When You Apply For A Job...

No conclusion? There is now. :)

CHAPTER 11 - THE CONCLUSION!

Basically the company went bust. I did not receive my money as he'd promised, and the company was handed over to the liquidator, and looks like I was not the only person to chase up money.

The company had no assets, so basically no one got what was owed to them.

Not the best outcome, but right from the beginning, I said to myself that I would pursue the matter until either of two events occurred: I received the money owed, or; the company goes bust in the process.

In all, I feel pretty good about the whole thing. Still, it was a while ago now, and is pretty much ancient history for me now. :)

I learned a lot more from the experiences of both working there, and pursuing 'stuff' from the legal system. I value both, much more than the money I never saw. :)

This has been great to follow. It's helped me decide between two great job offers, one being with a small start up and another being with the largest energy company in Australia...

This has been great to follow. It's helped me decide between two great job offers, one being with a small start up and another being with the largest energy company in Australia...

Hi David,

Yes, in hindsight, I should have trusted my instincts. My instincts said that the job may have been trouble, and my instincts were right.

Wow, it has been almost a year since this thread was last touched, (and many months since I've contributed to these forums — another story :rolleyes:), but some good news about this whole saga.

The company went into administration (see previous post), and I had to prove to the administrators my entitlement.

After almost a year with minimal hope, I finally got a cheque in the mail this afternoon for basically the full amount I was entitled to!

I honestly thought this would never have happened. I just hope the cheque doesn't bounce, but it shouldn't, as it's being managed by the administrators for the company.

Well, in conclusion, I hope someone gets some value out of this thread.

I have learned a heap out of this, which I look back on from a personal growth perspective, in a fond way.

Wow, fantastic outcome... unbelievable really!
A reward for your patience and persistance........
So, what are you going to spend/save it on?!
Pen

Wow, fantastic outcome... unbelievable really!
A reward for your patience and persistance........
So, what are you going to spend/save it on?!

Hi Penny,

Spending, what's that? :p

I'll just keep it in my interest account for the time being. I've got a tour around Europe coming up in May, so that will go towards spending money on that, I suppose. :)

skater said:
What a surprising outcome. Congratulations.

Thanks, Skater. :)

I just hope this thread helps a few more people if they have a few job options in front of them. It looks like it's already helped a few people, judging by some of the responses in this thread. This is a Good Thing™! :)

That's really great. Happy it turned out so well for you.

My son learned some valuable lessons this month.
He was working for a fast food place and had a pretty good schedule. Then the owner accepted a former employee back and gave him "closing hours" so that meant if the place slowed down, my son would be the one sent home early instead.
In the meantime, he applied at the factory where I worked and was offered a job. He gave his employer notice that he would be accepting another job. That gave them 4 days notice.His employee then proceded to make a scene in front of all the customers and told my son to leave.It started to get busy, they changed their mind and asked he do his shift. He agreed.As soon as it slowed down again, the boss told my son, she couldn't stand the sight of him anymore and to go.

My son started his new job, but things didn't work out and he was let go that week.

He put around lots of resumes and applications and was offered another job at a different factory. Not a job he really likes. He thinks it is very boring and the day drags.Money isn't very good either.However, he needed a job.

In the meantime he was given another job interview. They told him at one chain store he would have lots of work as they are short staffed. He thought that would be great.Just needed to wait until the Head Manager came back from holidays. They called him yesterday and said to start Monday. He asked them how many hours he would get. They said they would start with 14-18 hrs per week !!!
If his probabtion went well, they might give him more hours. He said he couldn't live on that few of hours and would need to decline.
Had another job offer at a major food supermarket. Same thing, they could only offer 20 hrs or less.He declined.

What's wrong with these places. Don't they know that most prople need more than 20 hrs to survive on? Then they complain because they are so short staffed.

Told my son I was proud of him. I know he doesn't like his job, but it was an adult decision to stay until something better comes along.(he's 19, and is buying ownership in a property)

He had another interview a week ago, and he is waiting to hear back from them. Silkscreening, all nights.....just what he is looking for.Keeping fingers crossed.

Hmmm Kathryn, I hate to say it but unless your son gets some valuable skills ie a trade or profession behind him it is highly likely that this is what the rest of his life could be like - getting shafted by one two-bit employee after another.

I should know - it happened to me in my 20's when I worked in hospitality and did clerical work in small, family owned type companies. I finally got jack of earning minimum wage and having to work two or three jobs in order to pay rent, eat and save a small amount of money to invest so I chucked it in, moved back home and started part time study in a field that is in great demand and commanding very high salaries.

Because of my study I have been able to get work experience at one of the largest diversified mining companies in the world and have just been employed in a part-time student traineeship at a large electricity company and am on a very good wage. I have resolved never to work for small companies ever again because the benefits are just not available as they are in global companies - any company I work for must be listed on a stock exchange somewhere or owned by a listed company - anything else is not worth it.

Basically, if I hadn't gotten off my **** I would still be working as a secretary or temp earning crap money and never getting anywhere. It took me far too long to realise this and all I can say is that the longer you stay in precarious work the harder it is to get out. Don't let your son waste his life working for these sort of places - it's not worth it.

I agree with you NatMarie.
I wish he would. In case he doesn't make that decision, I am trying to slowly show them(all our kids) the property way.

Good for you guys - I wish I had learnt about property investment when I was that age. I would have got off my bum a lot sooner than I did.

Back