Where has the water pressure gone?

We had a bathroom reno done on our PPOR a while ago and ever since the water pressure has dropped significantly, but only in the bathroom. We asked the plumber hired for the job and he said its because we bought cheap taps. While they were in the budget range, we did purchase them from a proper plumbing supply shop. The sales person told us most people buy the same as we did.

Do taps make a difference to the water pressure? If so, how can you tell which tap is ok and which is a dud in the shop. To me, a tap is a tap.

Could the problem be caused by something else or should we just buy expensive taps.

Have your new taps got those little screw on filter thingies? I think new taps taps all do. They diffuse the water and maybe hold back the water a bit. Perhaps try screwing them off. If it is just the hot water, does your new setup have a new HW system with all the water tempering (limit of how much hot) gear attached? maybe that will drop the pressure too.

I am no plumber :confused::):D

We had a bathroom reno done on our PPOR a while ago and ever since the water pressure has dropped significantly, but only in the bathroom. We asked the plumber hired for the job and he said its because we bought cheap taps. While they were in the budget range, we did purchase them from a proper plumbing supply shop. The sales person told us most people buy the same as we did.

Do taps make a difference to the water pressure? If so, how can you tell which tap is ok and which is a dud in the shop. To me, a tap is a tap.

Could the problem be caused by something else or should we just buy expensive taps.
That can depend on what sort of set-up,but the bottom line is a lot of plumbers are very happy with all the plumbing supplies from China,because they don't last very long some only six months before they need work,where as anything made in Australia lasts for years,so to spend the extra 100 bucks will save you big$$$$$ over time..

With the water pressure,it can only be the pipe work or the taps,most new
taps have L-P filters if you were to pull the shower head and basin taps apart and reset the filters then that will bring the pressure up,if that does not work then it's the pipe work..willair..imho..

Think about what was there before and what has been renewed. Obviously it will be one or a combination of the new things that cause the problem. I agree with checking all fixtures - taps, shower roses, tempering valve etc for filters, also check the pipe work where visible for crimping especially at sharp bends. I would be checking the tempering valve first if one was fitted by the plumber. This valve is a safety device to restrict the temperature of the hot water to the bathroom to stop children from getting scalds. This device usually sits on the external (outside) face of the wall close to the bathroom - was a new hot water unit fitted? Check that too.

Cheers, Pud

I am thinking water saving devices on your new taps. They are white plastic inserts, easy to locate if you take the shower head off for instance, and which restrict water flow. Easy to remove but maybe not legal to do so?

:)
I had same problem. New taps sometimes have matal brass shavings etc in them (especially if made in China) that clog the fine mesh water diffuser on end of spout. Just unscrew and wash out. Prob fixed.

Back