What's the going rate of Selling Commission, WA?

Hi, I'm looking at selling one of my houses in WA.

I've never sold a house before. What's the going rate of commission for selling, and is it possible to negotiate this rate.

Also, what other expenses are we likely to have.

Any suggestions from those that have done this before?

Thanks in advance

Not real sure on actual market rates but l reckon it,s WIDE open to negotiation.
Agents are not working tooo hard to sell properties at the moment.
I have always found they are open to negotiation in any market anyway.
A sellers market can only open it up more l believe.
Aparently the agents are fighting for listings in this market in Perth.
cheers yadreamin

REIWA dont make it any easier (see quotes from the site below) I thought it was about 2.5% to 3% and Very Negotiable at the moment (make sure advertising is included) Contact a few different REA's..they'll be fighting over you at the moment as Yadreamin said.

Dont give them to long to sell the property as well thereby tying it up with one agent..also be prepared for varied market appraisals at present.

TIPS

TIPS 2

REDWING

Can REIWA suggest a suitable fee to pay for an agent's service.
REIWA does not supply any guidelines as to the level of fees that could be paid to a real estate and/or business agent for their service. REIWA does not monitor the fees charged by its members. Further, it could be deemed a breach of the Trade Practices Act for REIWA to be suggesting what fees could be suitable. The level of fees are set by market forces and REIWA therefore can only suggest that prospective users of real estate agent's services should compare fees and the level of service offered by several real estate agents.

What Fee is paid to the Real Estate Agent for the Service Provided?
Government regulations do not fix fees charged by real estate agents.The level of fees is by agreement between the real estate agent and his principal. The fee will be dependent upon the quality and quantity of the services that the principal requires and are appropriate to the property for sale.The aim is to ask for and receive those services that you are most comfortable with, and those which are most likely to find a buyer or tenant for your property in a reasonable period of time, at a reasonable cost, and at the best possible price,

How do I agree upon a fee?
There is no government regulation as to the maximum fee that an agent may charge for his/her services.The agent and the owner must agree to the fee. The agreed fee will be dependent upon the services that the vendor wishes the agent to supply.The agreed fee may be typed or in writing, however the agreed fee must be initialled by the vendor,

Last edited:
Hi Puppeteer,

As you know, I am an agent.

So what's the going rate of commission for selling? - Rate will generally fluctuate between 2.5% and 3% for a $400,000 plus home in Bayswater I would think you would be looking at $12,000 incl GST.

and is it possible to negotiate this rate? Yes

Also, what other expenses are we likely to have?
Advertising, if it wasn't throw in with the selling commission, your settlement fees (i know you already have a good sett agent , so no probs there) any issues with the house that may need fixing or improving to sell the property.

Any suggestions from those that have done this before? Use me to sell it!

haha

good luck

Paulie

All I can add is that they are NEGOTIABLE....

Generally the advertising is included in the fee ( so don't pay extra for an advertising budget) and the gst should also be included ( so check when you sign the selling agreement that it says gst inclusive, and not plus gst )

But negotiable means that you can negotiate anything that is acceptable to you.

kp

In this current market i'd be selling it myself and cut out the fees all together. Everything is selling its self with the shortage of stock, and chances of getting offers over your asking price are high.

Do a bit of advertising/marketing, even use one of those DIY websites for promotion.....who cares if it costs a little to do so - it will fade into insignificance in comparison to conventional RE marketing.

Trying to sell in a buyers market however is a totally different story.

Some food for thought.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not really in a position to market this myself, and am not 100% comfortable with that route, right at the moment, so agents it will be.

Will let you all know how it goes, once it's sold.

Just following up on this. Finally settled this afternoon after being on the market for 3 months, with an additional 7 weeks for settlement and finance.

Just a bit about the property itself. 3 Bed/2 Bath + Study, Brick and Colorbond new home, riverside Bayswater, WA. Had 3 agents through to give me a proposal. I got a wide range of estimated sale prices from ~$430K up to $580K. All of the agents explained that it was hard puting a value on the place in the current market. We didn't pay too much attention to the prices given, we were always going to market it at the higher end of the range regardless of the agent as we were not in too much of a hurry to sell.

Ended up going with local agent primarily because of his local knowledge, and focus on this particular suburb.

Initially put it on the market for $560K+ and had a lot of people through on home opens. About 30 per week for most weeks that it was on the market, but no offers.

Dropped to $549K - $569K, and still no offers

Eventually dropped the advertised price to $539K and got 2 offers in. The best one came in at $530K but they pulled out when we countered. The other potential wouldn't go beyond $520K and didn't put the offer in writing.

The next week had a 3rd offer in at $530K. Countered at $535K and accepted.

Purchase price in November 2003 was $275K. I purchased this in partnership with a friend, and it was our PPOR, so there is no Capital Gains payable. This was one of the main considerations when we decided to sell rather than rent it out, and the fact that borrowing against this property was going to be very difficult in the partnership without a lot of risk. We did quite a bit of renovation, including all lights, window fittings, some painting, and all the landscaping and gardening.

This deal will pay off pretty much all of my partner and my non-deductible debt, including the loan for our PPOR.

Back