What's to know about Duplex's?

Hi all,

As many already know I' am currently searching for a second IP...
I have been looking at a duplex purchase. I am only looking to buy 1 of the 2 units in the development. It is a standard 'side-by-side' standard dev.

What laws are there to ensure both owners maintain their properties?
Do you have to pay for strata or is it considered torrents title?
Are there any issues I need to know with duplex units?

Thanks,
Brad.

Some will be strata and some will be torrens.

If Strata then there will be arrangements for the common outside upkeep already in place. However that arrangement might be that each occupier maintains there own gardens and the strata maintains the physical hard structures.

I guess the best way to ensure the neighbour keeps there side looking nice is to try and buy into one where the neighbour is an owner occupier. But in all honesty they will be a neighbour like any other and you will not be able to control their gardening.

I think the developer of the duplexes will make the most profit. Have you considered being that guy and building a set then selling one so that you are keeping one side at a discount price? Certainly much more effort with a higher reward potential.

Good luck,

I think the developer of the duplexes will make the most profit. Have you considered being that guy and building a set then selling one so that you are keeping one side at a discount price?

totally agree simon - but brad might not be at that level yet (but soon will be). personally, i'd be looking at a freestanding property where i have total control of the current situation, and future development (hence i also don't buy into units - unless i could own the lot).

i've seen many duplexes where one neighbour looks after the property, and the other side is a jungle of weeds ... unfortunately it ruins the whole appearance of both properties - and you have no control unless it is common, bodycorporate ground. but this is unlikely and body corporate ground tends to also look a bit ordinary (uncared for drought proof, vandal proof, maintenance proof plants - basically the lawn will be mowed and the gardens weeded occasionally).

Back