When do you plan on retiring?

When do you plan to retire on your investment income? (or if you have - at how old)

• Under 25 years

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Under 30 years

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Under 35 years

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Under 40 years

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Under 45 years

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Under 50 years

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Under 60 years

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Never

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters
Hi Will,
Yes, caravanning is excellent. We chose a 6 meter full van as it is our home for a large part of the year. You meet many people with many different combinations and it depends on how much you want to rough it and what suits your needs and budget. It is like property investing there are many different ways to do it! Go while you can as you have to enjoy life along the way.
Diane

Hi Diane,

Good for you! We're on our way, too :p . We're going to America for a month (my 40th at the Grand Canyon) in a few weeks, but when we get back we're going to buy a motorhome and travel for at least 6 months. We joined the CMCA and have been keeping our eyes open for a good deal. We've already decided to rent our PPOR out as a holiday home while we're away and are slowly getting things together. Any tips for the novice motorhomer?

Cheers,
Kathryn

Hi Macca,
We find that our costs vary quite a bit - mainly in the use of fuel. Food, entertainment, caravan park fees etc. are fairly constant. It really depends on whether you stay in one spot for a week or if you are driving hundreds of kilometers each day in the outback country, doing side trips etc. We use carvan parks most of the time although on the odd occasion when we have camped out these times have been the most memorable. There have not been any unexpected costs so far. I would estimate it cost us around $40,000 for the year. The trip included a 3 month stint in Tasmania (approx. $1500 return on the boat for us, car & van).
Diane

Hi Kathryn,
Have you been able to retire due to investment property? If so how long have you been into investing in property? Your trip sounds excellent - I don't have any motor home experience but some of the ones I have seen are beautiful! Happy 40th!
Diane

Originally posted by always_learning
Just my guess is that Jakk is "living his dream" right now! Not a bad life, except he is doing it in of all places "Drouin".

That I am, A_L and I make no apologies for being in this neck of the woods, God's own country, I reckon and I feel I owe it to this area to stay here, It was when I moved here that I awoke to opportunity all around me

As a kid from KooWeeRup (20Kms away from Drouin) Jakk's lifes sounds pretty good, except I would just relocate to a nice estate on Sydney's North Shore

I love it here, I dont reckon people would believe me if I told them, I pinch myself every morning, I still find it hard to believe what property investment has helped me achieve, once a property portfolio is established, you are making money while you sleep, In fact if you were like Rumplestiltskin and woke up after sleeping for 40 years, imagine the surprise that would await you.

"Quality time with RealEstate Agents" is that possible? I thought it was an oxymoron like "Military Intelligence" or "Software Engineering" :D

Oh it's possible alright, Real Estate Agents have helped me enormously, It is amazing what one can find out by talking to every estate agent in a town in one day, little snippets of information all put together, completes the picture. It is unfortunate that they dont talk amongst themselves as openly as they talk to me, they might then have a better understanding of what is really happening in their area

I haven't voted on this because I'm already 49. I started on this business a little late.

A fairer poll might be "How many years until you can retire?"

On the subject of spending retirement.

Some years ago, I was backpacking around SE Asia. I met a couple who had recently retired, at age 65, and had taken their first trip outside Australia to go backpacking.

They were having a great time- and had the smallest backpack of anyone else I had met. It was like a single daypack between the two of them- and these were people who had not really been doing bushwalking, camping, or anything.

I was young (it was 15 years ago then), and I HAD to have so much stuff.

It must be great to have so much life experience, without all the baggage (in more ways than one).

Wow, many praises to whoever said "Under 25 years". Good luck in all your endeavours. I selected 40, but it should really be Never. :D

Well once again, Ive been in a hyper vortex of family hood and 'other dramas'.
So is life just a path to travel along and not a destinaton?
And is being rich just ...
Wanting to spend less than you can earn ...
and maybe also ...
Earning from capital (and managing that capital successfully) without exchanging time for labour?
My Hubby assures me 35 is a good age (pitty we are already past that)
Well - this has been a fascinating subject.
Isn't it sleep that I should be seeking now? What does it all mean? ZZZZZ

I have spent much time looking into the future.
I recently realised too much time.
So instead of thinking I'm getting out of this job at the very latest in 15 years time (when I plan to retire) am starting think hmmmm I might be getting out of this job ASAP and finding a job I want to be in for another 15 years! ;)

Regards

Keen

Back