where to buy in sunshine

Hi

anyone familiar with sunshine in victoria and any recommendations as to where to buy in sunshine? particular streets or is sunshine west a good option? looking to buy with potential to subdivide in the future.

cheers

The best is "Matthews Hill", which is between Monash Street and Matthews Hill Reserve. It's almost like a completely different suburb to the rest of Sunshine. Add 50-100K on the value of houses in this area compared to the rest of Sunshine. Tightly held.

2nd best area is the heritage overlay streets, being Monash, Benjamin, Chapman and Couch Streets. Beautiful wide streets lined with period homes. There's restrictions to development here though with the heritage overlay, so do your research if you want to knock something down on these streets.

The last (but generally most affordable) section is between Ballarat Road, Monash Street and Duke St. No streets here that I am aware of which are better than others, it's best to check out the particular street in this section depending on what is for sale.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: S.T
Completely agree with the above. Matthews Hill is the ideal area although its prices are up to 20% higher than other areas nearby.

The best is "Matthews Hill", which is between Monash Street and Matthews Hill Reserve. It's almost like a completely different suburb to the rest of Sunshine. Add 50-100K on the value of houses in this area compared to the rest of Sunshine. Tightly held.

2nd best area is the heritage overlay streets, being Monash, Benjamin, Chapman and Couch Streets. Beautiful wide streets lined with period homes. There's restrictions to development here though with the heritage overlay, so do your research if you want to knock something down on these streets.

The last (but generally most affordable) section is between Ballarat Road, Monash Street and Duke St. No streets here that I am aware of which are better than others, it's best to check out the particular street in this section depending on what is for sale.

Hope that helps.

Hi

Thank you so much for your insight. It really helps as I am not from the area. Any pockets in Sunshine West that are good to invest in?

I am looking at spending $450 max and decided to go for sunshine as it seems to be an up and coming area from what I have read. I found houses on 700m2 in Sunshine West for that price ???

I am trying to do my homework and understand how to use the statistical information demographics and property yeild growth etc to decided ont he investment.

I have contemplated seeking professional advice but not sure if it's worth it and how much they charge and which agency is worthwhile?

Regards
Sara

IMO Sunshine West shares almost nothing with Sunshine other than the name Sunshine. However, it's not bad. I just don't put much value in the area.

I agree with the above too.

If you are looking just outside Sunshine, focus on Albion instead. It's just as close as Sunshine West but is superior for similar money.

Between the three, it's definitely

1. Sunshine
2. Albion

3. Sunshine West

If you are looking just outside Sunshine, focus on Albion instead. It's just as close as Sunshine West but is superior for similar money.

There are OK pockets of Albion, but you can't walk to everything like you can from good parts of Sunshine.

The slummiest flats I've seen in all of Melbourne are on the Albion side of the Ballarat rail line, around Forrest, King Edward and Ridley St.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37...m4!1e1!3m2!1s1fwaIaUy5FkbgaquPV8cVg!2e0?hl=en

There are OK pockets of Albion, but you can't walk to everything like you can from good parts of Sunshine.

The slummiest flats I've seen in all of Melbourne are on the Albion side of the Ballarat rail line, around Forrest, King Edward and Ridley St.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37...m4!1e1!3m2!1s1fwaIaUy5FkbgaquPV8cVg!2e0?hl=en

Lol I agree.
There are beautiful period houses, some of the nicest in the west, then 6 blocks of the nastiest units you have seen. (My father lived in one not long ago).

If I was NOT going to develop a house in this pocket I wouldn't want to buy a PPR here.

But in its defence there are nicer streets with some good buying opportunities that I would live in myself.
All suburbs have different pockets, but the disparity between them can vary.
In the west this seems to be more prevalent.

Another case of understanding the market within the market.

In the main section of Albion (so not Forrest Street), those ugly flats are not prevalent. The majority of streets are lined with beautiful period homes (mostly californian bungalows) and, in terms of development, there's a lot of granny flats and new townhouses popping up. The streets and really wide and quiet as well. It took me by surprise when I visited the suburb recently just how nice it looks. It's not the best suburb in the west but far from the worst and far from being a place when you wouldn't choose to live. I think it challenges the majority of Sunshine in terms of street appeal in its nicer pockets. One doesn't need to look far to see that Sunshine has quite a way to go before it becomes a suburb that many would choose to live in (the CBD area, terrible).

I agree with the previous poster - every suburb has its nice and not so nice pockets, but the difference is wide in this section of the west. Of course, that's going to change over time the way these suburbs are developing.

Sunshine

The sunshine area has been getting allot of interest as of late.
There are plans to turn Sunshine into a HUB for the west and there are some good opportunities in the area as well.

Deer Park is also a good place to look at, It will be only a matter of time before the areas becomes popular.

Avoid the section that's recently been in the news for Asbestos. I'd even add an extra buffer to that area to stay well and truly away.

Bringing this thread back up, what do people think of values in Sunshine and Albion increasing over the next 5-10 years? So much is changing about these areas that it has to happen, but I still struggle to see how these areas will become the next hip innerish-city locations to live that has driven up prices in the west for closer suburbs.

Bringing this thread back up, what do people think of values in Sunshine and Albion increasing over the next 5-10 years? So much is changing about these areas that it has to happen, but I still struggle to see how these areas will become the next hip innerish-city locations to live that has driven up prices in the west for closer suburbs.

I am actually wondering the same about the potential increase in house prices in Sunshine, and Sunshine West over the next 5 years. Current prices are still relatively low when compared to other suburbs that are the same distance or further from the Melbourne CBD. Basically I'm looking for a 3 br house for around 300-400k as close to Melbourne as possible. Sunshine West seems to be the best bet under this criteria. But just not sure on what capital gains I can expect from there.
So if anyone has comments on this please do share :)

sunshine west

Sunshine West is a tough one to pick, so is Sunshine for that matter. Personally I find it hard to imagine either of these going crazy but one the other hand, previously very similar locations have done just that.
For me it would be a tough decision. Prices here are cheaper for a reason.

Last edited:
Sunshine West is a tough one to pick, so is Sunshine for that matter. Personally I find it hard to imagine either of these going crazy but one the other hand, previously very similar locations have done just that.
For me it would be a tough decision. Prices here are cheaper for a reason.

Thanks for the response Ermat.
You mentioned prices are cheap for a reason. I've always thought the reason is that the crime rates in the area are (or were) high. I believe the Sunshine police are kept pretty busy (or at least used to be). Apart from that, are there any other reasons that you think are effecting this area's house prices? This is an open question for anyone to comment of course.

For an investment - the highest Rental density in the suburb is between Hertford-->duke-->monash st. Around that 40% rentals in this area, and it also seems to attract slightly than high rents in this pocket.

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader/lurker.

I went to a few auctions around Sunshine area in the last few weeks and then went for a drive to get a feeling of the surrounding area.

Just wondering what are SS guru?s opinion on capital growth of Sunshine North compared to Sunshine West and Deer Park? The area north of Ballarat Road, west of McInTyre Road seems like a nice pocket to live. To the west of western ring road up to main road east of St Albans looks, well.., not as good, but seems to be reasonable, as in I wouldn?t mind to live there myself.

PorkBellyLover

Back