Where to go for help if you are being scammed?

It probably costs $200/hr going through 'the system'. $200 is chicken feed. The bank and the police aren't going to waste too much resource on this.

Move on.

pinkboy

But they can't prove fraud. All they can prove is that you went into the bank and asked to put money in someone else's account. The account was a legitimate bank account and they did as you instructed. They have no authority to take the money back out of her account

The fraud was what happened on Gumtree. She contacted her and said give me money and I will send a phone. She didn't.

Yeah I knew. Just responding to Sanj question of what I would like the bank to do. Of course I would want the bank to do something about it if it's possible.

You wouldn't know the feeling until you experience it yourself, of losing your money and receiving BS replies from her - and not bank nor law enforcement institutions could help you

Yeah I knew. Just responding to Sanj question of what I would like the bank to do. Of course I would want the bank to do something about it if it's possible.

You wouldn't know the feeling until you experience it yourself, of losing your money and receiving BS replies from her - and not bank nor law enforcement institutions could help you

I've been in the situation where I've sent something and NOT received the money. I chalked it up to experience and never done it again.

You need to take responsibility for risking your money to a stranger when it is clear that Gumtree tells you NOT to do it.

I know the feeling - we had $30,000 scammed out of us (fake agent for an alleged property sale)!

Although we felt it was daylight robbery, because I had signed the cheque, and it was deposited into a legit account etc, it wasn't an issue the bank or police could deal with.

It took a group of scammees (like us) giving testimonies and ASIC to eventually bring the culprit in - 5 years later.

The Y-man

gnokkybbob, you don't know it is the person you mentioned in the first post. You could have been speaking to anyone with access to her account. In fact it may not even be her account as the banks just go on account numbers and not names. I would suggest you remove the name from your post in case of defamation action.

$200 is a very small amount in the world of fraud. Police are not going to investigate at all. They have bigger crimes to look into - but it could be part of a bigger matter.

Deep breath $200 is not much. It's not fair, but the feelings are the worst part in a situation like this, not the actual loss.

So don't let this woman get in your head. People only get away with this sort of stuff for so long.

My dad got a text message once saying his bank account was compromised. So he rang westpac. That person said westpac didn't send the msg and the account was fine.

Then a guy walked into a branch and stole $50000 out of his account. Must have somehow bugged his phone so when he rang westpac to check on his account he had to give westpac all of his account details, which the criminal then used to steal the money.

Westpac policy in that situation is to freeze the account when someone rings them about such things and investigate it. So I would imagine someone got fired over that stuff up.

After a few months westpac confirmed the fraud and refunded my dad. Which was good of them.

But yes...some people can lose a lot of money with fraud. So try not to dwell on this too much.

Y-man, did you get any of your money back?

Technically no - but the OTP developer who this guy was claiming to represent offered all the duped buyers (including us) a discount on the purchase price to the amount we had been scammed of (i.e. they took a smaller profit). They then went and pursued the crim through their lawyers. It saved all of us a huge hassle, including any bad publicity for the developer.

The Y-man

If it were me, I would do some detective work. There is a Rhiannah W on twitter and other social media. I don't know whether it's the same girl who scammed you.

You could tell her that you will drop a cheque off to her place of work. If she give you a workplace, you could tell her that if she doesn't return the $200 you will tell her employer. There are other things you can do to find out her personal information.

We once paid a tradesmen a deposit of $500 to build a fence for us. He left town the next day. I found his surname in the white pages and rang it. It was his parents. They were horrified. I felt sorry for them. They made their son return the $500 to us.

Went to NAB branch on Swanston Street Melbourne at 08th Jan 15 and put on cash deposit to her account of AUD 200.

After I deposited the money, she said she had not received it - and I told her that it's impossible as it was cash deposit straight in the branch hence like what the bank said it would go through her bank account immediately. I tried to call her many times after and she never picked up the phone. On that night I texted to her that I would report this to the police and she replied that she was busy that day and she would send it next day.

