what's undesirable to buyers

We all know main roads, flight paths and electric towers affect the sale of homes but I was wondering how undesirable things like homes being on t-junctions, significant trees like Gums (excluding those on possible development blocks), bus stops outside of houses and backyards and side fences adjoining reserves and walkways are to forumites and the general public.

We are seeing homes on the market for extended periods now and some of these have the above features that it's difficult to determine whether it's just the market with these homes or do some people avoid these things?

All of those things excluding the tree would eliminate the properties for me. Especially the bus stop outside and adjoining walkway.

Shared driveway, battleaxe blocks, easments, short cut streets, council boundry (1 side of street one council other side other council - garbage collection 2 nights a week instead of 1), next to school, church, shops (right next door), steep block either up or down, mission brown, fibro (absestos), housing commission, unit block next door (house), Heritage, small lot size (less than 600sqm), NO FUTURE PROTENTIAL, next to a creek/canal, next to a club/pub, industrial, aspect, close to a football oval, backing onto railway line, one way street or a street where you can only exit in one direction, next to a service station, in a bad mobile reception area

Shared driveway, battleaxe blocks, easments, short cut streets, council boundry (1 side of street one council other side other council - garbage collection 2 nights a week instead of 1), next to school, church, shops (right next door), steep block either up or down, mission brown, fibro (absestos), housing commission, unit block next door (house), Heritage, small lot size (less than 600sqm), NO FUTURE PROTENTIAL, next to a creek/canal, next to a club/pub, industrial, aspect, close to a football oval, backing onto railway line, one way street or a street where you can only exit in one direction, next to a service station, in a bad mobile reception area

Yeah, that about covers it...

All of the factors mentioned above are usually fine, if other factors are in the properties favour...for example, a fibro house may still be OK, if the block has subdivision potential, or if it's been renovated to a high standard. A bad mobile reception area may be offset by having cable access, etc etc...when three or more of the negative aspects occur, yes, the house will be difficult to sell IMO...my last purchase wasa tiny block, BUT, was already rented, 1.5km from the CBD mall of a major city and it is 3brm weatherboard (no asbestos hopefully), walking distance to a stadium and art precinct...so it was a win for me, even though it was only a small block.:)

Yes, and add to that list:
Under high voltage power lines, near mobile phone towers, near (within smelling distance) of odours from: sewerage plants, abattoirs, close to a suburban motel, in poor TV reception areas, in flood zones, in land slip areas, in high fire zone areas, near rifle ranges, near defence facilities (air fields, firing ranges, target practice areas).
Maybe we can use all the feed-bak to create on big giant list and make a 'sticky' out of it?

I avoid high crime areas with many ferrals roaming the local shops. I also avoid trendy cafe areas where there's a line up at the chemist for fit packs.
In certains suburbs I also avoid backing onto bushland or opposite parks.

The funny thing is, the bulk of these 'bad' things pretty much sum up what you find when you are looking for a cheap rental. Actually if you can spot something you wouldn't want to live next door to from a distance (eg, a large factory), chances are the rental you are coming to inspect will be ... right next door to it.

Although I might make an exception for the rental I inspected once that was adjacent to the Arnotts biscuit factory. Noisy, but smelt wonderful ... although living that close could possibly put you off biscuits after a while.

In units:

* High body corp fees
* No laundry
* No rear door
* No courtyard or balcony
* A unit where others must walk past your lounge or bedroom window
* A ground floor unit that fronts onto a common driveway so others cars reverse very close to your window and occasionally crash through (happened to me)
* A unit so close to others that you can smell their cooking smells
* Poor sound insulation between units
* Windows on other units that look down on your balcony etc

If your tenants are likely to walk to shops etc and are opposite them then it's no good being on a busy undivided road unless they're near a pedestrian crossing. But you wouldn't want the crossing to be right outside your window either.

We all know main roads, flight paths and electric towers affect the sale of homes but I was wondering how undesirable things like homes being on t-junctions, significant trees like Gums (excluding those on possible development blocks), bus stops outside of houses and backyards and side fences adjoining reserves and walkways are to forumites and the general public.

We are seeing homes on the market for extended periods now and some of these have the above features that it's difficult to determine whether it's just the market with these homes or do some people avoid these things?

My observations are that in a boom, when there is not many properties available the less desirable properties sell easily. In a bust when there is plenty of properties for sale they don't tend to sell.

My observations are that in a boom, when there is not many properties available the less desirable properties sell easily. In a bust when there is plenty of properties for sale they don't tend to sell.

I've noticed that. Saw a house that was in average condition with little potential (a cheap 50's), on a main road, bus stop outside and it had an already subdivided corner on it, get snapped up for top dollar at the peak of the boom before last :rolleyes:. That particular house would sell for little more even now.

maybe i have a different perspective, but what is so wrong with living next to parkland/river/parks? Rivers could be bad because of floods & mozzies/bugs, but what about others? Surely some ppl like these sort of access points for kayaking/boating..

Ianvestor, i agree about the tandem garages - how annoying!! The only good thing with those is that you could use the back part solely as your 'shed' with no Mrs to annoy you!!

maybe i have a different perspective, but what is so wrong with living next to parkland/river/parks?

Parks means you share a fence with council - who will not share the cost of the first installation or maintenance (in most cases). The fences often get damaged and you wear the cost alone. Also you are more prone to break-ins as no-one can see people approaching from the park if it is at the rear of your block.

Parks also mean public toilet blocks (in a lot of cases).....and no-one wants to watch what goes on there (generally speaking) ;)

Parks means you share a fence with council - who will not share the cost of the first installation or maintenance (in most cases). The fences often get damaged and you wear the cost alone. Also you are more prone to break-ins as no-one can see people approaching from the park if it is at the rear of your block.

Parks also mean public toilet blocks (in a lot of cases).....and no-one wants to watch what goes on there (generally speaking) ;)

But on the upside there are less or no painfull neighbours to contend with.

We are looking at a place for PPOR which has a park on 1 side & a walking track along the rear. Only has a 5 foot paling fence on those boundaries but we reckon a 7ft Colourbond should do the trick. Not in a typically 'bad' area & maybe the poor dog will get walked more than she does now:)

Cheers
Stella

what's undesirable to me as a buyer

Anything that exhibits the following ;

a kitchen.
a laundry.
mothers and/or babies being the Tenant.

Anything where I cannot charge 12 months bond.
Anything that I need to pay rates on.

next to or overlooking a cemetry :eek:

as you approach parramatta station on the train from westmead, you can see to your right where all the units overlook directly onto an unused cemetry - most of them look empty or unoccupied anyway

Back