White Knight Tile Paint.

My wife and I are planning a renovation of a 60's bathroom. The house is a student renter so the result has to be serviceable and endurable. We don't want to replace more than we have to.

The vanity needs to re replaced and the shower resealed. But I was hoping to just dress up the existing tiles rather than replace them.

I have followed threads on the White Knight tile paint with interest.

Has anyone that has used this product got any before and after shots they can email me or post in the gallery?

Thanks folks,

Hi Simon,

We used the White Knight tile paint on the floors and walls of the reno we just completed....it looks fantastic and is very durable

If you followed the instructions to the T, I think it may solve your problem with water getting through the grout and damaging the walls behind

Glenn

Simon, using it in a house in progress at the mo.

Will take a few shots & try to get them online tomorrow.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks guys,

Acey look forward to seeing the pics - I hope it isn't too much trouble.

Glenn, the leak we have is in the shower floor and seems quite substantial. I believe we need to get it professionally resealed according to the building inspection.

I was actually hoping to do the entire bathroom with the paint - is it really tough enough for the floor?

Cheers,

Simon...
Used the stuff about a year ago and still pleased with the results.......BUT......make sure you dont take any short cuts on the preparation. Good luck
Elwyn D.

As Acey said, we are using it ATM. I needed another colour for a different set of tiles, so I headed to the hardware store today.

I had an interesting talk with the Painter guy there. He said that white knight is nothing more than a brand push, the paint's just the same as gloss enamel. with EPS added. He suggested I use EPS as a primer and then a gloss enamel for the paint.

I'm going to try it (it'll be a week or two til I get to that part thou).

I'll let you know how it goes (along with the white knight we are using elsewhere).

Jas

Jas,

your comment got me looking at some WK laminate and WK gloss enamel paint tins that I have. I don't know whether the paints are one and the same but the information on the tins claims WK laminate dries in about 2 hours and recoatable in 4-6 hours whereas WK gloss enamel drying time was 6 hours and recoatable in 16+hours. I noticed too that WK laminate is a satin finish (at least the tin I have is). Both clean up with turps.

I used some WK gloss enamel and esp on some laminated kitchen cupboard shelving recently and it came up a treat - as good as new. It did take the best part of half a day to dry.

MattT

By the way,

White Knight also works pretty good on porcelain toilets.

We painted the base & replaced the cistern to turn an ugly orange/pink toilet white.

Didn't paint inside the toilet as we don't care that much, but if you drained it this would be feasible as well.

Don't know about how long the paint will last though....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I used the WK tile paint in my 70s bathroom. I think, and all my friends agree, that it looks great. I dont know about durability, but it seems pretty hardy. I have a before and after shots of it, just trying to find a place to put them up....

I have read (and was told by numberous people), "dont use it on the floor tiles, its not durable enough." So I havnt used it on the floor.

You can put them up in the gallery - see the links above.

In addition I would be thrilled if you could email them to me on the address below.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by MattT
Jas,

your comment got me looking at some WK laminate and WK gloss enamel paint tins that I have. I don't know whether the paints are one and the same but the information on the tins claims WK laminate dries in about 2 hours and recoatable in 4-6 hours whereas WK gloss enamel drying time was 6 hours and recoatable in 16+hours. I noticed too that WK laminate is a satin finish (at least the tin I have is). Both clean up with turps.

I used some WK gloss enamel and esp on some laminated kitchen cupboard shelving recently and it came up a treat - as good as new. It did take the best part of half a day to dry.

MattT

Hey Matt,

I haven't used the laminate paint, but from what I remember the painter guy saying - lamite paint is an acrylic as it needs the flexability, while tile paint is an enamel. That would explain the discrepancy in drying times...

Jas

Thanks McKennal, for taking the time to post your photos for us,

The 70's have a lot to answer for - you certainly changed the look of those nasty tiles.

We had a similarly ugly look in our current PPOR. The bathroom tiles had a lovely tasteful lifesized BAMBOO design all over them. Yuk! Painting wasn't the answer for us as the walls were rotted and had to be replaced.

But I am amazed at the difference a bit of paint can do.

Lily

I just this morning finished painting over my beige kitchen splashback tiles with WK white. They look great, and this time I used a brush only, with (I think) a better finish.
Some tips:

If using a brand new brush, try soaking it overnight in hot water first so that you don't get as many bristles coming off when you begin to use it!

Work fast, as the paint is self levelling and dries quickly.

Close any windows nearby to avoid dust settling on the drying paint.

BTW, thanks McKennal for the photos. I forgot to take any "Before" shots (silly me) so can only photograph the "After" ones- I will endevour to put them up one day, when I get the time.....

Jacques,

Thanks for that. How did you keep the water hot overnight? If I simmer it on the stove it might boil dry. We have a slow cooker - do you think that would be suitable?

Cheers,

Simon,

I'd suggest that the only way you could do it would be to get a very large, VERY expensive good quality thermos flask and stick the brush in that.

And then Jacque might tell you where to stick the brush :D

I sent this in an email to someone, might help you guys as well:

> How long ago did you do it?

About 3 weeks ago. just to give you an idea about how long it took:
i am a slooow painter, and it took around 2-3 hours for each coat of the bathroom (that is everything in the bathroom except the shower cubicle which I will do in a while). 3 coats - one undercoat, two top coats. I tried one small area with two under-coats, but it made no difference that I could see.

> Any preparation tips?

- use a good (ie. not a $2) paint brush - that made a _huge_ difference.
- use tape for the edges, and take it off while its still wet so it doesnt chip the edges.
- i know it says to get good ventilation, but make sure you dont get too many insects flying around, they stick to the paint really easily.
- make sure when you paint, the surfaces you are paiting are free from dirt etc - as well as areas surrounding the areas you are painting - as the brush brushes up against them as well.

PS: I have done hardly any painting before, so maybe the above was obvious :)

Oh GeoffW- don't tempt me!
I'm sure Simon has worked out by now that the water itself doesn't have to stay hot the whole night. The hotter water will initially work better at dislodging the looser bristles. That's all!

Back