Where are you looking in Brisbane in 2012?

Yeah just curious as to where people have their eyes set in Brisbane this year for good rental yield and capital growth?

Also what do people think of the Gold Coast?

Toowoomba

Looking at Darling Heights, Centenerary Heights, Meringandan & Withcott... Next IP is in Darling Heights.

I agree with the others here,
Places that don't flood and with desperate sellers,
Flood houses/prices are driving down the prices of dry houses,
If you have the money,now is the time to buy.

Looking at a highset in the Logan City area which will give dual income if I rent top and bottom separately. Anyone had any experience with those ?

I am looking at Deception Bay and Toowoomba if anyone has any advice

I live in D'Bay, PM me if you have any questions. I would be happy to share my knowledge.

I have also had a long interest in buying around Toowoomba. So if you would like to compare notes ..... PM me!

Well I think so but need to discount for vested interest :)

The level of buyer enquiry these last 6 weeks has knocked my socks off, it's been great and I'm trying to work out why exactly. Most people are still very cautious and a lot of people are still fence sitting and waiting for some positive momentum but also more people actually taking some buying action which is encouraging.

Interesting thread, I am also looking in areas that flooded. I will not steal the thread on my thoughts in buying in these areas. I will post another thread.

Brian

Very true Painter. Both of ours in the Ipswich shire have been driven down in value due to the floods and both are kilometer's away from flood area's and remained well and truly dry.

Definitely some good opportunities around if anyone is looking, especially if you are buy and hold investors.

Mystery

Ahhh but how to find out which places don't flood and who the desperate sellers are :)?

Ahhh but how to find out which places don't flood and who the desperate sellers are :)?

Hey Shutter,

A very quick way that I often use to see if Brisbane properties were flooded in the Jan 2011 floods is to go on nearmap.com over brisbane and click back to Jan 2011... has some very clear photos and is very handy as a first point to see if a specific property did flood.

Obviously you shouldn't just rely on this - but it is pretty useful.

Cheers

Hey Shutter,

A very quick way that I often use to see if Brisbane properties were flooded in the Jan 2011 floods is to go on nearmap.com over brisbane and click back to Jan 2011... has some very clear photos and is very handy as a first point to see if a specific property did flood.

Obviously you shouldn't just rely on this - but it is pretty useful.

Cheers

YPG, what a great tip. Thank you so much for that.:)

>Flood wise property reports
>Flood flag maps for flood levels and overland flow (TLPI maps for levels)
>Site inspection to carefully check for water runoff potential from nearby properties

Desperate sellers, often the agent will help you out there and never know how desperate till you ask them with a written offer!

Brisbane for an IP around $300k - Where to look?

Hi Investors,

I have $300k to spend for an IP. Brisbane seems like a great place to buy as i believe it is at the bottom of the property cycle. I live in Sydney, can someone give some advice on what suburbs to look at for a house in my price range and what suburbs to keep away from. Of course i am looking for non flood prone areas.

I read somewhere that a house will give me greater capital growth over the next few years, is that right? If not, where can i buy a good townhouse or villa.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

Andrew

Prices to come down further in Brisbane

Hi to all,

I have been watching the property market in Brisbane for 8 years but mainly been involved in the share market before getting out in late 2007. Top stocks forum I was actively involved in and made some good money before getting out before the GFC.

I bought in 2004 and now have almost finished paying off the mortgage. My belief that prices in Brisbane will still come down especially on the southside of Brisbane. As we know banks control the booms and after speaking to my banking friends I don't see this happening for quite some time. I have been monitoring outskirts of Brisbane and seeing the fallout especially areas like Redbank plains, Collingwood park. There are huge developments down school road that are struggling to get renters and first home buyers which are pulling down the prices of established homes in the area.

Then you get to Forest Lake that have a lot of stock especially 4/5 bedroom houses with pools under $500.000 - $450,000 - $500,000 and closer to Brisbane. I think wow I might buy one and rent it out. But then you check houses for rent and there you find the 4/5 bedrooms for rent and that stock is rising quite rapidly, with other people having the same thought.

Then you get to Acacia Ridge 13 kms from CBD and there houses are only selling under $300,000 and recently been Auctioned off by the banks at $250.000 by defaulting Investment property owners. I know a lot of Sydney investors rushed into Redbank plains last year buying bargains only to have found more stock getting cheaper and harder to find the tenants and having to lower rental expectations.

I believe the tide is still going out and will for at least another 2 years. The way the banks are behaving atm I don't see money flowing that easy to the general populace to lift property prices in the short term. The fallout of job loses in a lot of industries have not yet hit the market so will start see this impacting over the next 6 months 2 year period. China, japan economy is retracting so I see next few years of stagnation in Australia property market which gives people time to choose a quality investment property or save a healthy deposit. I don't see the need to rush into the market atm.

Just my 10 cents.

Last edited:
Back