where to buy in Perth - solid deposit, small loan

feel free to post up any houses you like & i can give you my thoughts on each one in your budget - Ive lived here for 20+ years.

I would normally recommend my suburb Como/South Perth but with that budget you will be very hard pressed to find a stand alone house (my ip is for sale at 660 and its the cheapest/only house for sale in the area at or under that price with some land).

If you go further out I would recommend houses around the good state schools (must be in their catchment zone), willeton high school for example.

Thanks for the tip. Will do. I'll be making some embarrasing offers/bids - probably gonna see a rejection rate close to 100%, but I only need one or two wiling sellers.

What area and type of property are looking at?

For something close to or at $600K, generally anything within 6-7 kms to the city, house with as big land content as possible. Am not looking at the Balga's of this world though. I'm sure it'll 'come good' at some point but am concentrating on already respectable suburbs.

If cheapies, obviously the radius widens and I'll also focus on beachside areas further out fro city...but I'd prefer to find one, more expensive gem.

For something close to or at $600K, generally anything within 6-7 kms to the city, house with as big land content as possible. Am not looking at the Balga's of this world though. I'm sure it'll 'come good' at some point but am concentrating on already respectable suburbs.

If cheapies, obviously the radius widens and I'll also focus on beachside areas further out fro city...but I'd prefer to find one, more expensive gem.

I think this is good value on Bayswater border. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential land-wa-ashfield-201039019

Hi HE

Suburbs within 7km of Perth CBD with large land component at $600K I wish.
Here is a list, check out the medians I think low balling wont get close with the majority of these suburbs, villa perhaps??
http://myboot.com.au/wa/10/suburblist.aspx

I think you have a better chance of finding what you want targeting upto 15 km from CBD, attached is a list. This is still a good proposition if you find something where you can add value down the track as you mentioned.

Here is a property that I thought was interesting if you could pick this up at the right price, may be a good one, rare to find this size land component in this area. This is a blue collar area, ticks many boxes.

http://myboot.com.au/wa/15/suburblist.aspx

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-beechboro-119482855

I would low ball this one, a little dip in the area at the moment, but great area consistent growth and like the size of the block and location. Agent got record price for a brand new 3x2 for $880K on 385 sqm block. Buyers love new product in this area. I think some pockets along this southern corridor are worth looking at, another Coobellup, though it has already jumped up in price, perhaps now going sideways, not sure??

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-kardinya-117201539

Take your time as there are going to be some great gems that hit the market, Perth market is slowing down.

Thanks guys, will look into these . Not sure about the one in Beechboro though as its staring down a T section, but it gives me a sense of what I should seek out.

I'd take Bayswater/Bassendean everyday of the week before beechboro/lockridge area, you said you weren't interested in Balga type properties and realistically beechboro/lockridge is probably worse than balga in recent years.

OK thanks. Is the north more highly regarded than the south generally?

I've also noticed properties closer to (but still above) my limit eg Willagee, Willeton - not sure if the south has the same quotient of riff raff close to the city.

Then there's places like Duncraig which are, although further out from the city, more expensive than some suburbs closer in. I presume its because those burbs are closer to Scarborough beach, and west of the freeway?

Also apart from Cottesloe, what are the next best beaches closest to the city? I don't think one can ever go wrong buying close to the beach and being within 10 kms or so to the city. I'm guessing its Scarborough and Triggs beaches?

Thanks guys, must be annoying for you all but all help appreciated.

I've also noticed properties closer to (but still above) my limit eg Willagee, Willeton - not sure if the south has the same quotient of riff raff close to the city.

Then there's places like Duncraig which are, although further out from the city, more expensive than some suburbs closer in. I presume its because those burbs are closer to Scarborough beach, and west of the freeway?

Also apart from Cottesloe, what are the next best beaches closest to the city? I don't think one can ever go wrong buying close to the beach and being within 10 kms or so to the city. I'm guessing its Scarborough and Triggs beaches?

Duncraig is a funny area with heaps if different pockets. Min. Price is low-mid $600,000's for the most bogan/roughest part. South Duncraig starts at around $700,000 for the nicer streets. Some streets are feral and some are gorgeous. Prices have peaked and have come down about 5% in recent months. Duncraig and Carine High are both sought after schools. I feel the area isn't really good value as most properties are really dated. Mount Lawley is an equally good high school. I think it's school catchment is much better value. Still reasonably close to city, beach and river. The houses are on smaller blocks than Duncraig though, which is what makes Duncraig desirable.
Yokine etc, you could possibly purchase a couple of villa's on 200-400sqm of land with a pretty good rental return.

Perth market started going sideways in many areas around 6 months ago. If you consider/review previous cycles in Australia there are always some years before you see another rise. Have we hit the bottom, don't know, but doubt it?? Stock is increasing at the moment.

Scarb, Trigg, North Beach, Doubleview, deve site I think we are talking closer to $1M+, need deep pockets to hold and even deeper pockets to develop.

MTR:)

Scarb, Trigg, North Beach, Doubleview, deve site I think we are talking closer to $1M+, need deep pockets to hold and even deeper pockets to develop.

MTR:)

Doubleview/Scarborough dev sites are starting to come down, Trigg/North Beach are still significantly above the 1mil.
Many across Scarb/Doubleview are now 800-900 for a triplex block.

Doubleview/Scarborough dev sites are starting to come down, Trigg/North Beach are still significantly above the 1mil.
Many across Scarb/Doubleview are now 800-900 for a triplex block.

Margins are still tight imo.

I've been waiting 12 months for prices to drop, I think there will be decent buying opps from say July onwards give or take a couple of months

Margins are still tight imo.

I've been waiting 12 months for prices to drop, I think there will be decent buying opps from say July onwards give or take a couple of months

Prices are coming down just about everywhere and I agree there will be better buying opportunities down the track for deve sites, but then again end product is also coming down in many areas. Just a matter of finding the opportunities that make sense, not seeing many at the moment, but has been like this for some time now.

Yes in general I know the heat is out of Perth but I'm I'm finding it hard to find great value. As long as rates stay that low, it's going to be an uphill battle but we shall soldier on and keep putting in those crazy offers.

Prices are coming down just about everywhere and I agree there will be better buying opportunities down the track for deve sites, but then again end product is also coming down in many areas. Just a matter of finding the opportunities that make sense, not seeing many at the moment, but has been like this for some time now.

I think there are different opportunities that present themselves during a flat market. Lots less competition for sites as the mum and dad's who don't know what they're doing aren't putting in silly offers but requires the development to be run very well, gotta give the market exactly what it wants in order to sell well. I'm going to be buying again in second half of the year once some capital is freed up. Currently everything is being invested in small businesses.

Ok, sounds good, I am going to watch and pay attention and hopefully will learn something, I have always purchased when market is rising, I need to work this so I can do both

Mtr

Hi Carrot01 you are so right about avoiding Vic Park. Went away for a week and my place was broke into. lost 10K worth of valuables.

that sucks. when was this?

i would certainly consider investing in vic park, there s a lot to like about its prospects

Back