whats wrong with Broadmeadows?

Just after some advice on the area. Looking at a few properties (3 bedders, 2 bedders). Area is substantially cheaper than surrounding suburbs. So whats the go with Broady? Chance of capital growth in the distant future?

I purchased there earlier this year 620sqm 3 bed concrete home for 240k, renting it out at $275 a week.

Vancancy rates are very low, council is always improving infrastraucture and are pro development, next to city link, ring road, 15km to city.

Just after some advice on the area. Looking at a few properties (3 bedders, 2 bedders). Area is substantially cheaper than surrounding suburbs. So whats the go with Broady? Chance of capital growth in the distant future?

Relatively higher crime rate. Surrounding industrial area. Lower social-economic demographics.

All these factors drag down the prices. However Broady should offer enough upside opportunity to offset the negative factors, for the bold investors.

i have been looking in broady for a while

Its on the governments 2030 plan so its going to get lots of state government funding over the next few years

It has seen some pretty large growth over the last 12 months i believe.

If you get get anything in a court location then your set and dont have to worry as much about crime.

If your looking to buy there make sure you research the streets your looking at buying thoroughly you don't want to buy in a street with high crime

Go for a walk, ask a few people

speak to the agent though you probably cant trust him.

Basically check out the street, its not hard to see areas that have higher crime as constant break ins, litter, mess and property damage should be plane to see.

...which means opportunities!

Just look at what prices have done in places like Frankston North, Dandenong, and Corio (near Geelong)....so if you can see past this there are opportunities.

Go for a walk, ask a few people

speak to the agent though you probably cant trust him.

Basically check out the street, its not hard to see areas that have higher crime as constant break ins, litter, mess and property damage should be plane to see.

If you get get anything in a court location then your set and dont have to worry as much about crime.

Why do you think that?

True they might be safe for children (in affluent areas) but in poorer areas they can harbour derelict houses. And you can't run away from a bashing in a court.

Courts were a 1970s planning fad, that particularly in low-income areas, did not work.

Ok, it's a different suburb, but the worst street I've seen in any Melbourne suburb was Studley Court, Laverton.

Secluded courts can hide a multitude of sins, and unlike through streets there's little passing traffic or visibility. And visibility is the best deterrent we have to criminal activities.

This is why urban regeneration and 'designing out crime' projects have often sought to increase visibilty, improve walkability and open up courts.

Peter

I used to live in Broady, not so nice. Moved to Hawthorn now.

Ethnic, like me, yes. Gangs? Not so much. More gangs in Carlton, lol. Good value in Broady I think. Maybe getting better, hard to know.

If buying there, would reno, make price move without market. But I reno everything, lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andrew_de_a
how do you find out which streets have high crime?

Park in a different street each night. If you come back to your car and find it has less than 4 wheels, cross that street off your list.

:D How cheeky is that??!! LOL

I reckon also have a look at some of the suburbs surrounding Broadmeadows which have all the benefits that Broadmeadows has but (some of them) less of the crime aspect ie Westmeadows - still affordable, still 'middle ring' to the city, etc etc.

Back