Where can we find tadpoles???

Anyone in Adelaide have kids?

I remember as a youngster going out to creeks and collecting tadpoles. I loved it!!!!

I would now love to take my kids out to collect tadpoles and watch them grow. All the creeks I used to go to have either been turned into car parks (which is very sad) or there is just no evidence of frogs in the area (as far as I can tell!). I know they are out there because all the pet shops sell them but buying them is no fun!

Can anyone in Adelaide tell me where the tadpoles are? I have not seen any as an adult (except in Canada)! Where can we go to find some in nature????

My kids found some down at Normanville a few weeks ago.. up behind the golf course.. in a creek.. or a bit closer, they also found some at Tangari Regional Park down behind Woodcroft in the creek that runs through that..

Unfortunately, frog populations near urban centres are getting decimated. It's very sad that some kids today won't even see tadpoles sprouting limbs....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Geez ... last week it was weavils, this week it's tadpoles ... next week it'll be silkworms :D

Agree with the Y-Man, they're disappearing ...

But, I notice I still have the occasional cane toad in my backyard ... have you seen any frogs / toads in your yard (assuming you are not an apartment dweller) at night?

If you can't find any tadpoles naturally, perhaps you can encourage some frogs or more likely, toads, to lay eggs in your garden by leaving water out in a shady place?

When I lived in North Queensland (many moons ago) it only took a bit of rain and suddenly there were tadpoles in every pothole of the driveway!

Just a suggestion. I understand September is frog census month in Adelaide :p

DJ

If you can't find any tadpoles naturally, perhaps you can encourage some frogs or more likely, toads, to lay eggs in your garden by leaving water out in a shady place?
DJ

Probably more likely to end up with mozzies!! :eek: :)

I don't know Adelaide, but try the local lakes if there are any - even those man-made ones they put in estates might give haven to frogs...but obviously a natural one with reeds and over-hanging plants would be better... This is where we have always found tadpoles/tiny fish in Perth.

Good luck!!

Nadia

Probably more likely to end up with mozzies!! :eek: :)

I should have said, only put out water if you definitely have toads/frogs. :rolleyes:

If you've got either, surely they'd eat the mozzies so it would all be good?

DJ

PS now I have this horrible image of Dengue Fever in Adelaide. Doh!

I don't really know much about frogs and tadpoles. But I'd suggest that you go out somewhere to listen to where there are frog noises- probably evening or early morning. I'd be guessing that ponds or slow flowing rivers might be a good place to start.

Maybe the chlorine...?

I've noticed they (tadpoles) have diminished around here on the farm too....thought it might be related to sprays?

Quick check with Scribbly Gum :) :

http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/March2001/default.htm

says: *Frog numbers have been fast declining around Australia for a number of years.*

....and:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/tadpoles/

Explains a little about chlorine and some other toxic stuff to tadpole life...I guess it's not much fun being a tadpole in 21st century.

My kids found some down at Normanville a few weeks ago.. up behind the golf course.. in a creek.. or a bit closer, they also found some at Tangari Regional Park down behind Woodcroft in the creek that runs through that..

Thanks Dunc we will certainly try there! An aquarium place near our house also suggested somewhere up near Salisbury. I can just see us now in the pajero driving all over Adelaide looking for Tadpoles just to entertain the kids :D

Silk worms could be a good project for the kids too where do you get those? :D ;)

Seriously? I can't tell with those faces .... I always just pulled them off a mulberry tree - there always used to be a few. And a couple of leaves for them to live off, of course :D

mmmm, mulberries. Might pop out to the garden and grab some for my brekkie fruit salad! Gotta love Sunday mornings!

DJ

We lived near a creek at Hawthorn - still there I think. I remember as a kid collecting what I thought was tadpoles, and looked after them in my bedroom until I thought they would grow legs. Well, they didnt, they grew wings, didnt they and my bedroom got infested with mosquitoes!

Maybe try near Waterfall Gully - that area is still quite pristine! And a great walk for the kids too!

My gosh, there is actually a website about frogs with a forum:

www.frogs.org.au

Maybe this could be a project for your kids Xenia!

Frog buddies

Here is a pic of my frog buddies. They live in a constructed box attached to the back of my house. They eat moths under the spotlight and are free to come and go as they please.
Frog_buddies.jpg

May be try the River Torrens, towards Campbelltown, Windsor Gardens area. In some areas you can walk right down to the creek - if there is water in it??
Nice BBQ areas along the way too.

When we first moved into our house with the old kitchen and holes in the outside wall, the frogs could get into the kitchen cupboards.
Getting a new kitchen mean't the frogs had to be evicted outside permanently. I built a frog box, screwed it to the outside wall, and when I painted the rear of the house, I painted the box the same colour so it blended in.
We do get the occasional toad which the dogs quickly learned not to touch. I guess they figure frogs are the same.
Nature on my doorstep literally, as you have to watch where you are walking outside at night.
I have an above ground trough for them to breed in down the backyard but they reckon we haven't had a decent wet season yet to breed.
You should hear the raquet when a storm comes around and the frogs start croaking! :)

Normy Tadpoles..

Hey Xenia,

Here's today's effort.. very young tadpoles found in the lagoon that my Normanville Holiday House is on..

You ((and Adprop )did a great job selling my properties.. email me the dates you have a weekend free, I'll make sure the place is vacant and you can have a Kids Tadpole Weekend there!

tadpoles.jpg

Not sure if there's breeding season or not.. but the house is free next weekend in case its a short season!

Back