Where to invest?

Everytime there's a downturn in the sharemarket, there'll be a new article in the (ironically named) Smart Investor and Australian Financial Review saying how 'cheap' stocks are. And therein people get sucked in.

And the same happens for property.....

You've already expalined you don't like shares

I agree ... just don't like having money sitting in the bank, even if it is earning 6%. I'd rather have my money work harder ... but it may very well be a time to sit and watch for the "eureka" moment.

Howmuch harder does it normally work in uncertain times than 6% guaranteed as the bank provides ?

***** I got a lot to learn

I agree ... just don't like having money sitting in the bank, even if it is earning 6%. I'd rather have my money work harder ... but it may very well be a time to sit and watch for the "eureka" moment.

Who's paying the best at call interest rates these days ? I've also come into some cash and want to stick it somewhere that's paying a decent return.. i'll be happy with 6%. I think rabo and ING are the main players?

NPBS (Newcastle Perm) have and account where, as long as you make a deposit each month (no minimum amount) and no withdrawls it pays 6% ... at least it did a couple of months ago so have juniors savings pocketmoney direct debited into that one.

** Just checked and it's down to 5.5%

I have mine with Virgin at 5.85% introductory on call and calculated daily, then drops to 4.65% after 4 months, which is where I have the bulk of mine ... it was at over 6% when I put the money in a few months back which I was happy with as most of my mortgages are locked in at 5.19%.

ING has the introductory at 6.1% - but drops back to 4.75 after 4 months (*******s).

Rabo doesn't have their rates on the website (that I can find).

The problem is that these high interest, on call, accounts chop and change as to who gives the best interest rate - so this months' best might be next months' follower.

There are still term deposits are over 6% but I like the on call.

Also, expecting to sell ppor soon so will have an influx of money and will seek out a better return then.

Virgin Money had it at 6.51% before last interest rate cut for 4 months intro - then move to the next intro rate.

Howmuch harder does it normally work in uncertain times than 6% guaranteed as the bank provides ?

***** I got a lot to learn

6% ROA fully taxed each year is pretty crap. Of course it's better than losing money but from an objective view it is pretty ordinary.

There are some really interesting threads popping up in the Economic sections ... some scaring the willies out of me (as designed) and left me wondering.

If all things come to pass and the world is plunged into a downturn (dragged by Europe and USA) - where should one put their money that will get a suitable IRR?

Don't want to put it into gold, as can't get a dividend off gold on which to live on - or use for further investment.

Is it cash in bank at 6%.

Is it blue chip shares putting off good dividend/value ratios?

Is it put in bank until property takes a hit and then jump back into IP's?

I am feeling rather lacking in confidence this time around I fear my investing mojo is missing in action - or maybe it's more a case of learning more, so suffering overload paralysis from to many options.

Lizzie, Property is a girl's best friend, forget diamonds...(speaking my experiences thus far), and a springboard to diversification..

My mantra's while standing on one leg, upside down, paying tribute to the great opportunity of investing:

"Buy Well"

"The Deal"

"Make Money when you Buy"

"Equity"

"Value adding"

'Compounding Growth"

"Due Diligence"

"Rental Returns"

'IRR"

="Fun"[Yippyyio icon]

Hope I didn't miss anything...have a great xmas.:)

You might not catch the bottom or know where it is. But panned out over time, I think there are still many good opportunities out there at the moment. Not entirely convinced having money in the bank is ever the best move.

Also depends on risk aversion and how many more years you have to go.

Not entirely convinced having money in the bank is ever the best move.

If you had 200k cash and no debt what would you do with it ?
I don't want to buy property and the stock market is making me sick.
Preservation of capital is a priority so i'm happy to stick it in the bank for the time being.

Right now (as in today) I'd take a calculated punt on this particular share that I have a good feeling about and progressively enter. That's just a little trading game on the side.

In the medium-term (ie 3 months to 6 months), I would progressively exit A$ and look for opportunities which is what I've been doing there. If one were to be very conservative, one of these strategies would be to buy hybrids issued by certain US companies.

Ed - am relatively young indeed. Risk management tends to be more apparent to older people who have been hit a few times and have less time left. So partly I gamble with my time and number of times I can rise. But obviously I still stress-test my investment cases. Without knowing what they are (not that I plan to say what they are), it's hard to explain I guess.

6% ROA fully taxed each year is pretty crap. Of course it's better than losing money but from an objective view it is pretty ordinary.

Yeah so true hey ...especially in these perfect economic times with nothing going, and whilst the investor is a bit unsure in about risk etc in other investment classes, (as the OP said they were )what sort of idiot would consider parkign their money in somethign pretty stable like a bank account that returns 6% ? must be a pretty big idiot to even think of such a dumb thing

I mean, surely you're making 235% return minimum on everythign right now right ? :rolleyes:

Yes - there are better returns with leveraging into ip's that pay for themselves ... but parking it at 6% ain't a bad option whilst looking for them.

In the medium-term (ie 3 months to 6 months), I would progressively exit A$ and look for opportunities which is what I've been doing there. If one were to be very conservative, one of these strategies would be to buy hybrids issued by certain US companies.

can you elaborate on the hybrid strategy?
are you talking preference shares? others?

appreciate your views.

Other than potentially buying a new PPOR, my current strategy is to invest in future liability reduction - paying down debt. I know that paying down debt doesn't give me leverage, but it does improve my cashflow over time, and reduce my overall risk position.

Back