Where would you live?When?

As the media is always talking about the sea change I thought it would be interesting to find out where the people on this forum would live, especially seeing as the forumites are liekly to be able to afford to live where they want to, if not right now in the future.

For me

Absolute beach front on the goldcoast. I love the beach and the surf, being able to walk from your land to the beach would be ideal. I really like hedges ave because of the one way street behind and the absolute beachfront, yet still close to shops and easy drive to Brisbane. Good weather all year round (I think Sydney has some outstanding beaches, I'm just to much of a wuss to swim there in winter). I like the sunshine coast too but Brisbane is a bigger drive away. My boy is 11months old and I am aiming to be on the coast before he starts school so that he can join nippers. Initally move will be to canal front because at $2.5m plus just for land on hedges ave I would have to be very wealthy before I could justify spending so much on my PPOR.

Can't wait to hear others ideas.

Darryl

I live near enough to the beach, lifestyle is great etc. I would love a waterfront mansion in the Sutherland shire somewhere (Lilli Pilli, Grays Point, Buraneer etc) or a a Mansion (complete with pool, tennis court, big block etc) on the North Shore somewhere (Wahronga, Roseville, Dural etc)

/Me keeps dreaming

EDIT

Here are some examples :)

http://www.domain.com.au/listing.aspx?mode=BUY&id=2004041012#

http://www.domain.com.au/listing.aspx?mode=BUY&id=2004100682

http://www.domain.com.au/listing.aspx?mode=BUY&id=2004055611

Aren't they just stunning? my god.

Last edited:
Same as you Darryl! My wife and I have been looking at the Gold Coast for many years. We holiday up there two to three times a year. I was looking at a separation package from work years ago and that was the grand plan, to move up there. But the package never eventuated. So, I will wait till I am 55, in about 3 years time and assess the situation then.

Having lived in Brisbane for all of my 24 years, I can agree that the Gold Coast is still great, even having been there thousands of times now!!!

Not meaning to gloat but from where I live on the Southside of Bris-vegas, last Saturday it took nigh on 39 minutes from my front door to Maccas at Surfers Paradise. The new highway is quite amazaing and must be making the commute between the Coast and Brisbane much easier for those who live there and work in Brisbane. I myself have a few friends who do it and it used to be a nightmare but is now much better. SO!! if any of you southerners think that the drive from GC to Vegas is 2 or more hours, this provides food for thought.

For me, I much prefer the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast as the GC extends so far and is populated most of the way along. On the Sunshine Coast you either have to be at Caloundra, Maroochy, Coolum or Noosa. Plenty of spare land between some of them!! Just my thoughts though!!

Dos

Near the beach as well for me.

Somewhere with a left that tubes for ever, and surfed by enough people to lessen the odds of being someone's lunch. :)

And not a place that gets flooded with holiday makers.

Don't know where it is yet, maybe I'm asking too much.

In that case I'll settle for beach side place near a small airport so I can go on the occasional extended surf safari.

When I'm sitting out the back at King kong Island (Fiji), with no pressure to go back to a job, just catching wave after wave, that's where I want to be.

That's when I'll know I'm free. :cool:

How about a decent house in a suburb like Gladesville, Sydney (preferably with water views) - with one weekender on Pearl Beach (NSW Central Coast) and one in a nice little town in the Blue Mountains. That would ensure you don't get bored of any one place!

If i walk about 60 seconds from my front gate im on the sand at the extreme southern end of Umina Beach. Just a short walk around the point is Pearl Beach which Sanchez mentions.

Im at the moment looking for a 2nd PPOR (if there is such a thing) in Sydneys inner west (attending auction at Newtown this Saturday).

Umina is a great spot, just over an hour to Sydney CBD and excellent to raise a family (which is why we moved from Sydney 3 years ago)

ps: I lived for a short while on Hedges Ave in the late 80s. Its a fantastic possie but i lived on the opposite side of the road to the beach. I remember a house a few up from me was selling for about $90k then. The old Broadbeach pub was a hoot :D

How surfers has changed since then, for the worse id like to add.

This is fun!
I like Sanchez's idea of a couple of weekenders too. Sounds ideal :)

For myself and my family, we are aiming for a single level very private Northern beaches home with a fantastic view of either Pittwater or the beach, walking distance to the surf, on a large block (an acre would do me nicely!) with an ig pool to wash the sand off. Hmm. Lovely......

