Where do santa letters go?

Yes, yes, yes, I know the North Pole....... but serious question following

I have a daughter who turned 3 in August so she is just starting to understand Santa (and we can now use the "Santa wont come to naughty girls" threat):D

Anyway, I told her we would write to santa. I think you use to be able to post a letter marked "TO SANTA" and Australia Post had some section that answered the letters. Is this right? Or is there some special address you have to put on the letter. I realise she is probably young enough that I can fool her that Santa has replied but just for future reference........................?????

Every year, my kids email Santa via this page. They get fabulous email responses, which are cleverly customised to their content. eg They wrote that they were in Brisbane, and even though the site is based in Canada, they got a reference of "I'll look out for you when I fly over Mt Coot-tha", or another time "Have you been to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary? I love visiting the animals there", and things like that. Santa also comments on their gift requests, eg "Lots of kids have asked for a PS3 this year; they're very popular!"

The Canadian volunteers who run this website have really put in a lot of effort to make it really interactive and "real" feeling. I've made a little donation each year for Santa's beer money. ;)

what a postcode - 9999.

i wonder how much real estate is there - there'd be a huge demand for rentals considering all the elves work for free - i don't think any bank would lend to them.

hmmmm....

Yes, yes, yes, I know the North Pole....... but serious question following

I have a daughter who turned 3 in August so she is just starting to understand Santa (and we can now use the "Santa wont come to naughty girls" threat):D

Anyway, I told her we would write to santa. I think you use to be able to post a letter marked "TO SANTA" and Australia Post had some section that answered the letters. Is this right? Or is there some special address you have to put on the letter. I realise she is probably young enough that I can fool her that Santa has replied but just for future reference........................?????

Isn't it great how we learn to lie to our kids at such a young age :D

Maybe they get back at us in their teenage years :eek:

GG

I told my kids early on that Santa accepted amendment letters.

This was because their wish list kept changing and I couldn't put up with them getting distraught every time they realised they'd requested the wrong presents :mad:.

Consequently many of these amendments ended up in the drawer because the kids would be happy to have me post them first thing the next day after a change the night before:p.

They've since read them and reminisced the 'good ol' days'.

As for the lie... both children loved this lie and were disappointed to find out the truth.

Santa is of course A Canadian, both the magnetic (on land) and the geographic (on water) north Poles are in Canada
Santa is contactable by mail at

SANTA CLAUS
NORTH POLE
H0H 0H0
CANADA

further information, :: not a fake postal code ::

The Canadian Postal system uses 3 letters and 3 numbers,
17576000 codes, very small geographic areas, you really only need the name and postal code to get your mail, my mother used to send letters from Aus addressed
Name Canada B2N 5B4
Because postmen know everybody in the area, and gossip lets em know all the new people fast
Our current postal code in, almost the very, east is B2N 3P1,
150 yards up the road the postal code changes to B2N 3P2
- starts at A in the east and goes to Z in the west
H0H, is around the lakes in the top middle of the country.
H0H 0H0 was an accident, it just came that way (spooky)

Santa is tracked worldwide each year by NORAD, North American Aerospace Defense Command, to ensure that slow moving, by comparison, jet aircraft avoid and evade the sleigh, current location of Santa clause on christmas eve (beginning in Zulu time) can be found on the Norad website the tracking site becomes active 1 December each year.

Last edited:
Santa is of course A Canadian, both the magnetic (on land) and the geographic (on water) north Poles are in Canada

I saw on tele that Santa lived in Finland. They even showed his cottage and showed the letters he got at his Finland home. He even has a wife there and the dwarves.

I hope Santa does not have 2 wives and 2 homes. It wouldn't be a good example to the kiddies if Santa were arrested on Bigamy charges!

g

.............i wonder how much real estate is there - there'd be a huge demand for rentals considering all the elves work for free - i don't think any bank would lend to them..................

Yep. They'd be skating on thin ice, what with global warming and all :p :D

Hey thanks for all the serious replies (and the not so serious, had a good laugh),

OZPERP, that website is great thanks.

Almostbob: HMMM .......... are you telling me that if I sent a letter to that address in canada for Santa, I would get a reply?

And as for those elves and their accommodation, maybe Santa has supplied "company" houses for everyone..... maybe he's a land lord as well as Santa!

I went to Santa's house in Finland when I was 9 - it's definately real!!
I saw his reindeers out the back of the house and stacks and stacks of books with kids' names in them inside the house, there were elves running around everywhere! I wrote my name in a ledger, just to make sure that he had my address down correctly!
There were also a few tonnes of letters in sacks sitting around the place from kids from all over the world! Guessing he was going to write the replies later :)

We flew into Helsinki then up to Rovenemi (sorry if any Finn's are on this site, my spelling's shocking) crossing the Artic Circle in the process. The house was somewhere around there..

On a side note, I also managed to get my reindeer driving licence while I was there too! I should still have all of the points on this one, unlike my current licence! :(

I guess it was one way for mum to stop me asking the questions about whether Santa was real.

Back