What's your wealth score

Who in their right mind would base their investment philosophy on selling up. This concept always reminds me of one of the stories in Jan's book re the guy with X houses who is advised to sell up (in the 1970's) by his 'bank manager' By the '90's he is living of a pension.
Exactly!

But it is on PI.com, so is a prelude to suggesting the all important art of accumulating a CF+ property portfolio for a passive income. That would be the logical conclusion.

i.e. If I were to sell up it wouldn't last long, but if I could get CF+ then sooner or later I can retire on a perpetual income stream that is growing hopefully above the rate of inflation.

Cheers,
Michael.

Who in their right mind would base their investment philosophy on selling up.
Perhaps sell down some I/P's to pay off loans (including mgd fund/share loans) and also keep an I/P or 2 as well :D .

I managed 3389 on the score, still got some work to do.

Regards
Marty

Perhaps sell down some I/P's to pay off loans (including mgd fund/share loans) and also keep an I/P or 2 as well :D .
Or..................................once you reach a certain age and have done your sums on how much you need to survive, sell down I/P's (as you may not want associated costs etc), pay off loans and taxes, and invest the rest in a mixture of income and growth funds.

This is of course for someone that has decided that LOE may not be for them.

So many scenarios I suppose and it will always come to the individuals SANF.

Regards
Marty

Yay!

The result, 1768, means that if you stopped work, sold all your investment assets and paid off all your debts then you'd be able to survive until 03 Jul 2012, based on your current lifestyle.

Only problem is I cant access my Super until I am 60 and as others have said, imagine the CGT!

I think I broke it:eek:

I get 9999+ but its stuck at 2035, even if I reduce my salary to $20k.

Cheers

LMAO :D
I was wondering what you would get !!!!

Fun exercise , but this calculator take into account "extra" income made from managed funds for example ... think I better go and do the Master Class that was advertised at the bottom. :rolleyes:

The feel-good happy-clappy quiz

Thought I'd try putting in some figures that would be typical of many financial types and see what answers we get.

My comments in italics.

Case 1. Middle aged person on $50k pa. Owns $300k home outright. With $100k super and $50k other savings. No debt. This is my guess of a conservative type who was taught to save up for a home, not take risks and stay working until 65.

Result: Wonderful
Your investing results indicate that you have done wonderfully well. Clearly your plan is working because you are accumulating a lot of wealth. Don't be ashamed to spend part of your wealth on yourself or causes that you support, as there isn't much point in having money since it exists to be used. Don't go overboard though - and use regenerating income rather than selling assets to fund your expenditure.

Not bad but not fantastic if early financial independence was an aim

Case 2. Age pensioner on $20k pa social security income. Rents. No super or investments. $20k savings are all that keep the wolf from the door. So really has to watch every dollar and have noodles & soup for dinner.

Well Done
Given most people spend more than they earn and fund the difference with debt, your modest wealth creation efforts have already proved that you have the right mindset to be an investing success. Well done! It would be a shame not to maximise your potential, and if you're interested in direct property investing then you'd make a great candidate for our where we'll put you though your paces and make you a better investor. Whatever your decision - keep up the good work.

The absence of debt is commendable but statistically this person is poor, with little to show for their work over the years.

Case 3: Young part-timer on $25k pa who loves spending. Rents. $20k car & $30k other 'stuff'. $30k debt and no savings.

Urgent Help Needed
You urgently need help to create and implement a better wealth creation plan. You're extremely dependent on employment (i.e. trading time for money) to provide for your long term needs which is dangerous because you will be in trouble if you can no longer work.

You'd be well advised to start implementing the golden rule of wealth creation which is: Spend less than you earn and invest the difference in growth and income assets. If you'd like more literature about investing success then a great book to buy and read is 'From 0 to 260+ Properties in 7 Years'

Agree there, or maybe they just have other priorities or interests.

Case 4: High income earner $100k pa, $1m house and $500k mortgage. $100k car, $100k super.

Urgent Help Needed
You urgently need help to create and implement a better wealth creation plan. You're extremely dependent on employment (i.e. trading time for money) to provide for your long term needs which is dangerous because you will be in trouble if you can no longer work.

You'd be well advised to start implementing the golden rule of wealth creation which is: Spend less than you earn and invest the difference in growth and income assets. If you'd like more literature about investing success then a great book to buy and read is 'From 0 to 260+ Properties in 7 Years'

OK the payments are a bit high relative to income, but there's good equity in own home. Apparently this doesn't count as the calculation uses the Kiyosaki definition of asset. The car is an indulgence but they're still better off than Case 3.

Case 5: As for Case 4 but the $1m house is an IP rather than a PPOR.

Top Of The Class
Success is no fluke, and clearly you've mastered the art of making money. Having done it for yourself, it's now time to prove you can do it for others too. Take some people under your wing and share your secrets. In the meantime, keep reaping the rewards from your investing but consider supporting others less fortunate as true riches is being able to joyfully use money to bless others.

Just as I thought - that did the trick! Even though Cases 4 & 5 had the same net wealth and 4 would be better off if they wanted to sell.

The above has laid bare the biases in the survey.

You don't need much wealth or a particularly good wealth to income ratio to score highly. But consumer debt is evil, as are mortgage payments but not investment debt. If all your assets are in your own home that is very bad but if they're IPs then that is very good.

I still prefer the 'Millionaire Next Door approach' which is your net wealth versus annual spending. And if there's a ratio of 20 times or more you're just about home and hosed.

TI still prefer the 'Millionaire Next Door approach' which is your net wealth versus annual spending. And if there's a ratio of 20 times or more you're just about home and hosed.

spot on.

the high net worth individual category they created seems to me to be a very accurate measurement

cheers
quoll

G'day all,

Hmmm - interesting !!! I hadn't bothered before today, but this post piqued my interest. So I did it. Score 3500+ (that sounds like "I can survive 10 years" if I sell everything - I think this is what the number is saying?)

My own spreadsheet shows more than double that figure. I started using this as a measure several years back. Can't remember the bloke's name, but I recall he invented the Geodesic dome - and he used "number of days survival" as the TRUE measure of wealth.

My spreadsheet doesn't show "costs to sell" (so, a loss there) - but then, it also doesn't show "Interest on cash held after selling" (so, a gain there). It DOES increment cost of living by a standard 5% pa - so I think it is somewhat realistic.

The link was a bit of fun anyway, so thanks for posting it

Regards,

i got 6032.

"you'd be able to survive until 07 Mar 2024, based on your current lifestyle."

sounds very good on paper, but surelly not practical in reality.

I got the Case 5 reply from Peter's post and a message I can survive until 5 Dec 2025

By manipulating the annual salary down you can survive longer!!!!

It presumes you need your annual salary - mine is all rental income, so it will increase in time and why would I sell up and live off the proceeds??

A fun thing to do though, as long as you do not take it seriously

Chris

Reactions: Les
G'day Y-man,

Thanks for the link - and, after checking it out, it's no wonder I couldn't recall the name. What a mouthful :D

Regards,

Woohoo, score of 459 and the average is 456...

So I'm just average, like I didn't already know that :D

Still at least it's something different to filling out the crossword at the back of the tv guide on a sunday morning.

Personal Assets = cars, home furniture, electronic equipment
I don't think so, "Rich Dad Poor Dad"

or to be able to survive till the 4th December do I need to start flogging these ASSETS off!!!

Hmmm.......I just had a daughter looking over my shoulder, so calculated her wealth score. 498. Not bad since she owns nothing other than her TV & a lounge, & works part-time earning around $6500. Her $50 debt to me would have to be paid though.

Back