When to dispose off contract of sale

Hi

I am still keeping all the contracts for my IPs and PPoR over the years and wondering when it is safe to chuck them away. I spoke to my PM and he said that I can throw them away after the sale?

Just wondering if I need it in the future for CGT purpose etc.

Cheers

I'm wondering the same thing, trawling through a mountains of disorganised paperwork at 2:30 in the morning doing my taxes for 13 properties....

When can let some of this stuff go, but you never know when you may need to look up some old details.
May as well file them away, well out of the way so it doesn't cause any bother.

Hi

I am still keeping all the contracts for my IPs and PPoR over the years and wondering when it is safe to chuck them away. I spoke to my PM and he said that I can throw them away after the sale?

Just wondering if I need it in the future for CGT purpose etc.

Cheers

I sold a property in most recent financial year - and my Accountant asked to see a copy of the original purchase contract.

So yes, I would highly recommend you to keep them until at least 5 years after you SELL any property.

If yo have claimed deductions on the property you need to keep evidence in case of an ATO audit. Probably not much need for a contract as the transfer indicates the amount, but it would be the contract date that is important.

NSW contracts are about 100+ pages so are a pain in the bottom to scan. But I do it, and usually do the whole contract.

If the file size is too big try using www.smallpdf.com to compress.

Back