Where to live in Melbourne?

Hello folks,

Mr Luce.Rocks and I are packing up our home in Barcelona and moving back to Oz. We've decided to move to Melbourne because we like the idea of living somewhere new.

We originally thought we'd look for furnished accommodation in the CBD and use the weekends to explore different suburbs before deciding where we'd like to live more permanently. But most of the furnished accommodation we've seen is pretty glum, so we've decided to look a bit further afield.

So my questions are:

1. Of the suburbs that immediately surround the CBD (i.e. 1-2km radius) are there any that we should particularly avoid? I've tried to do a bit of research but it's hard to really understand the feeling of a place without going there. E.g., we saw a cute warehouse apartment to rent in West Melbourne but is West Melbourne industrial in a cool way, or industrial in a depressing way? Is South Melbourne filled with brothels in an obvious way or in a discreet way? Etc.

2. Which inner city suburbs have the best transport links, given that we still want to explore the rest of Melbourne on our weekends?

Any advice will be gratefully received :)

Hi luce,

If you are only looking 1-2km you can't go too wrong:

North - North Melbourne, Fitzroy, Carlton, Collingwood etc - all good transport links (tram is fastest) with old period homes and trendy suburbs, with lots of cafes and restaurants. Carlton (apart from the student areas) would be considered the 'best' in terms of reputation but Fitzroy and North Melb are trendy cool now. Collingwood probably has the worst reputation and is hardest to get to but has picked up a lot in the past 10 years.

East - East Melbourne, Richmond, etc - East Melb is considered a very nice suburb with good transport links, parts of Richmond (on the hill) are also very nice with good transport and lots of bars, cafes, MCG etc.

South - Southbank, St Kilda Rd (Melbourne), South Melb - a lot more apartments than houses and probably dont have the character of North/East although South Melb is very nice with period homes, good transport, the market, cafes, closer to the beach, albert park lake etc.

West- West Melb, Docklands, Port Melb etc - IMO the least desired areas for transport, character, cafes, etc. Having said that they still have excellent proximity to the CBD but i'd prefer one of the other directions.

Some parts of west melbourne are fine- north melbourne end. If you haven't already done so, have a look at this street-map, so you can get a feel:

http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/home.cgi

South Melbourne has good areas and bad areas- it just depends where you are in the suburb. I personally don't like some of the housing commission parts- the area thats nicest is between the market and Albert Park.

I'd also have a look around the Brunswick/Northcote areas.. catch a tram from Elizabeth St and head north. St Kilda is worth a look too, mainly West St Kilda -- have a look at the pocket on the west side of Fitzroy St between Canterbury Rd and Park St. I think you'll love Melbourne if you've been in Barcelona for awhile, we even have some streets that resemble Las Ramblas :)

We've decided to move to Melbourne because we like the idea of living somewhere new.

...too a place that's hotter than Barce in summer and colder than Scotland in winter

. But most of the furnished accommodation we've seen is pretty glum, so we've decided to look a bit further afield.

Forget it - the whole city is like that.

... is West Melbourne industrial in a cool way, or industrial in a depressing way?

Ditto - Forget it - the whole city is like that.

Is South Melbourne filled with brothels in an obvious way or in a discreet way? Etc.

The whole city is full of those establishments in an obvious way.

2. Which inner city suburbs have the best transport links, given that we still want to explore the rest of Melbourne on our weekends?

Transport does not operate on weekends.

....... only kidding people! :D (except for the last point when it pertains to the particular spot I live in :( )

Looking forward to having you down here in our city. :)

The Y-man

p.s. (*warning* - blatant self promotion) we meet up every month - keep an eye on the meeting point and do come along!

Looking forward to having you down here in our city ... we meet up every month - keep an eye on the meeting point and do come along!

Gee thanks Y-man :) And I look forward to coming along and meeting the Melbournian SSers!

PS. Hubby is actually excited about the cold winters thing - can you imagine??

I think you'll love Melbourne if you've been in Barcelona for awhile, we even have some streets that resemble Las Ramblas :)

Oh, I'm sure we'll love Melbourne - but I hope you don't really have any streets that resemble Las Ramblas, i.e. filled with prostitutes, pushers and pickpockets! :p

South Melbourne has good areas and bad areas- it just depends where you are in the suburb. I personally don't like some of the housing commission parts- the area thats nicest is between the market and Albert Park.