Hi all,

We are already living in the place of our dreams, which we built ourselves 16 years ago(still finishing it if you ask my wife:eek: ) Country property on a few acres, 12 mins to large town(Colac), 2hr 15min to Melb CBD.
It did not require dreaming,believing to happen. All it took was ACTION.

bye

For us, there probably is no one ideal place. More than likely looking at living close/inner city Brisbane mainly as we are finally enjoying the lifestyle it affords, but with weekenders either up or down the coast. The decision as to where still varies as we get to know Qld :) But most definitely a PPOR plus a weekender......

hey, since we are at it, why not one at either end of the qld coast? :)

sam

Lupus,

How about nice place at Main beach and one on the point at Kirra?? 1 close to Surfers, 1 close to a myriad of Golf Courses and Nth NSW Clubs!!!

Dos

Dos.
Hmmm now that raises some interesting thoughts :)

Have to admit, the Kirra one sounds fantastic....avoid the main hustle and bustle of main beach. Not the nicer parts of the coast around there....too many people :) Surprising coming from the person who wants to maintain an inner city PPOR :)

However, the other option was thinking further up north....perhaps Noosa for the restaurants? :)

What about your personal preferences? :)

Sam

I have an Auntie & Uncle who live on the Brisbane River at Hawthorne, Brisbane. As I lived there for a few years (when I was a young fellow), for me there is no other place. Love sitting in the pool looking up and down the river with your own boat moared at the jetty.

Still saving up the cash to buy it from them when they retire. Don't know whether I will make it or not, worth around $3.5mil now, who knows what it's worth in 10 years but I won't die wondering thats for sure.

Jarrod
Jarrod Lane Real Estate

Well, I have friends at Cooloongatta, just around from the point at Kirra and it is sort of like a country town on the beach! It is quite laid back and all the services are on their doorstep.

I like Noosa a lot but only to visit. Not keen on the strange looks you get if you go to one of the Hasting St Cafes more than once in a weekend, you know, the old "do you think your local or something" look. (Sorry to those who live there, I am sure not all of you/them are like it).

As long as I had the beach close and a golf course just as close, I would be alright. Going to teach the wife soon how to play and she is keen to learn. She is even keen on the cricket now! Ah, got a good one there or I trained well!!!

Dos

For me it would be Noosa Heads (QLD) or Yallingup (WA).

Noosa - Love the cafes, beaches, warmth and the laidback lifestyle. I would live on the canals and take the boat out fishing at any opportunity.

Yallingup - Love the lifestyle, beaches, local pub and the wineries of Margaret River. I would live on the hilltop overlooking the great left hander surf break.

Of course both areas have excellent surf breaks but in Yallingup it is basically a wetsuit all year round.

Nice to dream. Gotta go back to my two bedroom terrace now...

Damo :cool:

Hmm, interesting thread! I think I tend more towards the Sunshine or Gold coast hinterlands.

I love Canungra, and Springbrook. And I used to live in Peachester, which is near Maleny in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Peachester was lovely - only moved from there because of work. Maleny used to be gorgeous but now it's been taken over by too many retirees and I think the attractive semi-alternative character has been lost, sadly.

Both of these areas are near-ish to the beach (if that's what I want, which I'm not sure!), but still in the hills and country-ish ... That's what I like!

Yes Dos, I agree with you Main Beach and I am so lucky I live here in a 3br apartment with ocean views but the only other thing I would want is a penthouse here with its own private pool with 360 views but as I dont have a spare 5 million or so I will have to settle for my apartment and there is no other place I would want to live..this is paradise.

I get bored in any one place no matter how nice, change is good, so I would have multiple places to live.

• An apartment in Paris.
  • Country house: Farm land going down to a private beach along the Tasmanian coast (summer time only), a little boat ramp, some crayfish pots, and a BBQ for today's catch.
  • Apartment Tokyo's Ebisu area
  • House on Chinamans beach in Sydney's north.
  • ....have I ran out of money and time yet, if not then there is more!
  • Beach house in far north QLD, Port Pouglas (on that nice hill overlooking the bay/harbor)
  • A winery (including tasting room) in NZ or WA Margaret River.
  • A winter hideaway in the Mt Beauty area near Fall Creek ski resort in Victoria
  • ...yes I also like big waves, so a somewhere nice along the coast north coast of NSW or WA.
  • I am from Melbourne so I better have a place there too...let me see...yes South Yarra has always appealed to me, doesnt have to be huge.
  • And the time to enjoy it!

Last edited:
I would have to say
Hastings St Noosa
or sunshine coast
OR I love near the water at broadbeach gold coast
visit above January yearly
If I can get to convince the wife
hopefully in the next couple of years

Back