where do you find an independent building inspector?

I've read on Jenman's website that you should never get one recommended by the agent.... if so, where should I find one? I'm a first time homebuyer and I have no friends or rellies to ask...

Will I get a good one if I just google it? I am buying in innerwest Sydney.

We agree with Buzz that Archicentre should at least be on your list.

Archicentre is an independantly owned building advisory service and subsidiary of the Australian Institute of Architects.

Being Accredited Archicentre Architects our architectural practice completes these pre-purchase inspections on a regular basis.

You can contact them on: 1300 13 45 13 or request more Information at:

http://www.archicentre.com.au/html/inspections.html

I'm more of a reader than a poster, but I've used this mob for my first home 6 years ago, IP 2 months ago, PPOR-upgrade last Monday (exchanging on Monday - woot!) and they will be inspecting existing PPOR for any surprises before we sell.

http://www.sibis.com.au/

Hi, As a conveyancer appointing inspectors on behalf of my clients i use PPI Registry or Howard Ryan who is the founder of the PPI registry. They ensure that all their members are insured, licensed, fully qualified and keep the inspectors informed of the changes in the industry. I do not use an inspector unless they are registered with PPI - for peace of mind see their website www.pre-purchase.com.au.

thanks for all your helpful suggestions! it's a bit of a minefield out there.

I must admit I was amused when I read the first reply:

"Your solicitor or conveyancer probably has a couple they use for most of their clients."

We don't have a solicitor or conveyancer either, lol. I wonder where people find theirs from too?

(basically, my hubby & I are the first among our friends to buy a property, we don't have any friends to ask for recommendations!)

Sure - you can ask - we are about to buy our first PPoR, meeting with a mortgage broker this week to determine our maximum borrowing capacity. We have 20% deposit so I don't expect too much to go wrong there. We'd like to get approval for 600k but more likely to buy in the low 500k's.

We have an area we want to buy in (Sydney's inner west) but nothing lined up when it comes to building inspectors or solicitors/conveyancers.

Back