Noted. Thanks for the advice, it's just the sort I was looking for!

Hello folks,

Mr Luce.Rocks and I are packing up our home in Barcelona and moving back to Oz. We've decided to move to Melbourne because we like the idea of living somewhere new.

We originally thought we'd look for furnished accommodation in the CBD and use the weekends to explore different suburbs before deciding where we'd like to live more permanently. But most of the furnished accommodation we've seen is pretty glum, so we've decided to look a bit further afield.

So my questions are:

1. Of the suburbs that immediately surround the CBD (i.e. 1-2km radius) are there any that we should particularly avoid? I've tried to do a bit of research but it's hard to really understand the feeling of a place without going there. E.g., we saw a cute warehouse apartment to rent in West Melbourne but is West Melbourne industrial in a cool way, or industrial in a depressing way? Is South Melbourne filled with brothels in an obvious way or in a discreet way? Etc.

Any advice will be gratefully received :)

my suggestion would be
(a) move into a serviced apartment short term (weekly rates are not too bad, monthly rates get better (but still more than furnished apartments), go for one that is relatively new and avoid st kilda (some real dives there). The advantage of this is (b) below. It gives you time to think and look when you are actually in melbourne.
(b) once in melbourne look for a furnished apartment (the difference between furnished and unfurnished is around $80-$120 per week). With a furnished apartment you can generally select lease terms of 3/6/12 months depending on the property (many are privately owned just like a standard residential investment property). There are some very nice fullyfurnished and some really trashy fully furnished (often just left over furniture that 'becomes fully furnished'). Therefore personal inspection is a must before signing the lease. Once in Melbourne you can make up your own mind which innercity suits you best)
(c) look at your longer term plans.

Hey Luce , by the way what do you think of Spain anyway? I always love the look of Spain . It always seems very easy going , gorgeous countryside .

Anyway , Melbourne , it's a touch further out but then you can still tram, bike or drive through the gardens to town , Sth Yarra . Fantastic place to live , great feel and people mix , clubs, restaurants and cafes , shopping. And train !
I love St Kilda too and it's got the beach .

Good luck

Hey Luce , by the way what do you think of Spain anyway? I always love the look of Spain . It always seems very easy going , gorgeous countryside ...

Not sure if you really want to know what I think of Spain ;) Let's just say that after an episode with Endesa (spanish electricity monopoly), I made an addition to this page (warning: link contains offensive language):
http://amplicate.com/hate/spain

The truth is I love Spain, I really do, and it breaks my heart to see how they run the place. The people are great (in a social context, not so great in a business/service context), the architecture, history, climate, street life, sense of community/family, food, etc., all great. But it is SOOOOO frustrating to live here.

Thanks Luce , what a classic. One of the Spaniards reckons we like beach, party , not work too hard and not mix work with fun , sounds pretty good to me . But then you read from all the happy :( visitors, and lots of them hey :confused:

Cheers

The truth is I love Spain, I really do, and it breaks my heart to see how they run the place. The people are great (in a social context, not so great in a business/service context), the architecture, history, climate, street life, sense of community/family, food, etc., all great. But it is SOOOOO frustrating to live here.

Ha , that sounds like me talking about Thailand except we don't have Gaudi and some people aren't so great in a social context . Business/service mentality is also poor , if demand drops then prices are increased :confused: Frustrating is a good word to use but you've probably developed a lot more patience for people in general. Sounds like you got stuck at level 2 as an ex-pat .. apparently level 3 is acceptance :p

Last edited:
Hi Luce,

We moved to Melb over a year ago and moved to Port Melbourne. It's been a great location and can't fault it. If you need public transport then ideally you would be between Bay and Station St... Traffic wise it is pretty good as you are 5 mins from the CBD and no traffic goes through here to get to the major freeways.

Restaurants, shopping, supermarkets and the beach all within walking distance. There are heaps of apartments for lease and sale (lately) across most price ranges.

Good luck with your move.

we saw a cute warehouse apartment to rent in West Melbourne but is West Melbourne industrial in a cool way, or industrial in a depressing way?

I lived in West Melbourne, it's good there. Walking distance to the Markets, heck you can walk into the city. Southern Cross station is ten minutes walk away. I prefer St Kilda though, cause it has the Prince of Wales and The Espy aka the best pub in the known universe.

Back