Where would you buy in North Brisbane?

Where to buy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Redcliffe near the water and if possible a block that may be developed down the track. It's still not hard to find property near the water at a very good price. Location Location.

Having said that M/field and Caboolture still have duplexs (both sides) around the 400k mark. These rent for around 250 per side so fairly good return.

So where you buy depends on why you are buying?

I live in Deception Bay and will buy my first IP next year. I want to buy a house and my budget is 250k. I will probably buy in Caboolture as it is a little cheaper than the other suburbs and I wont be stretching my budget.

Personally I think Redcliffe will experience more growth as they are building that new $300MM 3 lane bridge beside the Houghton Highway bridge, it's a much nicer suburb than the others (personal opinion), the water is a lot better than Debay mud flats and if they ever get the train that will only increase its value.. although they've been talking about that for years.

But hey don't take my word for it. I don't even own a house yet :p

Last edited:
What is your preference?

Hi,

On maternity leave - but former life was property researcher for Brisbane - all three areas have their own merits - what are your investment preferences?

Eg. Strathpine - great reatial area with good access to the city via road and rail. The new link road at the back of Brendale has opened up areas such as Warner, Cashmere and Bray Park because you don't have to traverse the busy Gympie Rd through Strathpine retail area.

Also, there is a resurgence in the commercial/industrial area of Brendale bringing along with it plenty of employment. If you want, you can go around to the area and see just how many new industrial units are going up, the quality of the owners/tenants of these units and understand what I mean - massive dollars.

The property prices in Warner Lakes/Cashmere/Joyner are edging up there. Residex have really strong growth predictions for these areas - please note though that Residex use statistical data based on historic values and these figures are strongly swayed by the number of acreage properties in these areas - so do your homework and don't pay too much for the property - you'll do alright.

Quality of properties - the above areas have strong owner occupied residences - reflected in the quality of the homes being built, the land sizes are better than most - although with strong demand and increasing holding/developing costs, the developers are starting to decrease the sizes of new blocks being released. There is a development in Joyner by Trask that have larger blocks - but these are more expensive. So question is - how much do you want to spend?

MORAYFIELD/CABOOLTURE: This area is approx 40km from CBD. It is classified as a Major Economic Centre under the State Govs urban plan released in 2006. It is linked by a train to the city and an hour from the southern end of the Sunshine Coast. It is more affordable -40% of properties in the Morayfield area are rentals. Growth is good due to affordability. Some areas such as Bellmere are attracting good owner occupation. It also has a strong Residex growth figure but again, this is swayed by the % of acreage properties in the area. Some nice houses though.

Morayfield and Caboolture are more affordable, land size is good, access to train the the motorway good. You can still get some well priced brick and tile homes for around $300k new house and land are $350K+.

DECEPTION BAY/REDCLIFFE:

This is a pretty good area that has a variety of properties to choose from. DBay to Redcliffe is like Dee Why to Manly - but as you can see - there isn't too much difference in price anymore. DBay has stigma of lower socio econmic base - but as with many of these areas - new developments bring with it more money and higher prices edge out lower incomes - so the tide will slowly change - good time to get in even at these prices.

Closer to water - even though DBay mud flats - still water. I have seen land on swamp edges in DBay sell for huge dollars - I wouldn't buy there but there are people who will - and they'll build really nice houses too - thereby edging up prices in the area. Good if you are at the other end of the price scale due to the ripple effect you will be riding.

Redcliffe - really nice area with lots of money floating around. Huge amount of redevelopment of shorefront properties slowly engulfing the sleepy little holiday cottages. Lovely recreational areas with quaint cafes. Dynamics of the population changing greatly to reflect more young couples with the hip new units and the beachside cafe scene. A bit like Maroubra used to be.

Limited land, close to water, good service facilities and shops - going to get a train line to Kippa Ring - eventually, the new road works due - all good signs. Plenty of redevelopments going on. Prices not cheap either but some good value properties little further away from water still good bet.

CONCLUSION: What is your budget and what tickles your investment fancy?? All are good bets - like I always say: Action is better than inaction - just do it.

Please verify for yourself the information I have provided above before you make any investment decision. Your own research is the most important data you should use to make this huge decision with. Good luck.

Having only researched Redcliffe/Deception Bay, I can only comment on this area.

I ended up with two neighboring properties in Scarborough.

As lura says, demographically Deception Bay is not as good a suburb as the more coastal suburbs such as Scarborough, Redcliffe down to Woody Point. If you want the Capital Growth and can afford an extra 30-40k, buy a property in one of these locations.

