Which white to choose ahhhhhh!

I am looking at whites whites and more whites until my eyes are glazing over!

I need a fresh modern white that will match almost exactly to a white laminate. I don't want the stark Polar White but neither can it be as warm or old fashioned as Antique White USA.

Has anyone used a "soft white" that still looks modern and architectual that they were happy with? Pictures would be wonderful. At the moment I am leaning towards Talc White in the laminate and Dulux Whisper White for the walls. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Use the Antique White USA from the Dulux Whites range.

This is NOT an AWusa like the old creamy ones. It's a nice warm fresh milky white. Goes with EVERYTHING.

asy :D

Yes, I'd stick with one of the Dulux whites...do like that paint.

I mixed my own white with a dash of apricot....still looks white to the eye, never cream, and adds a touch of warmth.:)

cheers
Sharon

Hi Pulse

When Whisper White is up on the wall does it hint of another colour especially on sunny days.......green, pink. apricot etc? Or does is just look like a fresh white with no hint of colour? Does it appear cold?

Yes Asy I agree that Antique White USA is a nice colour and I use it often however in the current project it is not "architectual" enough for the look I am after.

Whisper is a Dulux White but as I am sure you know there are heaps!

Hi GoAnna

Architectural in the sense of lofty spaces, or an industrial look, or one which will allow light and shade and pick up reflections of colour?

I bought a mis-tint can of White Swan low sheen a couple of years ago. It sat in the shed for a while, I'm not big on whites and prefer matt finish and didn't have anywhere I wanted to use it.

I generally use half strength Swiss Coffee Wattle Satin finish (oil paint) for the timber and doors. Swiss Coffee has ochre which takes the brilliance out of the white, but still produces good looking timber finishes.

When I was painting the shop, by the time I had arrived at the south facing ensuites I was a bit fed up with the ecru, remembered the White Swan, and started the painstaking task of, in a very confined space, painting raw clay bricks and really crummy, much abused particle board partitions. By the time I got the second coat on the brick walls and partitions, I was enamoured with White Swan.

It is a lovely white, picks up the subtleties of light and shade very well, and is a chameleon - the reflection of colour from fabrics in the room is great! Hard to believe that the walls are white, they adopt whatever is in the room with them. White Swan has black, umber and ochre. I have just painted overhead beams with it, against freshly painted base white ceilings, and it looks sensational. Very warm, very friendly (a few large trees suspended over your head need to look friendly!).

I don't know whether warm and friendly will be architectural enough for you, but I prefer a white with no primary tint, and this combination dries to perfection! The low sheen picks up a light more vibrantly than a matt would, yet doesn’t look shiny. It also washes better than a basic matt finish.

By the way, the beams were painted ‘white’, but it was a white with a yellow tint. I suppose the previous owner thought that ‘cream’ would look nice – in high gloss paint. This somewhat resembled the Sword of Damocles over our heads, and in a building where every room has exposed beams the cream was too high cholesterol for my liking!

The White Swan is, as the name implies, an elegant colour and the eye now travels past the beams instead of seeing the darn things as the focus of attention!

If you want to see it on site, you are welcome to come and see this masterpiece unfold!

Cheers

Kristine

Chalk USA

A couple of years. I settled on Chalk (white) USA from Dulux for the standard colour for the walls on all the units (and in the Professional Premium range).

Fiji Sands is the standard for the doors and trims.

Tony

Sienna Frost. Taubmans - I think. I've used it on 2 PPORs (when I'm not using orange and pink) and a rental property.
It was very popular with architects a few years ago.
Scott

Thanks Depreciator will have a look at the colour suggested.

Kristine thanks for your indepth reply.

It is architectual in the sense that I want a crisp modern white (although not stark) to highlight the architectual features of the room. So I want to shy away from any white that has a hint of another colour in it especially those that tend towards pink or peach as the room is very sunny and I don't want it to have a pink glow! It is a very minimalist style and the colour must suit each and every room, walls ceiling and trims. The walls themselves must not draw attention except to lead the eye or show off an architectual shape such as angled ceilings. The look hints at industrial but is not but it is very minimalist with the features being the flooring, the kitchen finsihes, the views and the unusual architectual lines and glazing. The window frames are clear anodised aluminium giving them a soft metalic look.

The white must also have the ability to seamlessly match with a Laminex so that a white kitchen can effectively fade into the wall.

I am very familar with Antique White USA and Chalk but they do not provide the look I am after in this instance.

A couple of years. I settled on Chalk (white) USA from Dulux for the standard colour for the walls on all the units (and in the Professional Premium range).

Fiji Sands is the standard for the doors and trims.

Tony

We also use Chalk USA for all whites ( except for " Brilliant " whites in bathrooms ) including kitchen cabinets / doors . Our interior decorator uses it extensively . Not sure how it compares with the one you mention initially. It's a warm white.

See Change

GoAnna,

In our PPOR we used Baker's White. I think its a dulux colour, but they can all do it. Its an off white which makes the place not feel too much like a bathroom. You don't want your walls and roof to blind you every time you walk in the front door. But maybe that's the look you're going for and I'm way off the page. Bakers white might be a bit Antique White for you. Its very similar to the chalk white See Change mentions and works well in most indoor applications.

We're very happy with the finished product and find our stark white cabinets in the kitchen don't contrast harshly with it at all. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Michael.

talking about whites , it can be worthwhile getting the kitchen cabinets made to your chosen white ( some companys will only have a limited range , but some will do any colour ) .

Also you can get downlights made to specific colours ( to match the ceiling white ) . if you're ordering a few , some lighting shops will do it for no charge ) . It does make a difference having the same white.

See Change

there are so many whites to choose from! All of my rentals have been painted Taubmans China White. I love it because it goes really well with dark timber floors and is a slightly warm white. All the trims are white enamel. This goes with everything including strange coloured kitchens etc.

If you want to match your laminate - can you take a laminate sample to a paint shop and get them to match it?

good luck
Amanda

All of my rentals have been painted Taubmans China White. I love it because it goes really well with dark timber floors and is a slightly warm white.

If you want to match your laminate - can you take a laminate sample to a paint shop and get them to match it?
Sounds a very nice white and so clever to have all ppors the same colour. No need to store lots of standby's in case you want to give a quick once over to cover scuffing between tenants.

Matching the laminate is a good suggestion. I took a cd soundtrack to the hardware and had them sample it for me... result my bathroom is "Beautiful Mind Green".... my tiny kitchen is Coke Can red and makes me happy every time I open the door.

Back