Where to buy/rent close to La Trobe University?

My youngest daughter will be moving to Melbourne to study at La Trobe University in January and would like to buy/rent near the Uni. She is after a 2-bedroom abode with garage (preferably a townhouse or in small group) in a quiet area - and is not into the typical student accommodation.

Can any Melburnians suggest where to rent/buy - and where to avoid?

Thanks
LynnH

I'm guessing you are referring to Latrobe's Bundoora campus. I'd suggest keeping away from Heidelberg West (see previous threads). My vote is for Ivanhoe, Macleod, Heidelberg.

The Y-man

How near? Preferrably 10 to 15 minutes drive maximum. (Or is that too restrictive? - it has been ages since I've been to that part of Melbourne, so don't know how hectic/crowded the roads are nowadays).

And, yes, it is Bundoora campus, valleymist.

Cheers
LynnH

Lynn

I live in the area.

10 to 15 minutes drive gives you a lot of possibilities.

Heidelberg, Heidelberg Heights, Bundoora, Macleod, Yallambie, Watsonia, Lower Plenty, Montmorency, Greensborough, Reservoir, Mill Park

Heidelberg West is much closer than the others, from some parts you can easily walk to the campus but you would need to be careful as to which area you chose, there are good and bad areas. From some parts of Macleod and Reservoir you can also walk to the campus.

Rents in the area vary considerably depending on which suburb you choose.

Chris

My brother rented for several years to students his 2 bedroom unit at east Preston. He was 1 minute from the tram line and the trip time was around 15 minutes.

Back