Where are the degentrifying suburbs?

Jamesp,

Very harsh review ... Caroline Springs is an eminently liveable suburb.

My point is it's a bunch of estates in a paddock. Which is what Berwick has become (old Berwick aside), south of the rail tracks Berwick/Cranbourne/Officer/Pakenham/Lynbrook/Clyde now or less resemble this type of suburb. Didn't say anything about drunks in CS, that was a completely different context.

Cheers

Definitely out West.....suburbs like Maidestone, Braybrook, all the Sunshines, Albion & Ardeer are going through significant gentrification as we speak and have been for the last 3 years or so.

In my opinion, these areas provide some of the best real estate opportunities in all Melbourne for future growth because of the gentrification that is going on right now and also their proximity to the CBD.

Always DYOR.

In Melbourne I think Southbank, Docklands, Berwick and Caroline Springs are examples of suburbs that are de-gentrifying. Anywhere a suburb is dominated by new buildings is on the way down, as once everything in a suburb is new then the only possible way to go is down.

So, to make it state agnostic...
any "newly opened" place with more than 2x high rise apartment project full with Off The Plan unit will be degentrified few years after the building is fully erected and the builder declare bankruptcy ?

De gentrifying areas could be those where residents from lower socio economic areas closer to the cities are pushed out to newer outlying areas as changes are made

Merriwa in Perth became Balga by the sea a few years back when a lot of housing commission residents were moved out there

De gentrifying areas could be those where residents from lower socio economic areas closer to the cities are pushed out to newer outlying areas as changes are made

Merriwa in Perth became Balga by the sea a few years back when a lot of housing commission residents were moved out there

Ah yes, that's the thing that I cannot see it anywhere in the intenret.
So how do we know which area got Housing Commission building or planned ?

THe only option that I can think of is just... by emailing the local Council and hope for their honest reply.

Do most others here agree we often let past opinions of such suburbs get in the way of making money? For instance the logans in brisbane, the elizabeths in adelaide and the kwinanas in perth have all done very well, are examples that come to mind. :eek:
100%. I bought in Cloverdale, which was previously considered a 'slum'. I remember my relatives lived in the area 20 years ago and when we visited we noticed it was a dodgy area. Houses were under $100k but none of us considered investing there. Many years later, with the FIFO boom, r-code changes and zoning changes and the price boomed. I was lucky to pick up a property on the uptick and saw a couple of hundred k added to the price in a couple of years.

Even so, I am still a suburb snob. I still see Forrestfield as a slum even though it has performed very well, is undergoing considerable upgrades (infrastructure and housing), is well located to the hills and the airport and could even get a train station. My perception is what is holding me back from investing in the area even though I know my perception is not reality.

Sorry couldn't help but LOL. I've been there and I'd have to say no one in their right mind would choose CS over Berwick! My dads side lived in Melton we'd travel across the entire west watching it change over the last 30 years. The dead grass and windmills slowing being replaced with dust estates.
If you're family's grown up in Melbourne for more than 3 generations then you'd understand that entire area is prairylands and comparing it to Berwick is lol distance or not. I suppose sunshine and spotswood are the "Tooraks" of the west as well!!!

Even Sunshine/Maidstone/Braybrook and Footscray are heavily undesirable to people who know Melbourne. I think too many people lately are disregarding how undesirable these suburbs really are for the sake of a few train stations and food courts. I assume many people are looking to invest here are interstate using cbd proximity as a marker for quality, frankly there are no jewels in the west and comparing Caroline Springs
to Berwick let alone anything in the Casey region in terms of aesthetics and demographics is absurd. Berwick has strong demand for owner occupiers because if you're willing to put distance aside, it's far nicer than most suburbs between it and the city.

The west is for proximity everything else it lacks in comparison to all other regions of Melbourne!

Lol, hilarious post. You can have your Berwick, all of us in those western suburbs you mentioned will just keep laughing.

Lol, hilarious post. You can have your Berwick, all of us in those western suburbs you mentioned will just keep laughing.

Clearly knows nothing about "investing" for future growth and the topic of this post which is "Gentrification". To compare "Berwick" with the other suburbs mentioned as part of this topic (ie suburbs experiencing Gentrification" is absolute laughable. Berwick experiencing Gentrification, yep I can really see the yuppies and young professionals who are starting out their working career in the CBD all flocking to Berwick straight away because it's "Gentrifying" lol.

Concur BFT. The poster had been so disparaging of western Melbourne and in particular Caroline Springs that I naturally presumed he was resident in one of the traditionally accepted pre-eminent suburbs (eg. Glen Iris, Hawthorn et al). When he mentioned Berwick .... well, words fail me ....

Not sure if serious :eek:

For investment purposes I somewhat understand. But sledging Berwick over Caroline Springs in terms of aesthetics is lol! Not to mention every other factor, bar proximity.

Last edited:
Back