Where would you put 200k now?

I'm already thinking about my next house :D

Investment wise, where would you throw 200k at now?
Australia wide - house, villa, townhouse, regional, city - no restrictions besides relatively small budget.

i'd take a bull spread againt the all ords - now the dollar is back to US85c i would expect a rally back to 91-92c and drag the all ords with it.

or i'd buy a FK load of BHP & Bluescope shares, and a 12 month call, and sit.

or i'd pay my mortgage down a bit to improve cashflow.

Not interested in shares but thanks anyway. My post was concerned with property investment.

ING is a valid option but I'd rather tax benefits through property.

Would like to hear some comments on actual areas you'd invest in for this amount :)

Hi tiger,

agree with units4me. For regional my pick is Ballarat will give you land content for 2-3 future t/houses with a box to rent for now. Be very careful of heritage zoning that affect much of the central properties. Corio, Norlane in Geelong. Even parts of East Geelong known as Thomson you'll get a house on development land for around 200 K.

If you can do around 220 K I like Broadmeadows. You'll get 600-650 sq m with a box for that and around 1 km from town centre and the train. Also some spill-over of increasing value on the back of Glenroy having flown. All around 14-16 from Melb CBD.

Of course these suburbs are not as well regarded, however you'll have tenants at an affordable rent with upside of developing later or at least getting a DA and flogging off, therefore value adding.

Have a read of these, if you haven't already:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43698

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43624

if you're only looking property, i would say look for a good yield (4.5%+) in a solid CG area. as long as it's a consistant growth performer - even if only 5%pa - rents will follow.

A bit of dirt on Sydney's Lower North Shore somewhere. Assuming servicability is Ok, then a 10% deposit on $900K house (there are still a few of them), the rest on stamp duty, legals, and a basic reno. In fact, give me 6 months (and hopefully a few sales of regional IPs) and I'll put my money where my mouth is. :)

Sorry, just realised we were talking about purchase price of $200K. OK. I just agreed on exactly this price for a 3 br character cottage in a good part of town in Orange. Needs a reno. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise :)

Some nice little cottage on land that you could subdivide, put your 200k on it do a quick make over , getit valued, then borrow for and apply for build ok for house number two, as number one covers itself, then build number two, sell them both, and do it again twice over, in the same financial year if you can.

Are you a risk taker Tiger?

How about Blackwater in QLD? Mining town.
$270k for house rented @$600 pw.

Anna Bligh announced $100 million to be spent by QLD Govt, in infrastructure in Blackwater on the weekend.
Of course that will cover many areas in that region, not just Blackwater.

That sought of announcement lessens the risk somewhat!:)

Just a thought.

Mining towns get $100m boost

SMH Date: September 01 2008

QUEENSLAND'S resources industry is cheering a State Government plan to spend $100 million over three years to improve facilities in its booming mining towns.

The chief executive of the Resources Council, Michael Roche, said the targeted government funding for infrastructure was a welcome boost for community development and other assistance programmes that have been sponsored by mining companies for many decades.

"QRC and its members have lobbied strongly to ensure that the needs of communities in regions such as the Bowen and Surat basins and north-west Queensland are recognised and rewarded through tangible returns such as improved community services," Mr Roche said.

Improvements in resource community infrastructure were critical to attract and retain employees, especially with economic forecasters pointing to a potential doubling in size of the coal industry by 2020, he said.

Under the Sustainable Resource Communities Agreement, mining companies will have to talk to the Queensland Government about their projects before they could go ahead, the Premier, Anna Bligh, said yesterday at the opening of a new coal education centre in the town of Blackwater. She said the agreement was aimed at strengthening partnerships between government, industry and local communities and improving the regulatory environment for social impact assessment for new resource developments.

"It will be backed by a $100 million funding program over three years for economic and social infrastructure in regional and rural communities in key mining areas," Ms Bligh said. "Projects may include new or upgraded roads, schools and health facilities."

Signatories to the agreement are the State Government, the Local Government Association of Queensland and the Queensland Resources Council. The first group meeting will be in the town of Moranbah on September 11.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 3 bedroom/2 Living area House on a 705sqm regular shaped flat block in Frankston North Vic for $218k. 55m frontage!
It's 2 minute walk from Seaford Hotel, Petrol Station, Bottle Shop, IGA, ALDI, KFC, Cheese Cake shop, News Agency, Chemist, Milk Bar, Pizza shops, Chinese Food, Parks, Sports Ovals, Bus at the end of the street to Frankston/Dandenong, schools all around... 2k's from Seaford Beach straight down Seaford Rd. Eastlink!
Anyway, it's a rough area but i'm hoping it will pick up long term. 10-15yrs

Back