Where to buy in Brisbane???

Thanks again for all the replies... So if it was you which option would you choose and why? I'm ready to buy... :)

Buying:
1. A brand new 3BR Townhouse in Eight Mile Plains, 12km to CBD for $360K with possible rent returns or $360+/week + BC fees approx $2400pa

2. Buy an old but reasonable condition in Keperra or Stafford for $400K+, rental returns $360+/week?

3. Or somewhere a bit cheaper and easy rent like Rocklea or Beenleigh?

So what would be wise option? :confused:

Stafford - rental returns - a renovated 3 bedder, off the main road, should fetch $380-$390/week. Unrenovated, and it's more like $330-$340/week.

I think you would do ok with a house in either Rocklea or Beenleigh. I don't know northern suburbs very well.

I think now is not the time to be heavily neg geared so I'd be more inclined to choose the property with the best return.

Townhouse would give good return and depreciation, I would rather have a house though. It's up to your personal circumstances.

This property is in a good location of beenleigh.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-beenleigh-106398718?tm=1269395907&c=55009196&t=res

yes but then also get out the map with the new transport infrastructure that is to be (or currently being) built - Stafford is a MAJOR benefactor...

Nth brisbane now is more than just about sticking by the train or major hubs...

Hi. Where can I access to Brisbane new transport infrastructure info? Thanks

BeesNees city realty often provides info on what's happening around inner city Brisbane. Here's some extracts from them.

TransApex… it’s great news for inner Brisbane residents

With so much happening with Brisbane infrastructure it can be hard to keep up. So here’s a ‘Cook’s tour’ of the latest:
The opening this month of Clem 7 is a significant milestone for a lot of reasons. It’s the first piece of the Lord Mayor’s “TransApex” plan, and this 4.8km tunnel is the first Brisbane river crossing for cars since 1986. Almost a quarter of a century!

The media write about the impact on cross-city travel, speeding travel times. But there’s also major benefits to the live-ability for inner city residents and property owners. Clem 7 will take 60,000 cars a day away from surface roads and move them underground. Residents of Kangaroo Point, Woolloongabba and South Brisbane will have less noise and less congestion.

The next piece of the Newman TransApex Pie is the Hale Street Link, a bridge between South Brisbane and Milton that’s due to open in just 2 months time. This one will help free up the traffic bottlenecks that occur in so many near-CBD junctions. Two new cross river crossings will be complete - amazing how things can actually get done!

Airport Link is the third major project, now being run by the state government, and with tunnel boring underway as we write. This 6.7km roadway will start at Bowen Hills, linking the Clem 7 and Inner City Bypass to out near the airport. Residents in suburbs like Clayfield, Windsor and Lutwyche will have direct and immediate benefit when it opens in 2012.

Suburbs like Auchenflower and Milton can often feel like thoroughfares for major traffic routes Milton Road and Coronation Drive. But with the Northern Link soon to burrow from the Western Freeway at Toowong and popping back up at Kelvin Grove to link with the Inner City Bypass, there’ll be some relief for these inner west residents. Northern Link is due to start construction this year and wrap up in 2014.

The fifth and final TransApex is the East West Link. This tunnel would link the M1 at Buranda with the Western Freeway at Toowong, bypassing the West End peninsula to offer a significant cross-city link. Even the inner-south’s anti-development movement must be able to see the benefits of this one. Officially it appears East West is on hold for some years to come…

Savvy property owners and investors watch infrastructure changes with interest. There’s plenty on this list to keep us all busy for the next few years.

that's only a very small part of the overall plan.

any other brisbane-ites here Captain Bligh talking about changing the north-west Transport corridor to a rail corridor the other day??

that'll shake up the northside property market!!:p

any other brisbane-ites here Captain Bligh talking about changing the north-west Transport corridor to a rail corridor the other day??:p

where'd you hear that UC?

That's certainly needed.....Running a trainline from Alderley or Enoggera along or under Old Northern Road all the way to Warner would be a sensible thing.

It's a pity all this stuff wasn't planned, costed, and allocated funds 40 years ago, when politicians realized we needed to grow our population for security/defence purposes.... something Bernard Salt touched on today.

meanwhile, back to Ben Hur.

Well Last May I bought a 3x2x1 townhouse in Calamvale and in december I bought another 3x2x1 in Manly West. Rents are 370 and 365 respectively

where'd you hear that UC?

Madonna King was giving Racheal Nolan grief (God bless her!!) the other morning (Thurs?) about it and other Transport projects...Nolan let it slip that whilst the corridor has been preserved as a road corridor for 40 years, they are now considering changing that to rail. Bligh mentioned it on something, but can't remember what now...

That's certainly needed.....Running a trainline from Alderley or Enoggera along or under Old Northern Road all the way to Warner would be a sensible thing.
that won't happen - this corridor draws a straight line from Enoggera to Carseldine - if you look at google maps there is a green belt running from behind Harvey Norman all the way along trouts Rd up to the eastern side of Ridley Rd, where it finally joins Gympie rd near Bunnings.

Now, if you consider that in line with the need for another northern rail line that would essentially come out about 500m south of the existing highway crossing of the Petrie line - and then the ongoing Kippa Ring rail saga, things start to make a bit of sense.

still be 30 years before anything is done though!!:(

It's a pity all this stuff wasn't planned, costed, and allocated funds 40 years ago, when politicians realized we needed to grow our population for security/defence purposes.... something Bernard Salt touched on today.
amen to that!

Beware of Rocklea

Some have suggested Rocklea as a good investment area. Yes it is close to the city but but has serious flooding issues so future land development is limited. It is small in terms of number of houses but there is plenty of land with nothing on it due to it being a flood area.

Rocklea is also quite unattractive when driving through and has a fair industrial feel to it. ie heavy engineering fabrication businesses.

There are other areas with better prospects in my opinion.

Joe

Don't hold your breath.

For the last 100 years (or so it seems) there has been a dedicated rail corridor to ....... Redcliffe!!
Marg

For OP.. have you considered Calamvale? Rochdale south is another considerations tho the price is still fairly high compare to say 6 months ago. Both Calamvale and Rochdale south are some of the suburbs where it is extremely convinient to busses as transport.

I wouldnt be looking at Algester anymore as the area was way overpriced for the age and condition of property (tho it could be due to the ones we have looked at a few months ago). Transport from Algester is not that convinient either..

There was a report that I saw (mortgage something?) which indicates that gold coast properties (even had a few suburbs listed) is very likely to be on the rise due to the change in economy, tho how reliable it is I am not sure...

PS. I am still a newb to IP and still learning so my info is based on my limited knowledge.

Don't hold your breath.

For the last 100 years (or so it seems) there has been a dedicated rail corridor to ....... Redcliffe!!
Marg

not holding my breath at all - I used to work in this area (transport planning)...interesting to note this corridor is back in the sites of captain Bligh though. It hasn't been discussed in years...and never as a rail corridor.

was more for the info of WW and some of the others who asked the question.

Finally some progress with an underground rail system :)

Although it seems to be duplicating the north south busway.. Does anyone else get a headache when they look at a map of Brisbane and think of better routes for the public transport, while incorporating the existing?? :(

Back