I believe this area has a huge way to go and once the bridge is near completion, we will see prices in property soar. Redcliffe has so much going for it and eventually lower socio-economic people will be priced out.

It will flow onto Deception Bay, but I don’t believe as much. I think Deception Bay will stay a lower income area for a long time to come, keeping prices for housing slower in terms of growth.

Just my opinion of course! And better to buy than not at all!;)

regards Jody

Last edited:
I like really all three. Voted Caboolture.

Brought another in Caboolture and looking at settlement in a couple of weeks. :)

Need to look else where maybe. Too top heavy in caboolture.

Aaron

Josko, you are spot on about D Bay. Likely to be a couple of decades before the demographic changes there.

Scarborough is a good spot, though I think the peninsula will be hurt a bit by high petrol prices. They really need a train line down there, as does North Lakes, though I think the govt's view is that N Lakes residents will soon be able to drive directly to Dakabin train station, and catch the overcrowded Caboolture services.

I'd be careful buying in Caboolture shire until I knew what was going to happen with petrol prices medium to long term. A very high % of people with stable employment commute 300km a week to Brisbane metro.

You also want to start tracking the number of listings on realestate.com.au for each favourite suburb. I track a burb out that way - 3 mths ago there were 7 unique listings under 300k, today there is 24! that's well above seasonal trend.

Morayfield has been great to me, did some heavy research into strathpine but couldn't find anything on the market when i was looking so that would be 2nd choice for me.

We bought in woody point and deception bay last year, and are happy with both our purchases. We would look at the redcliffe area again for our next property.

Narangba

I bought in Narangba last year which is close to these areas, a bit inland from D-Bay...
It has worked out good and I am happy with it!
Cheers!

I'm building in Kallangur at the moment. In my estate, there are heaps of rentals available at the moment which appears to be depressing the market. Houses that were advertised at $390 per week have been reduced to $370.

For some people, 24kms out from Brisbane CBD may be too far, especially with petrol prices the way they are.

Hop on a train during a nice sunny day when there aren't the office workers in the mist heading off to their trees in the CBD and take a journey from central station to the end of the line in a North direction. Note where the zoning around a station is high density and at the next stop is low density.

Pray to the zoning gods.

I think the train is an excellent way to get a suburb view compared to driving around.

Also a pretty hand rule of thumb I've noted is look for the reputation areas..

Think about buying in Deadcliffe during the 90's or early 00's, how crazy would you have to have been?

I spent some time seriously looking around Inala and Woodridge in 07 looking for a place to buy, I like the idea of buying somewhere my family think I'm crazy to consider, to me it's a great sign as when these places change they still leave their reputations and the low prices and when that changes it's probably too late to get the bargain basement deals. Of course you want to make sure the reputation isn't spot on!

Think about buying in Deadcliffe during the 90's or early 00's, how crazy would you have to have been?

I spent some time seriously looking around Inala and Woodridge in 07 looking for a place to buy, I like the idea of buying somewhere my family think I'm crazy to consider, to me it's a great sign as when these places change they still leave their reputations and the low prices and when that changes it's probably too late to get the bargain basement deals. Of course you want to make sure the reputation isn't spot on!

This is exactly what I did, but in 2004. :) And I got a bargain.

This is exactly what I did, but in 2004. :) And I got a bargain.
I was looking at the same time as the shooting tragedy in a real estate office in the area, so... it didn't lift my view of the areas I was looking in that I might buy an IP there but not a PPOR.

I find it interesting how tudes change, take Zillmere, that gets a bad beat from the newspapers in the 1970's due to all the young rev heads in the area, when I was looking in 07 it was clear there was some real value on offer, probably still is. I think you can find even better examples as well.

Attitudes do change as you say. I liken Redcliffe to the Central Coast 10 years ago.

Terrigal is 85 km's from SYdney. When I moved up here alot of people, infact everyone I knew in the city asked me why I would buy a house so far away and commute.

That was when we bought our first IP for 176k in 1996 . We sold it in 2003 for 640k. (Mind you, I'd say now yu'd be lucky to sell it for $580k.
Anything within 3-500m to the water, is going to increase in price. The coast still has the highest crime rate in NSW. Yet those of us that live here know it comes from the more werstern suburbs - Gosford and the more Northern Suburbs where lower income families are yet to be priced out.

I believe this is happening now in Redcliffe. Just like we Sydney Commuters, people in Brisbane will head North in order to realise their dream once prices are unaffordable.:)

regards Jo

Back