When is a good time to visit Adelaide?

The populous answer to this one would be ‘never’!!! However, I am being serious.

The reason I ask is my folks are planning a trip to Adelaide some time soon and were wondering what time of year is a good time to visit. I know there are a number of Adelaidians lurking around here so I thought I would ask the question. The folks will be spending most of their time in Adelaide itself with a couple of day trips out and about and are looking for a bit of nice weather.

I was thinking soon would be good because I’m sure Adelaide has a pretty good autumn. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Just so long as you stay away from Adelaide yourself Owen (I'm assuming your parents are not buying IPs there ? :p )

The turn of season is usually ANZAC day. It rains on ANZAC day - almost always. Anytime between now and then is generally fine in my opinion. You can still have nice weather after that, but it gets a little more unpredictable. Can still have hot weather now too, but it's usually a bit more mild by the time you get to late March.

If they were thinking later in the year - I would suggest mid-spring (but watch out for hayfever if they suffer - don't forget the Telfast) - weather is usually splendid from late September onwards.

Thanks for the answer Sim'. I don't know if the folks have made a decision yet on when they are heading off but I forwarded your reply on to them.

And don't worry, neither them nor I am buying IP's in Adelaide... at the moment. I'm sure they will bring back a few local papers for me though!!!

G'Day Owen,

Having lived in Adelaide for 30 odd years I would tend to agree with Sim - it does tend to rain on ANZAC day! However 1987 was an exception, the mercury hit 36, I was playing football and came off second best with someone's elbow - hence the memory!

January & February tend to be the hottest months. March through May tend to be beautiful warm months with the temperature tending to range in the 20s. Of late June and July have been rather mild with the cold wet weather not coming until late August, September and then into October. Last October we had a couple of days in the mid 30s before spending the next 3-4 weeks shivering! November and December have then tended to be magnificent. Now having said all that I hope you realise that it will all be different this year!! :D

If your parents are planning day trips and they enjoy wine then make sure they visit the McLaren Value region or the Barossa Valley or even better both! There are heaps of winerys, some with tremendous views, some with great restaurants and all with fantastic wine.

Of course there are many other things to do - we just like to keep them quiet! Anyhow I hope they enjoy their trip and strike the good weather they are after.

Regards,

Reeg

The Clare Valley - yes of course. Actually truth be known I have never been there! However just after Easter we are taking the kids to stay on a farm just to the east of the Clare Valley so I will get the chance to visit then.

While talking of wine there are also many wineries dotted throughout the Adelaide Hills region and now near the Murray as well.

Back