Who is liable

Hi
Just had a call from my PM - the tenants have claimed that a tree has fallen down and smashed there window in there car.

Who pays for the window in there car (tenants car insurence or my landlord insurence)

Also if the tenant calls and complains to the gas company that they can smell gas - later on find out there bottle was empty - who should be paying for the tradesman to explain that the gas bottle was empty or all it needed was re-filling

Thank you

Hi
Just had a call from my PM - the tenants have claimed that a tree has fallen down and smashed there window in there car.

Who pays for the window in there car (tenants car insurence or my landlord insurence)

Also if the tenant calls and complains to the gas company that they can smell gas - later on find out there bottle was empty - who should be paying for the tradesman to explain that the gas bottle was empty or all it needed was re-filling

Thank you

notify your insurance company and let them work it out with the tenant.

how can they smell gas if there is none?

With the car, have your PM advise your tenant to call their insurance company to sort it out.

Further, clearly inform your Pm that there was no need to have you informed unless the tree caused damage to your property.

Did they come back with a quote to remove said tree?

Gas bottles are their problem unless there is a fault with your property.

Again, why is the PM not dealing with these issues themselves?

exactly as chilliblue said.....

if a tree on the street fell down and smashed their car who would they call? (no not the ghostbusters lol) that goes through their own insurance

as for the gas... if a tenant reports maintenance and a tradesperson is sent out and there is no problem then they are liable for the cost of the tradie.

Your PM should have just dealt with both of these issues and not even bothered contacting you for your response. Possibly maybe just an FYI email stating this is what the tenants asked and this is what i told them... but that would be it...

The only time this would be a little confused is if the tree had previously been reported to you as unstable/dangerous/dropping branches etc. Then you may be open for some liability if you had done nothing when originally reported.

Little confused about the tenants smelling gas but as above, not your problem. Perhaps have a chat to your PM about not calling you unless required.

Hi Holly

The tenants used there own car insurence to fix there widscreen and I paid for the tree to be removed.
There was no more said on that matter which I thought was a good out come
Thanks

Back