What's your back up

When investing in property what do you have as back up.
Is there a minimum amount in your offset/savings account you have before investing in a new property. Minimum funds in equity?

Depends on your risk profile. Some people are comfortable having very little in their offsets while others like to have enough to cover two years with little or no income.

I think the term often used to describe it is your "buffer". Have a search on the forum for numerous threads related to it.

Personally my aim is to have 6 months worth of interest repayments in my buffer assuming no income from the properties.

Regards,

Jason

I am -$1629 per annum net on my IP's combined and do not use rental income to pay mortgages (comes from my salary deposited transaction account), so the contents of my offset where the rent collects is my buffer.

Oops I meant $100k still seems a lot to me

I would suggest you ask the provider of the advice as to the logic ..........

100 k is substantial for many, and milk money for others

6 to 12mths without income is a reasonable ACCESIBLE equity cover buffer to hold.

If you carry appropriate IP insurances then the buffer can be reduced by HEAPS

ta

rolf

I normally have about $3k for each investment in a acc plus $20 k in savings left over when I buy. Land lord insurance, income protection. Just wondered if that was still living on the edge

I would suggest your buffer could be made up of:

1. Cash (preferably in a offset account)
2. Unencumbered shares (no borrowings associated with them)
3. Undrawn line of credit

Mine personally is about 70% cash and LOC 30% at the moment.

Jason

We try to keep our buffer around $100,000 to $150,000 .... mainly for piece of mind, but also if the unexpected bargain opportunity comes along.

We did for a while, but we didn't like the view.

Mystery

I used to live on the edge, and fell off it once!! :eek: :(

The Y-man

In the three stages we have gone through:

Starting out would have been the security of a job as our back up plan.

In the growth phase it was the broad spectrum of tenants, reducing the risk of all our properties being vacant at once (compared to one ot two properties that could be vacant at the same time!!) and making sure they were CF+ so we could fall back on that if I lost my job.

Now in the end game, the risks are very much minimal. Should there be a downturn in rent across all our properties, we will still be fine. Even a 40% drop would be manageable. To counter the end of world scenario, we are contributing to our super to have as a "back up" if we endup somehome really in the poo.

So in the midrange how much did you have in the bank .

In the growth phase it was the broad spectrum of tenants, reducing the risk of all our properties being vacant at once (compared to one ot two properties that could be vacant at the same time!!) and making sure they were CF+ so we could fall back on that if I lost my job.

So in the midrange how much did you have in the bank .

Rather than measuring your buffer in an 'amount' as such, it is best to measure it in terms of how much time it will buy you.

Work this out by accounting for all of your property expenses, your own/families personal expenses and work out how long you could survive without your income from your job. If you are very conservative, you may account for your IP's being vacant.

Those starting out would most likely have less of a buffer than those well into the accumulation stage or those approaching the final part of their investment journey where the income from their investments supports all of their expenses. (ie financially free).

As Ralph says, insurance could be counted as your buffer. Eg, income protection, life insurance/disability insurance.

Regards Jason.

Back