When the lease expires....

When the lease expires in August, we want to put the rent up $40 to cover the renos and bring it back in line with market, AND we want the couple who BOTH SMOKE to leave (what happened to 'non smoker' on their application??). AND they have two dogs INSIDE.

What can we do about this NOW?

The PM said, " Any damage from smoking or dogs can come out of their bond." Really - what if the dogs scratch the brand new kitchen cupboards??

Can cigarette smoke burns get out of carpet?

Hi Elke

Can you issue a notice to vacate sooner? I don't know about property managing but if you requested to not have pets inside - and that hasn't been adhered to, surely there's some grounds to terminate the tenancy.

Cheers

Jamie

either offer a new lease renewal with new terms:
$40 increase
no smoking inside
no animals inside
as an aside, smoking inside and dogs inside is really a breach of any lease - not ok.

OR - I would be recommending this if this was one of my properties.
do not renew the lease
advertise for new tenants with the above terms.
It will be difficult to monitor and break the habits of the old ones.

Hi Elke

Can you issue a notice to vacate sooner? I don't know about property managing but if you requested to not have pets inside - and that hasn't been adhered to, surely there's some grounds to terminate the tenancy.

Cheers

Jamie

I agree Jamie - it's a breach of lease but needs to be dealt with through legal channels.
the PM should be sending a breach notice for the dogs and the smoking.

we are sending breach notices today for weeds in garden beds, let alone dogs and even worse -smoking.

a breach notice allows time for a tenant to remedy that breach.

Sounds like a breach of rental agreement! http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/hous...or-residency/landlord-giving-notice-to-vacate has a bunch of helpful information on the minimum notice required for each reason.

Under some circumstances (eg. if there is costly property damage, which it seems there could be), you should definitely consider claiming a portion of the bond to cover damages.

There are strict processes around all this governed by the RTA, so definitely check out the Consumer Affairs site.

Cheers

Back