where to find/join a managed fund

Hello

I want to put some money into a couple of managed funds (one that focuses on international shares and an aussie index fund).
Is the information provided online adequate to make a choice? It doesn't matter very much with an index fund, of course, but I'd like to know all of my options.

Should I see a financial planner about this?

Any advice, information or personal experiences would be appreciated. The books I have read seem to assume I will know what to do, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
I use funds.comsec.com.au but there are several other DIY no (or low) entry fee websites.

There is usually quite good online info, but I personally use a financial planner as well for information on more specialized products.

Cheers,

The Y-man

How do financial planners usually charge?

I don't want to sound like one of those people who doesn't want to do any of the work themselves, because I'm not, but does anyone know if students get discounts on index funds through banks (as we don't get charged bank fees)?

How do financial planners usually charge?

Many charge commission and trailers on entry to a fund (typically 1%-3% compared to 0% if you DIY)

Others charge by the hour or have a set annual fee for advice. The fee may then be reimbursed if you invest through them (and they get the commission and trailer)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I prefer index funds and use fee-for-service financial planners only, but they are a small minority.

For more discussions on index funds see the new "Passive Index Funds and ETF's" forum here, created just 24 hours ago!:

http://www.invested.com.au/91/

Very, very few active fund managers out-perform the index over the long-term. Even a 2% out-performance is thought to be extremely difficult, and this is excluding their higher fees.

Last edited:
For an ASX200 index fund, I used Vanguard (www.vanguard.com.au), they were easy to deal with, with a low rate of fees - less than 1%. They also offer an international index fund and some mixed (shares/property/cash) funds in various proportions.

- Dave99

Vanguard does appear to be pretty good. It was one of the first ones that I noticed.

Just out of curiousity, I'd assume that people here are pretty heavily invested in property, but do most of you have some money in managed funds? About what % of your assets?

Just out of curiousity, I'd assume that people here are pretty heavily invested in property, but do most of you have some money in managed funds? About what % of your assets?

We are discussing this in the thread Y-man linked to.

Some interesting and surprising asset allocations so far!

The majority here I suspect would be very over-weight in residential property as they are still in the accumulating/growth stage.

I prefer index funds and use fee-for-service financial planners only, but they are a small minority.

For more discussions on index funds see the new "Passive Index Funds and ETF's" forum here, created just 24 hours ago!:

http://www.invested.com.au/91/

Very, very few active fund managers out-perform the index over the long-term. Even a 2% out-performance is thought to be extremely difficult, and this is excluding their higher fees.

Agreed.

The commissions paid to Fund managers pretty much eliminate any advantage they may over Indexed funds.

Back