On 9th of Jan 15 - I warned her I will go to police on the evening as she still had not sent the item. She denied it - she said she did not receive any monies in her account, the money went to her account for a while but it was 'bounced back' to my account.

As others have said, the bank can't help you. You willingly deposited funds into her account.

But I am wondering if she has a lien on her account (lets assume the money really did go in and out like she contends).

If so, this girl isn't stupid (she would be no stranger to people chasing her for money)

Or even if not, she knows you're not going to go to the hassle and expense of pursuing her for the sake of $200 - that is unless you're as irrational as she is devious.

So - either forget about it.

Or construct a plan that, for as little hassle for you imposes maximum inconvenience on her - and do what you must - and then let it go.

Got an old chequebook with an account with no $$$ in it? Just keep heading to the bank to 'deposit' $100 by cheque. Each time it bounces her bank will charge her a fee! :D:D:D pinkboy

As much as I like your deviousness.

Is it legal to deliberately pass / deposit bad cheques?

sort this problem out mate. What is the fraud department for, lol?

But what is the fraud? You went into a bank and physically deposited money into a legitimate bank account AT YOUR OWN CHOICE ... the bank has no case to answer ... the police have no case to answer.

Write it off to experience (and stupidity).

I think you'll find most people on here have lost money in one way or another due to choices - and have learnt from it. Yes - it sucks - and hard when you have a trusting nature.

Last edited:
sort this problem out mate. What is the fraud department for, lol?

where is the fraud? ??

What if she says her part of the story like this:

On 7th January 2015 - Gnokkybbob offered to buy my sealed Samsung Galaxy phone for AUD 600. I asked her to deposit AUD 200 first on that night and then I would express deliver it to her via Post the next morning.

She deposited the cash on 08th Jan 15. I received the deposit money and express posted her the phone next morning.

However, as promised, gnokkybbob did not pay me the balance of $400.

On 9th of Jan 15 - I warned her I will go to police on the evening as she still had not paid me.

-- Your word against her word :) --

If she has a modicum of pride, she would be embarrassed about her employer knowing what she is up to. Employers don't like to think that they're employing thieves.

That being said, she is probably unemployed.

call me an old fart, but society these days , puts zero value on pride,

the term old school, and honest and good old, seem to be a thing of the past

so many people these days will do anything for their 15 mins of fame or to get ahead, and burn bridges

thats my observation

thankfully, Ive instilled the importance of selfrespect, respect from others into my kids!!! I hope they arent just nodding their heads while ignoring me!!

It is Rhianna Walton. I spoke to her on the phones and got her driving licence too.

Funny how we are one of the most regulated countries for bank safety, state laws and all - but when we really encounter this problem, no banks nor police could help us.

FYI, I spoke to NAB Fraud Department and their response was really bizzare "Mate, don't think police will help you, AUD 200 is very immaterial - but you could try".

Not much you can do with the way pseudosocial promiscuity works on the internet sales sites,one of our tenants had a problem like this but it was for 2nd hand Toshiba laptop,and it was on gumtree,the person was based in Brisbane even gave out his address,but he would just keep saying it's been sent,in the end and being in the building game where once they break the normal rules ,then there are no rules,he just employed someone called the "Doctor",who for a small fee did a home visit and got all the money back..

If she has a modicum of pride, she would be embarrassed about her employer knowing what she is up to. Employers don't like to think that they're employing thieves.

That being said, she is probably unemployed.

If some random came to me with this sort of report about one of my employees I would just tell them to sort it out and it's none of my business. I wouldn't even talk to the employee about it.

I know the feeling - we had $30,000 scammed out of us (fake agent for an alleged property sale)!

Although we felt it was daylight robbery, because I had signed the cheque, and it was deposited into a legit account etc, it wasn't an issue the bank or police could deal with.

It took a group of scammees (like us) giving testimonies and ASIC to eventually bring the culprit in - 5 years later.

Wow... That makes me feel much better for the 5 months of chasing, subpoenas, court orders and garnishee orders I had to go through to get back $4,800 from a dishonest person not nearly as bad!

Back