone here have a crystal ball before they began?

Looks like the years go on, but the excuses never change :)

I am surrounded at work by "coulda's". I find it rather amusing.

When I used to talk about property in 2000-2001, people were saying "That's so risky man!"

By 2003 they were saying, "well, anyone coulda made money in property over the last few years" - and pretty sure they could have - but they didn't.

Why not join the game now then? "Nah, they're overpriced now!"

When we started going heavily into shares (and managed funds) in 2003, it was "That's so risky man!"

Here we are in 2007 and they're saying "well, anyone coulda made money in shares over the last few years" - and pretty sure they could have - but they didn't.

Why not join the game now then? "Nah, they're overpriced now!"

Ok, so I tell them where I'm putting my money next....

The response? Yep, you guessed it. "That's so risky man!" :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I was going to put it in there, when a little voice said - hell, what if someone actually listens! :eek: :p

For what it's worth, 100% geared share / hedgefund portfolios and gold bullion :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

I tried a gold warrant last year and got burnt!!! (I didn't invest a high % of our portfolio though, and I also had $ in shares which more than made up for what I lost!) Regards Jason.

Hi Y-man,

I tried a gold warrant last year and got burnt!!! (I didn't invest a high % of our portfolio though, and I also had $ in shares which more than made up for what I lost!) Regards Jason.

I guess for me, gold is actually a risk hedge more than an investment in its own right. It is more a "buy and hold" proposition until needed in a high inflation / recession economy.

I also failed to mention above that all of the 100% leveraged products carry a captial protection (although not a capital guarantee), so the theoretical worst case scenario is the loss of interest money only.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I guess for me, gold is actually a risk hedge more than an investment in its own right. It is more a "buy and hold" proposition until needed in a high inflation / recession economy.

I also failed to mention above that all of the 100% leveraged products carry a captial protection (although not a capital guarantee), so the theoretical worst case scenario is the loss of interest money only.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

Yes, I'm sure you've set this up in a clever manner. The trouble with my warrant was that it had an expiry date, and was in effect "taking a gamble" with the market. My overall philosophy is 'buy and hold', and I guess I just extended my boundaries a little. I learnt a valuable lesson from this experience. In my view there is no such thing as 'fast money', and if you do make 'fast money', you are likely to loose it anyway doing something risky to create more. I have learnt a very valuable lesson from being burnt through the gold warrrant. :D

Regards,

Jason.

Yes, there are so many people in our every day lives who dont know enough about PI, think its risky, are scared, think its too expensive now, that like to tell you all about it, funny thing is, theres basically nothing else that makes this much money with so little effort, the only thing you need is time,
I just had a daydream of me at age 50, stepping off the yacht in QLD with my wife beside me about to dig into a great seafood lunch, I dont care how much it costs cause Im so rich, thats gonna be great and provided I dont die in the mean time, thats how its gonna because life is what you make it, Im makin it the best I can.

Excuse: "It's all luck - you have to be in the right place at the right time".

Me: "So.... you'll only invest if you think you're lucky?"

-- MJ.

Excuse: "It's all luck - you have to be in the right place at the right time".

Me: "So.... you'll only invest if you think you're lucky?"

-- MJ.

We get that all the time: "You guys are so lucky to have bought when you did." What a load of cr*p! We weren't lucky, we made a decision, took action and worked on properties instead of borrowing $30k to go to Europe.

I guess we are lucky.

Lucky that we are disciplined enough to have acquired good money habits.
Lucky that we are open to the idea of investing.
Lucky that we come across the IPs that we bought.
Lucky that we live in the lucky country.
Lucky that we are alive.
Lucky that we have supporting partners in our investing journey.
Lucky that our partners more or less have similar good money habits.
Lucky that we have a ripper Treasurer, Peter Costello.
Lucky that we started investing.
Lucky that we are open to learning.
Lucky that we deal with the problems when they crop up.

So, all in all, I guess we are lucky.

What a lucky bunch of people we are.:)

Back