Which Mobile Phone

My 6yo Nokia 3120 was dying a slow death, so I've been looking for a newie.

Was going to replace it with something simple like a $60 Nokia 1208, but realized I could get more value if I renewed an expired contract with Optus.

After humming and haaing over Optus' recent network failures and their ongoing hassles with Project Reitz, I took out another contract and got a Nokia 6220. Will probably take me a month to learn how to use it. 5mp camera with flash, video with audio, gps, fm radio, 1GB storage....

The camera and ability to play podcasts anywhere swayed me.
Wasn't interested in a pda as I don't fancy typing onto a matchbox sized keyboard...

What's everyone else's view on mobiles these days?

After years of dedication to samsungl i have recently purchased a HTC touch dual, which i am trying to learn to use and regularly infuriates me! I decided to move to the PDA driven by my work as an agent and the demands of industry pushing agents to be available 24/7. The camera comes on at random times... so i assume i am hitting something i just dont know what. And i managed to set and alarm one day and now i can't figure out how to turn it off, so every morning if i like it or not the alarm goes off at 7.10am.

Otherwise it is a neat little machine... i am slowly warming to it.

Got a Nokia N95 with Vodafone. Best phone I've owned. So much so my wife has dumped her HP PDA & got one, and so has my boss.
It is easy to use, packed with features & the key factor - it rings. Coverage is great as its one of Telstra's so called blue tick phone for better reception.

WW

My phones with optus, we're about to swap over to 3. Since that last breakdown a few weeks back we have trouble getting calls, accessing email when on the road, screeching phones when you talk to people etc etc.

Have a look at their website... I've got a good contact in there (semi-high up), he said the N95 is the way to go. They piggyback off of the back of telstra so (hopefully) these issues will be removed.

Same time theres still time left on the contract and they offered to pay it out to get us across now. And thats about $600 in costs. So that and new phones for everyone...

If you want his details shoot me a PM

I also bought the Nokia 6220 classic recently, no cost on $29 Virgin cap how could I resist? :D
Great little camera on it and GPS to boot.
Bought a 4GB Micro SD card for around $25 and it doubles as an MP3 player.

I prefer the candy bar variety of phone. Don't need a PDA styled phone, though wifi would be handy.

nokia.gif

We have the same overpriced Samsung that everyone has around here, bought on a 2 year plan because we'd barely had our old Nokia for a year (purchased outright for $150) and it just seemed wrong to cough up $400+ for a brand new phone so soon. Its a nice enough phone, works fine, takes nice photos, can't complain (except for the price). Haven't hit a black spot for reception yet and I travel rural quite a lot.

Telstra sucks, btw. Overpriced monopolistic *******s.

I'm currently waiting for a real estate agent to ring back (could be waiting weeks, slack *******s) about renting a shop. Given that they are selling the block the shop is in - three shopfronts, two rented till 2010 for $187k, and there are two other shopfronts for lease as well, and several other vacant ones I'm sure could be leased if we ask nicely - I'm beginning to think it will be cheaper to rent a shop AND drive there every day AND get the phone connected there AND furnish it than it will be to sign my soul away to Telstra NextG for two years :eek: Wish there was that many empty shops where we'd actually like to be though.

Picked up an iPhone 3G.

More for the coolness factor especially since a lot of mobiles nowdays are crammed with features leaving the poor iphone slightly behind.

It really shines in useability and very simple and logical to navigate to the items you need.

The Appstore is good too.. Certainly has potential.

optus rang me about 6 weeks ago. my boss (executive level above me) was sitting next to me at the time. convo went soekthing like this:
(g=guy, m=me)

g" hi im so and so calling from somewhere"
m="sorry, where ?"
h="optus, your mobile phone company"
m='oh ok, what do u want'
g=well you've been with us for a while, we want to offer you five dollars a month discont
m= go on
g= well, we can give you a new phone for nothing and 5 a month off your bill
m=but you'd need to sign me on a new contract, right ?
g=thats right
m=well, i just bought a brand new phone outright about 3 months ago, so id ont really want one. (truth)
g=but this one does this and that and
m=but i have a new phone
g=but it does this and that
m=but you'd need me on a contract. i dont want a contract, or a freee phone, i have a brand new one
g=well you oculd give the phone to a friend
m=well, i'm not on a contract, and i'm happy not being on a contrac, because i want the freedom to tell my phone company to PISS OFF when their telemarketers ring me and won't listen to what i'm fxxing telling them
g=so you aren't interested
m= no, i dont want anew fkn phone or a new contract

this is very simialr to a call i had about 12 months ago.

I took out another contract and got a Nokia 6220. Will probably take me a month to learn how to use it. 5mp camera with flash, video with audio, gps, fm radio, 1GB storage....
Hubby did exactly the same thing yesterday. He really wanted a mobile without a camera, as he consults to some very secretive clients and he has to surrender his mobile every time he goes on site. There are no mobiles around that don't have a camera!:mad:

Anyway, he too will take some time to get used to it!:eek:

Hey, the jasjam - we had one too and threw it in the bin after 2 months - the worst mobile we have ever had. Kept shutting down, sent it off for repairs, still kept doing it, wouldnt make calls overseas, never received the texts we sent, truly, a piece of rubbish. When we were in Optus yesterday, the salesman (who sold me the iphone a couple of weeks ago) said that his was in repair too, and had been almost every month and no-one had been able to fix it!

Picked up an iPhone 3G.

More for the coolness factor especially since a lot of mobiles nowdays are crammed with features leaving the poor iphone slightly behind.

It really shines in useability and very simple and logical to navigate to the items you need.

The Appstore is good too.. Certainly has potential.

Try downloading Shazaam - free! If you hear some music you like but dont know the name, it will 'listen' then tell you what it is, then provide links to the itunes store, and even youtube, so you can buy it. Now that is seriously cool!

this is very simialr to a call i had about 12 months ago.

So in other words you could be half way through a new contract having paid $5 less per month for the duration and could have sold the phone outright to make some cash, but you didn't take them up on it 12 months ago? Not only that, but you rejected them again?

How long have you been with Optus? Whats the chance you would actually leave Optus in the next 12-24 months?

I want to move from my current Nokia E65 to a Blackberry. Anyone got feedback on the Blackberry? I'm with Three and they are offering an attractive deal.

Telstra never rings me to offer me discounts. My mobile phone bill has doubled (before calls) in the last year not gone down, and my landline bill is going to almost double in december (before calls).

i own a nokia N95 for quite some time already, and I am giving it a TWO THUMBS UP! i never have problems whatsoever with it..it is jumped of feature i am looking for a mobile phone..i think i might not buy a new one for a while..:D

I have a palm treo 750. It is good for typing and is reliable and well built. It is also a bit chunky but runs mobile windows 5 so you can use all manner of apps. I'd rate it 7/10

For a year now I have a Nokia 6233 and I added a 2 gb SD card so I can listen to music or audiobooks on the train. In my opinion Nokia make the most robust and easiest to use phones. I also had a Nokia 3120 for 5 years before the new one. Go Nokia

Back